Sapphire Mexican Riviera - Preplanning the gifts!

2Oregonians

Don't beat me up for asking this. :p

We're going on a Mexican Riviera cruise in November, and I want to "bring back" some kind of small souvenir for the 9 kids and their parents (6 families in total) that I have in my Daycare. I put quotes around "bring back" because I'd like to buy the gifts before I go. I realize that's odd, but think of it this way.. it would take a lot of time to shop for 9 kid gifts and 6 parent gifts. Let alone the space it would take up in my luggage. And I would probably purchase something in one port, only to find something better at the next one. So to avoid the headache, does anyone know of a website with some good Mexican trinkets that I could order online? I'm only looking to spend a few dollars here. Even at $10 each, that's $150!! When we took an Alaska cruise, I did the same thing. They weren't necessarily MADE in Alaska, but were very reminiscent of the area... and no one knew the difference. Any ideas??

OR -- if you know of a specific shop in a specific port that would be perfect, tell me about it and maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy them there. LOL. Either way, thank you in advance for not thinking I'm nuts. :eek:

Don't beat me up for asking this. :p

We're going on a Mexican Riviera cruise in November, and I want to "bring back" some kind of small souvenir for the 9 kids and their parents (6 families in total) that I have in my Daycare. I put quotes around "bring back" because I'd like to buy the gifts before I go. I realize that's odd, but think of it this way.. it would take a lot of time to shop for 9 kid gifts and 6 parent gifts. Let alone the space it would take up in my luggage. And I would probably purchase something in one port, only to find something better at the next one. So to avoid the headache, does anyone know of a website with some good Mexican trinkets that I could order online? I'm only looking to spend a few dollars here. Even at $10 each, that's $150!! When we took an Alaska cruise, I did the same thing. They weren't necessarily MADE in Alaska, but were very reminiscent of the area... and no one knew the difference. Any ideas??

OR -- if you know of a specific shop in a specific port that would be perfect, tell me about it and maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy them there. LOL. Either way, thank you in advance for not thinking I'm nuts. :eek:

Is there an international grocery store near you? You might be able to find cookies and candies made in Mexico. The plus side of buying them in the U.S. is they'd probably not contain any ingredients found to be harmful according to the US government.

Brightly painted wooden animals were sold at the ports. I hear that Puerto Vallarta may be the best place to buy things as gifts but we couldn't do any shopping there because we were on an all day excursion.

Jackie

Is there an international grocery store near you? You might be able to find cookies and candies made in Mexico. The plus side of buying them in the U.S. is they'd probably not contain any ingredients found to be harmful according to the US government.

Brightly painted wooden animals were sold at the ports. I hear that Puerto Vallarta may be the best place to buy things as gifts but we couldn't do any shopping there because we were on an all day excursion.

Jackie

That's a good idea about the international grocery. I'll look into that. I think we have one nearby. Candy & cookies is a good idea also. I was originally thinking of some kind of trinket, but I think the kids would like the edibles better! Maybe a trinket for the parents. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!!! And I'm glad you understood my reasoning about buying before I leave! What excursion did you do in PV?

You could buy a lot of souvenirs in Mexico for well under $10pp. Mexico is the best place for buying inexpensive souvenirs. Some souvenirs we have brought home in the past do not take up much room or weight. They have little somberos ( souvenir only, not big enough to wear ) made with velour and sequins and embroidery you can get for about $2. If you got everyone one, you can just stack them when packing. There are also lots of wooden instruments or animals colorfully painted the kids may like and though heavier than the somberos are not really that heavy. The moving snakes are a favorite of what we have brought back. For the parents, there are shot glasses that would not take very much room and those should cost under $5.00, even the nicer ones. Those are just a few that come to mind but there are lots and lots to see and buy in Mexico. Remember to bargain.

Even if you manage to find something locally back home, I'm sure you won't be able to resist when you see what Mexico has to offer and you will end up buying there too. LOL

Gum used to be the big thing the street vendors sold in Mexico. They have moved to little clay flute/whistles that are pretty cheap if you purchase many at once.

Personally I found the best bargins in PV. But Cabo has opened up a lot of shopping areas that are fun to browse through. We normally do not purchase stuff, but it is always fun to look.

I'm not aware of any online stores, though we love the outdoor marketplace in Mazatlan. Loads of outdoor flea market type stores, and you help to support the people there. They have great hand painted wooden puppets, we bought a few for my niece, its a great deal, I bet you could easily get 9 for $40, they're packaged in plastic and very easy to pack, they don't take up much space at all. For the adults, maybe the handcarved wooden statuettes? We bought 2 last year, one with two dolphins and a manatee, I bet you could manage 6 for $40, that will keep you spending below $100. Otherwise, if all else fails, they make beautiful material fans, super cheap, and takes up no space in your luggage!

