Unlocked luggage?

SeaScout

I just spoke with a customer service agent at Carnival about unlocked luggage and she said that it is for guest who fly and use the transfers from the airport. Guest who drive to the port can lock their luggage. I didn't read it that way. :confused: I'm calling my PVP tomorrow to see what is required.

I hope the customer service rep didn't really know. That makes it even worse. You imagine being at the transfer point and trying to remove the locks before they transfer your luggage. There is no way I would fly with unlocked luggage I have had things stolen by airport personnel that were loading the luggage under the aircraft. If I had been locked they probably would have moved to another bag.

"All checked luggage must be unlocked before turned over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience or delay in delivering your luggage to your stateroom."

Maybe they should change the contract to say what actually happens.

All checked luggage must be unlocked before turned over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience or delay in Leaving your unlocked luggage in a common hallway kinda near your cabin.

I saw the 60 minutes episode that showed a hidden camera at Newark airport and the baggage handlers going through all the luggage and stealing stuff.

We always lock our checked luggage with TSA locks. Anyone wanting to steal has a limited amount of time. They will open the unlocked luggage before messing with locked luggage.

I just sent an email to Carnival requesting clarification on this question. I informed them that if this is the case, I will start booking with RCI.

I can see little smuggling rings set up between the porters and people onboard where you luggage is used for transport. Locked luggage keeps items from being taken out and from being put in.

We had purchased TSA approved locks for our cruise a couple of years ago. We flew Airtran out of Detroit to Miami. We had a layover in Atlanta. When we arrived in Miami and went to retrieve our bags, we found that two of the three locks have been cut and our lime green luggage straps were missing as well. There was not a note from TSA saying our luggage had been searched but we did find someone opened bag of Wrigley's spearmint gum in my bag. We didn't have anything of any value in our luggage so thankfully nothing was taken. The main reason we lock our luggage is to keep the luggage from coming unzipped. Keep in mind that just because your luggage is locked doesn't mean a thief won't attempt to break into it.

I also travel a lot for business as well as pleasure, have never locked a suitcase and have never had anything stolen. All valuable things such as jewelry, cameras, etc. are in my carry on. Nothing in my suitcase for anyone to steal.

Pat

Interesting, but once you turn your luggage over to Carnival they have a right to open it whether or not you are present because you are bringing it on their ship.

As far as locking it, Carnival will not have keys for TSA locks, only TSA has those keys, so if Carnival wants in and it is locked they are going to cut them off.

What to do?

I have no idea. I never lock mine on a flight, and really don't have a darn thing in them that anyone would want. Anything of value is in a carry on. I am more concerned that they will come unzipped and things will fall out.

I agree. I lock mine with zipstrips or tsa locks depending on which I grab at that moment. I'm never worried about things vanishing since I ALWAYS make sure that the valuables are close at hand.

We have to rely on locks to at least deter people from messing with our gear.

Try carrying all your scuba gear around for hours until the rooms are ready...just not practical. If carnival wants to be responsible for all my gear then maybe we can talk...otherwise ours will stay locked and they can call us if they need us.

If they want to allow use of the TSA locks and have a homeland security agent available to open the bags then we will be happy to comply.

I always use zip ties even when checking my bag for a plane. Technically, they aren't locked, and the zip ties can be cut easily if security needs to get into it. I never pack anything of value though. It all gets carried on with me.

Somebody can get into a suitcase anyway, no matter how you lock it if they want in badly enough. If they get into mine, all they're going to find is clothes, shoes and toiletries!

I have never locked our bags but I am sure I have just been lucky no one has ever stolen our stuff.

I really don't see anyone changing their packing style. If you lock then you will will always lock. I can't imagine carnival people ripping every suitcase open if someone locked it on purpose or by accident.

....When we arrived in Miami and went to retrieve our bags, we found that two of the three locks have been cut and our lime green luggage straps were missing as well. There was not a note from TSA saying our luggage had been searched but we did ......

