Unlocked luggage?

SeaScout

There was a long thread here yesterday concerning Carnival now requiring Luggage to be left unlocked before handing it off to the porters. I can no longer find the thread. What happened? Did the policy change overnight? Are we required to lock our luggage or not?

There was a long thread here yesterday concerning Carnival now requiring Luggage to be left unlocked before handing it off to the porters. I can no longer find the thread. What happened? Did the policy change overnight? Are we required to lock our luggage or not?

I was reading the postings to that thread from overnight and when I went to the next page it was poofed. Nothing bad in it so I don't know why it was poofed and it was relevant topic.

While some people might feel safe not locking their luggage I am going to admit that I feel safer locking my luggage with a TSA Approved Combination Lock.

Yes, I know that if a person wants to break into luggage a lock won't stop him but hopefully it might deterr him from trying.

The only people who has a right to open my luggage, out of my persence, if a member of Homeland Security. If the cruise line wants to look into my luggage they can send it to the naughty room and then wait for me to get there.

Does anyone know the reasonings of this new rule by Carnival other than its just their new policy?

While some people might feel safe not locking their luggage I am going to admit that I feel safer locking my luggage with a TSA Approved Combination Lock.

Yes, I know that if a person wants to break into luggage a lock won't stop him but hopefully it might deterr him from trying.

The only people who has a right to open my luggage, out of my persence, if a member of Homeland Security. If the cruise line wants to look into my luggage they can send it to the naughty room and then wait for me to get there.

Does anyone know the reasonings of this new rule by Carnival other than its just their new policy?

I would love to hear the reason too, not just speculation from posters. I have not read anything about other cruiselines doing this.

Maybe one of the moderators could explain what happened to the original thread.

We were on the Jan 9 sailing of the Dream. We locked our luggage before handing it over to the porters prior to boarding and on the last night when we placed our bags outside the room.

We use the TSA combination locks.

I looked through our pre-boarding info as well as our "Procedures for Debarking" and nowhere does it say that bags are to be unlocked.

We were on the Jan 9 sailing of the Dream. We locked our luggage before handing it over to the porters prior to boarding and on the last night when we placed our bags outside the room.

We use the TSA combination locks.

I looked through our pre-boarding info as well as our "Procedures for Debarking" and nowhere does it say that bags are to be unlocked.

Just changed this week

Maybe one of the moderators could explain what happened to the original thread.

I was reading it this morning and didn't see anything in it that was really a problem. So, who knows?

The new policy was posted by someone who read it in their documents because it affects their cruise. It doesn't say anything about TSA locks, it basically says that bags are to be left unlocked.

I sail on the Spirit in 14 days. Just went to carnival.com and viewed my documents. Under BAGGAGE, it says:

"For security reasons, all checked luggage must be unlocked before turning it over to the porters."

Then, under SECURITY SCREENING AND PROHIBITED ITEMS, it says:

"All checked luggage must be unlocked before turned over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience or delay in delivering your luggage to your stateroom."

Luggage locks are only good for keeping the zipper from opening during handling, period! Anybody needing to get into a soft side suitcase with normal plastic zippers can do it in about 5 seconds with a Bic pen. After they go through it they can rezip it and you will never know it was opened. The whole operation, including a quick rifiling through your belongings, can be done with a little practice in about 30 seconds. Watch this video if you don't believe it:

There are a few luggage companies making bags with zippers with tabs that lock to the bag instead of locking to the other tab. Most bag theives will avoid these bags.

Bottomline here is don't put anything in your checked bag you can't live without. If you can trim your packing down to 2 carry-on sized rolling bags this is whole thing is a non-issue. It's their ship and you have to play by their rules.

I don't like the idea of my luggage being unlocked when I don't have control of it. Mine will continue to go through security with me. I only take a 22" suitcase and a tote bag, so will continue to carry them on with me. It's not just the fact that you don't know who you are handing your luggage over to, it's also the fact that it's left in the hallway outside the cabin when delivered that is a concern for me.

I don't know why I didn't think about this when the original thread was up yesterday. They only talk about embarkation not debarkation right? So if you have to play by the rules and leave it unlocked going onboard you can lock it when you put it out in the hall the night before? or am I missing something else.

Interesting, but once you turn your luggage over to Carnival they have a right to open it whether or not you are present because you are bringing it on their ship.

As far as locking it, Carnival will not have keys for TSA locks, only TSA has those keys, so if Carnival wants in and it is locked they are going to cut them off.

What to do?

I have no idea. I never lock mine on a flight, and really don't have a darn thing in them that anyone would want. Anything of value is in a carry on. I am more concerned that they will come unzipped and things will fall out.

It's not for debarkation, just embarkation. Also, we never think a lock is going to stop someone. As I said in the poofed thread, we lock so the zipper doesn't get caught on something and pulled open. I will use the cable ties I have that don't have to be cut when we embark and carry locks for debarkation. Pretty simple. Anyone who locks their luggage thinking it's safe from theft is very wrong. Those locks do not stop even the most amateur thieves. Anyone who packs anything of value in luggage they don't have complete control over are asking for items to be stolen. It's too easy for someone who really wants your valuables. So, some of the reactions have been a little over the top to me.

As for the reasoning about the new rule, some have speculated it has to do with smuggling booze. Those that brag loudly and often, are possibly getting Carnival's reaction to their blatant disregard for their rules. When you cruise on their cruiseline, they can enforce whatever rules they want and this is quite possibly a way to do it. BTW, we don't smuggle and have never really seen the point of hauling that extra crap.

I just spoke with a customer service agent at Carnival about unlocked luggage and she said that it is for guest who fly and use the transfers from the airport. Guest who drive to the port can lock their luggage. I didn't read it that way. :confused: I'm calling my PVP tomorrow to see what is required.

Archived