If your looking for an excursion in PV, I would HIGHLY reccomend Hideaway at Las Caletas, its wonderful, a great way to relax with wonderful snorkeling in warm waters, that is also an all day excursion, but by far our most favorite excursion of all!

Mississauga: Some really great suggestions. The sombreros sound good, and I hadn't thought of those moving snakes. Oh, and the shot glasses is a really good idea. Well, for 3 of the parents, anyway!! Some really good ideas. Thanks. And you're right... it will be hard NOT to buy something from the vendors.

Ula: Thanks for the suggestion to buy in PV. I'll keep that in mind. I'm keeping a notebook on all my research!!

jsiegel: I had looked at that excursion, but wasn't sure due to the length of it. The tiles would be interesting, but if they take you to their preferred stores, that always ticks me off. They did that to us in Jamaica. We were at this little shopping area for like 90 minutes.

NotWthOut: Good suggestions on the puppets in Mazatlan. Glad to know there are flea markets there. I love the handmade stuff. The fans sound interesting too. I'll keep an eye out.

karatemom: That is a great site! You guys have made it hard to decide what to do, as there are some really good items on the site you suggested, but I'm beginning to get excited about hunting for something in the various ports due to what people have suggested. Dilemma!!!

Thanks everyone. This is why I love CC so much!!

So to avoid the headache, does anyone know of a website with some good Mexican trinkets that I could order online? I'm only looking to spend a few dollars here. Even at $10 each, that's $150!! OR -- if you know of a specific shop in a specific port that would be perfect, tell me about it and maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy them there. LOL. Either way, thank you in advance for not thinking I'm nuts. :eek:

If you were located down here in So Cal, I would say you'd have no problem finding a store that carried Mexican made items... but Oregon??

Most of the sites i've checked online that sell Mexican souveniers have marked up a $1.00 item to $10!!

there are plenty of SMALL, cheap things you can by for a dollar or two... and can easily fit in a small carry on/off bag. small leather items, keychain, coin holders, small painted wood figurines, just to name a few.

In every port, there are usually stores or vendors right off the dock... you could easily get off the ship, make your purchase, and take them right back on so you don't have to carry them around all day.

When you get back how about a Mexican themed party with a pinata and Mexican food. You can fill the pinata with little trinkets from the dollar store. Winco and Food for Less sells lots of Mexican based items. For adults, bottles of vanilla, they now come in plastic bottles and it is prettty inexpensive.

There.is a market place in PV that probably has good stuff. I wouldn't get the turtle whistles they sell for $1, probably have lead paint. Anyway the best thing I got was little necklaces and earrings(for adults) for $2 on the beach on Stone island. I bought a bunch and everyone loves them, plus, they are so small, they fit inside a shoe when packing. Have fun with your adventure!

Small maracas are fun for kids too and are very cheap - this website has tons of stuff and the maracas are $14.99 for a DOZEN: http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/search/processRequest.do?requestURI=searchMain&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&Ntt=Maracas&N=0&Ntk=all&searchTerm=Maracas&BP=8961&source=msn&cm_mmc=msn-_-otc+fiesta-_-fiesta+maracas-_-9dd375acab314de39a279392e5042f36p&ms=search

Also, those games that have a cup on the end of a stick and a ball attached to a string that you try to get into the cup - loads of fun, especially for boys.

Walmart in PV has a lot of inexpensive things. Mazatlan is also a good place to look, but don't buy in Cabo.

Probably is a good idea not to buy items for kids in Mexico for the reasons you've and others have mentioned. We have stores in California called Cost Plus (or World Market Cost Plus, or something like that) that carries imported items. Also places like the 99 cent store carries a lot of cheap goods from other countries. I would just be careful as there's plenty of stuff out there that may not be safe, even when sold in this country. Also, you might have some parents that wish their kids were eating a lot less sweets, especially if not at home (where they can control it). I would get frustrated by that when my child was much younger.

One thing to consider is maybe just buying a box of something and then offering a piece to each child and to their parents when they come to pick them up. My daughter's child care person would try to visit her home country of Peru every year but she didn't bring back gifts for each child. It's a nice idea, but probably not expected. And with baggage limits nowadays, I think most people would understand.

Often that's what many people who work in an office do anyway. Instead of buying a gift for each person, they'll bring in some food item that can be shared by the workers. If someone can't appreciate the offering, they're not going to appreciate a separate gift.

Archived