Leaving your luggage in the hallway, unlocked, would technically be a violation of TSA regulations. The luggage handlers at the airport always ask something like "Has your luggage been left unattended?" Left unlocked in the hallway, a bad person could read your luggage tag to see where you were probably flying, and could put contraband or even worse in your bags. Admitted, I'm not sure how they could get it onto the ship, but until Carnival checks to see what's lining your diaper, anything could happen.

Unlocked luggage doesn't sound like a smart plan.

even if the real reason is because they were looking for booze I doubt they'd publicly admit it.

Bill

It's possible it was just time to increase security and the liquor check might be an added bonus. Maybe their way of countering the increased cost of additional screening.

Just some thoughts....

Leaving your luggage in the hallway, unlocked, would technically be a violation of TSA regulations. The luggage handlers at the airport always ask something like "Has your luggage been left unattended?" Left unlocked in the hallway, a bad person could read your luggage tag to see where you were probably flying, and could put contraband or even worse in your bags. Admitted, I'm not sure how they could get it onto the ship, but until Carnival checks to see what's lining your diaper, anything could happen.

Unlocked luggage doesn't sound like a smart plan.

Seriously? Put down the spy novels. ;)

Seriously? Put down the spy novels. ;)

Funny LemurCat.

My point was that at the airport, luggage handlers ask if your bags have been unattended. Leaving them in a hallway unlocked would force you to answer "yes" to that questions if you were honest. (They probably wouldn't know how to react to that answer, but that's another issue.)

In the othre locked luggage thread, you said you don't mind them randomly searching your bags on the subway to see if you're carrying C-4, but I'm reading too many spy novels?

All I'm saying is if they won't let you carry your C-4 in your messenger bag, if you want to use it, you'll put it in your sneakers. If they start to x-ray your sneakers, you'll put it in your shampoo bottle. If they limit the size of your shampoo bottles, you'll put it in your diapers (or Depends in my case:)) That's the world we're living in.

If you want to get serious about outsmarting the bad guys, you have to think what they're going to do next.

That being said in response to your comment about my spy novels, we should realize that this is really silly talk in a thread about Carnival and zippers and booze smugglers - I guess most posters are just arguing to avoid having to work.

Lets see, give your unlocked bags to porter that Carnival has no liabilty for. How long will this last? I will continue to lock them.

yep I agree..until carnival says they are responsible for the porters and while the luggage is left out in the hallway unlocked.. we're still locking ours

When I walked-up to the ticket counter at Delta I was asked, "Has anybody placed anything into your baggage without your knowledge?"

I said, "No."

I have always thought that was a funny question to begin with- how would I know if someone placed something in my bag, since it would be without my knowledge...LOL!! I have been tempted to say "I have no idea!" LOL!!!

I will simply concur with most here- I have never locked my bags, just the normal ties to keep my junk from spilling out all over the tarmac. If someone wants to get into my bag- all they will be getting are clothes or the tube of toothpaste/can of shaving gel that is too big for carryon anymore...;) But folks that lock will continue to do so...unless Carnival is ready to have tons of theft reports start coming in (oh Carnival- I had my $1,000 video camera in my bag -wink wink-and now it's gone!)

Hey traveler353- we must have the same thought process... we posted at the same time! LOL!!

While some people might feel safe not locking their luggage I am going to admit that I feel safer locking my luggage with a TSA Approved Combination Lock.

Yes, I know that if a person wants to break into luggage a lock won't stop him but hopefully it might deterr him from trying.

The only people who has a right to open my luggage, out of my persence, if a member of Homeland Security. If the cruise line wants to look into my luggage they can send it to the naughty room and then wait for me to get there.

Does anyone know the reasonings of this new rule by Carnival other than its just their new policy?

I am with you. Min will have its lock on it still from the airport when I get there. Oh it is TSA approved.

When I walked-up to the ticket counter at Delta I was asked, "Has anybody placed anything into your baggage without your knowledge?"

I said, "No."

Just gives that warm, fuzzy fealing of secure bliss, knowing all is safe under the watchful eye of our crack security system. That, and them patting down the old grandmother with the walker to make sure she isn't hiding an assault rifle in her bloomers.

But the guy with the "I Love Osama" T-Shirt walks onto your plane undisturbed, because to question him would be racial profiling.

Archived