Best Excursions - Island Princess Panama Canal Cruise

purrcycat

Hi there! I am going on my first ever cruise on April 19th and am super excited. It leaves from Fort Lauderdale and the stops are:

Aruba - Aruba;

Cartagena - Columbia;

Cristobal - Panama

Limon - Costa Rica; and

Ocho Rios Jamaica

I am having a difficult time choosing excursions at these ports. Any suggestions?

Thanks!:)

Cat,

I did this itinerary in November-great ship! Please advise what your areas of interest are-would need to know more about your interests and physical abilities/limitations before I could make a recommendation!

Sunsetbeachgal: Thought I would jump in here and also ask you some questions as we are doing the same itinerary in November 2010. We usually book private excursions and are looking at Limon, Costa Rica and Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

For Limon: This is the one I am most conflicted on. We can't do zip lines because of my husband's bad back. Any recommendations on Tortuguero Canal boat trip, banana factory, aerial tram ride, visit to school? We like to see the countryside and people.

For Ocho Rios: We are opting to skip Dunns River Falls. Any recommendations on Shaw Park or Fern Gulley? Or Mystic Mountain with chair lift and bobsled?

For the Panama Canal, I have read mixed reviews of the ferry through the remaining locks. Sounds like it might be, at times, boring? Also, sounds like the ferry might be a bit crowded and if you don't get a good seat I am wondering just how much you really can see if you are on the "inside". I did read Angel's review. What did you do for the Panama Canal excursion and did you like it?

Thanks for any ideas or thoughts.

Cat,

I did this itinerary in November-great ship! Please advise what your areas of interest are-would need to know more about your interests and physical abilities/limitations before I could make a recommendation!

I don't really have any phsical limitations, but I don't want to do anything too scary (like zip lines). I was wondering about the Dolphin excursion in Jamaica. Did you do that one? There is also a camel exurcsion I was interested in or the ride up the mountain. So much to choose from and that's just Jamaica. I guess I could say I am really interested in seeing the wildlife and I'm not adverse to canoe rides or anything like that.

In the past, conventional wisdom was to stay on the ship when docked in Columbia because how unsafe it was in Cartegena. I've now been reading here and there that is no longer the case.

Anyone have any recent information?

I love love LOVE Cartagena. Hired a taxi at the pier and gave the drive free rein. The people were open, friendly, proud of their city / country. They seemed truly glad to see tourists. Us and another couple shared a taxi and had a wonderful time. People hawking stuff can be a bit of a bother in the main tourist areas but not so bad as to be a problem and no worse then what you will find all over in the Caribbean. Oh sure, if one goes looking, trouble can be found in Cartagena, just like it is in ANY big American city.

I would have GLADLY given up Jamaica as a port-o-call to have spent more time in Cartagena.

PS, many cruises and ships under my belt, and I truly adore the Island Princess. She is perhaps the perfect cruise ship. Not to big, not to small, just right.

Hi there! I am going on my first ever cruise on April 19th and am super excited. It leaves from Fort Lauderdale and the stops are:

Aruba - Aruba;

Cartagena - Columbia;

Cristobal - Panama

Limon - Costa Rica; and

Ocho Rios Jamaica

I am having a difficult time choosing excursions at these ports. Any suggestions?

Thanks!:)

Purrcycat - We are on the same cruise as you. You should come join our roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=852904&page=8

We have decided on a few things. We tend to like active activities and to see and try new things. We have been to Aruba and Jamacia before, but none of the rest. There are a couple of us from the roll call who are doing a tour together in Cartagena to see some of the forts and other local attractions through Lee Miles. Still room available. We are going to take the Princess excursion through the rest of the canal. I really want to see the rest of the canal, Pacific side locks, etc. We are going to do the rafting excursion in Costa Rica. Figure it is something different that we have not done on a cruise before. Jamacia, we are likely doing a tubing excursion. There is lots of options in Jamacia, but I was not impressed with the island last time we were there. Definitely better to stick with a Princess tour there. Locals tend to be too pushy with stuff. No idea about Aruba yet since we are only there a short time. You might also want to check the port boards for the various stops as well as you can find some good info on excursion options.

Tim

Greetings, all!

I was on the Island Princess with Sweet Angel (among others). We had a great group of "Panamaniacs" that met through the roll-call for that particular cruise (10/11/09). I didn't make the arrangements but we did book through Lee Miles and I can definitely recommend him. We used his company in Costa Rica (Possibly in Cartegena as well). You may want to coordinate with the tour operator the time of the tour/pick-up at the pier as we were on ship time which was an hour earlier than what the guides/local time was. It all worked out-no one was left behind.

We did the zip-line and it really wasn't strenuous at all. It was a BLAST! The most strenuous part was the short incline to the first platform. I believe there were 14 lines in all-some longer and faster than the others. Then our guide took us to the Del Monte banana plantation and some locals farm. Stopped by a road stall to consume fresh banana and mango (or was it papaya?). Delicious. Then to a beach restaurant/grill where the locals hang out. Angel's site as wel as Paul's ("Darkenstormy") review covers justabout everything.

Cartagena was beautiful and I never felt threatened at all.

The excursion through the Panama Canal was lonnnnggg. The Island Princess travels through the first locks (Gatun) then docks where you are shuttled to the ferry (approx 1 to 1.5 hr drive). You'll likely have to wait for a larger ship to share the lock with you as did. The ferry is too small and they wont waste the time and money to let it through on its own. This wait is the main reson it took so long (its an all-dayer) but it afforded an excellent vantage to observe the "mules" connecting to and guiding the ships into the locks. Very impressive.

It is an excellent ship. As was mentioned, it was the perfect size-not too big, not too small. Everything went well on board-I can't recall any problems worth mentioning.

Hope you all have a great time! Actually, you WILL have a great time! Join the roll-call for your cruise-its a great way to meet people and possibly split the cost of certain excursions that are based on the car-load.

Archived