Advice from Sally

seajay829

I will be arriving in Cozumel on the Conquest on Feb 11 with my 7 year old daughter and 25 year old cousin. I am being treated for breast cancer, so I have to pace myself, re fatigue. That said there are still many things I am hoping to do on your beautiful island. I am wondering if you could kindly help me plan out an economical yet least stressful way of fitting things in. In no particular order I would like to

1. Purchase a hammock from the man by the bakery that you referred to a few months ago. Is this still your recommendation for a quality hammock at a reasonable price?

2. Have my daughter experience some history and culture (the San Gervasio ruins?) or Chankanab?

3. Have a relaxing day and make memories.

My daughter is interested in

1. The miniature golf

2. Playing in the sand

3.Having fun with her mom and cousin

My cousin would like to

4. Just see some of Mexico and experience its culture, some beach time would be fun if it could fit in comfortably.

I was wondering if it would work to get off the ship, come to town, find the hammock maker, then rent a car, put our stuff in the trunk, go to San Gervasio, maybe drive the east side of the island or go to Paradise Beach?

Or would you suggest just going to chankanab via cab, then stopping downtown on our way back for any purchases?

Thank you in advance for your counsel. And I will keep a look out for a glass bottle with dropper for you :)

Cindy

Given all that you want to do, and your desire to do it in a way that doesn't have you completely burned out by the end of the day, here are some suggestions.

Instead of San Gervasio which is alot of walking, I would suggest spending an hour at the museum. It is very well laid out and your daughter and cousin would get a taste of Mexico culture as well as great information on the eco-system of the island. Also there's a Mayan hut and a man there who can explain how the Mayans live. The last time I was there he didn't speak much English but there's usually someone around who can help. If not, he is pretty good at communicating without words.... a delightful man, very proud of his heritage. He sometimes has hammocks there as well, also good quality.

From there you can walk about 3 blocks to Zermat bakery and pick up a nibble and a hammock across the street if you still need one. They have tables at the bakery if it turns out to be a place where you want to sit for a bit. If you have already found a hammock, you can skip this.

It's about 5 blocks from the bakery to the minigolf, where your daughter and cousin can play while you enjoy a rest at a table under the trees. The minigolf property is elevated so there's always a wonderful breeze. It's also a great place to watch the locals stroll by. If you skipped the bakery, you can take a cab from the museum directly to the minigolf for no more than $4.

After minigolf, catch a cab to Paradise Beach for $13. Enjoy the sun and sand. If you are considering a massage on the beach, please check with your doctor first and let the therapist know your condition.

I think that meets everyone's wants/needs. It also eliminates the rental car hassle and parking. Most importantly, it should be a full yet relaxing day for you.

Wishing you the best...

:) Bookish angel, thank you for your well wishes! Healing thoughts from an angel have to be a good thing!

Sally, you have helped to lay out a beautiful day for us. I am not familiar with the museum, is it downtown?

My Dr. is fine with light massages, I have bone mets so I probably shouldn't have you walking on my back. I wish we were in town longer to stop by for a light massage with soothing music and aromatherapy.... ahhh, my mind is wandering to vacation. I am from Oregon and we have a massage school with a program in oncology massage. About once a quarter I am blessed with being an end of course project for a student, i.e. an hour massage for free! The instructor advises a level 3 to 5 pressure. Is this a common term that the therapists at PB might be familiar with?

Thank you again for your counsel.

Cindy

Cindy,

Yes, the museum is right on the waterfront downtown, very central.

As far as a massage, the description "level 3 to 5" is probably on a scale of one to ten, not difficult to figure out. If you told the therapist at the beach to go very, very light, she should understand. "Cancer" is the same in Spanish as it is in English, so be sure to let them know.

I have one more idea for you. Please email me at barefoot@prodigy.net.mx.

Just a word of caution abut the hammock place near Zermat's. When I was there in November, it was closed. :( This was a bummer, because we had planned much of our walking schedule upon reaching this destination. I bought one down the street that I am sure was not all that great, but I thought I was left with no choice at that point. The next day I saw some very nice hammocks in San Pedro, Belize.

Maybe someone in the know can check to see if this place is still open and if it keeps regular hours. Good luck.

Does anyone know the schedule of the gentleman by the bakery? Do you need to haggle over the price? Any suggestions on what is fair?

If the man at the mayan hut has a hammock would it be pretty easy just to take it back to the ship rather than lugging it to Mini Golf and Paradise Beach?

Is there a place at PB to stow it away?

Thanks again.

Cindy

More about the hammock. DW bought a chair hammock, the kind with the wooden rod across the top, in Cozumel when we were there for a week in December. She asked the shop if it was OK to carry on the hammock. Sure, no problem was their answer. No problem carrying it on at the Cozumel airport, they are even for sale there past the security check point. When we got to Dallas to make our connecting flight, we had to go thru immigration, get our luggage and take it thru customs then re-check the it. After that you go back thru a security screening. That is when we were told, sorry, you can't take that hammock on the plane. It has to be checked. We had a tight connection time and having to take the time to get out of line, go to the American ticket counter to check a hammock, then go thru the security screening and find the rest of my family who had already gone thru did take some time.

OK, the point is, if you get a hammock that has a wooden rod across the top, you can not take it on a plane in the US.

More about the hammock. ... OK, the point is, if you get a hammock that has a wooden rod across the top, you can not take it on a plane in the US.

Thanks for the heads up on the hammock. Last spring DD and I went Happy Horseback Riding with Randi in Mazatlan and I became enamored with the hammocks at the beachfront restaurant at the end of the ride.:D I looked at ones similar around home and they were upwards of $100. :eek: They are the kind you sink two posts in the ground and tie it to. I have a spot all picked out.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I have one of those collapsable bags I was planning on putting in my luggage and hope the hammock will fit in it for the return trip. Do you think it would weigh about 15-20 pounds?

I have read Tom mention on the boards that they wll keep packages behind the bar for you. I'm sure it will not be a problem. Just don't forget it.

Cheryl, I would forget my head sometimes if it weren't fastened on. :o My secret weapon though is that I will have my daughter with me. I swear that child has memories from the womb. She never forgets anything, unless of course it is to turn in her homework, :p but that is another topic.

Archived