weather in Scandanavia and Russia

silverjoe

Hello:

My DW and I are scheduled for a princess baltic cruise on the Star Princess with Oslo and St. Petersburg this summer, leaving July 31st. We will be starting in Copenhagen, and stopping at Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Gdansk, Tallin, and Olso with two sea days. I would be interested in anyone's experience over the last couple years who took a similar itinerary in July or August. Specifically, we would like to know how the weather was in these ports, did you wear shorts and tee shirts, or pants, long sleeve shirts and jackets? Also were you able to enjoy the pools on the sea days.

Any experiences you have had in these locales would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

My DW and I are scheduled for a princess baltic cruise on the Star Princess with Oslo and St. Petersburg this summer, leaving July 31st. We will be starting in Copenhagen, and stopping at Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Gdansk, Tallin, and Olso with two sea days. I would be interested in anyone's experience over the last couple years who took a similar itinerary in July or August. Specifically, we would like to know how the weather was in these ports, did you wear shorts and tee shirts, or pants, long sleeve shirts and jackets? Also were you able to enjoy the pools on the sea days. Any experiences you have had in these locales would be appreciated. Joe

In late July and early August 2008, we were in most all of these port you plan to visit. We had very good weather as you can tell from the below pictures. Below are the monthly averages for those ports and some of the sunrise/set time for the dates we were there. Historically, these examples give you a rough idea for what the average have been. From

http://www.wunderground.com

you can get detailed, exact date past weather history for each specific city.

Averages are just that, however. Not guaranteed, nor certain.

On clothing, my caution is you might want to be a little better prepared than just shorts and tee shirts. To be in some churches and other places in Europe, unless it is unusually hot, you will look and feel better if do more than just shorts and a tee shirt. Most in Europe dress up a little more being as casual as some Americans. If the weather is in the mid to upper 60's, you might also want to layer and be prepared if it turns cooler and/or windy. You only have two sea days for this trip as much of it is port focused. I don't know how well heated is the Princess pool, nor how you like it. I would be prepared for cooler or warmer.

You will see great things in these various ports with all of this history, architecture, etc. Below are a few visual samples to prepare you for the treats you will be able to enjoy. Let us know added questions or reactions.

MONTHLY AVERAGES ON TEMPERATURE:

Oslo, 7-26: Sunrise 4:26 am; Sunset 9:59 pm; total 17h, 13m.

Monthly averages, June: 68/52 °F, high and low

July: 71/55 °F

Copenhagen, 7-27: Sunrise 5:08 am; Sunset 9:23 pm; total 16h, 15m.

June 66/52 °F

July 69/55 °F

Helsinki, 7-29: Sunrise 4:55 am; Sunset 9:57 pm; total 17h, 2m.

June: 68/48 °F

July: 70/52 °F

St. Petersburg, 7-31: Sunrise 5:40 am; Sunset 10:29 pm; total 16h, 49m.

St. Petersburg, 8-1: Sunrise 5:42 am; Sunset 10:26 pm; total 16h, 44m.

July: 71/56 °F

August: 66/54 °F

Stockholm, 8-3: Sunrise 4:40 am; Sunset 9:06 pm; total 16h, 26m.

Stockholm, 8-4: Sunrise 4:42 am; Sunset 9:04 pm; total 16h, 22m.

July: 71/56 °F

August: 68/54 °F

USE THE SEARCH function on this board to get more detailed info on each separate port.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

An overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

Oslo's Vigeland Park has a wide variety of wonderful outdoor sculptures in a wonderful setting:

1A-Oslo-VigelandParkFount.jpg

Copenhagen’s “New” Harbor that is actually old and charming:

Boat.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard involves this large band with their unique helmets:

9-StockholmMil.jpg

Helsinki’s Church of Rock, carved out of solid stone with a unique contemporary design:

1A-Helsinki-RockChurch.jpg

Dancers marching in Tallinn’s festival parade:

1A-Tallinn-DancersMarch.jpg

Terry: Thanks for the info, and the fantastic photos. Joe

THANKS, Joe, for the kind comments! Have lots more visuals from this wonderful area of the world. Tell us what else is of interest and need. Don't be shy on these boards. The only "dumb" questions are those you don't ask. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We were in most of those same ports mid to later August of last year. We had fantastic weather, didn't rain ONE day,and the sun was out most of the time.

That said, we ALWAYS went out in the morning with our jackets and depending on the rest of the day, we either took them off, or wore them for most of the day. Now we didn't have heavy jackets, just light windbreakers, but you definitely need them in mid August.

As for pants/vs shorts, we NEVER wore shorts in any. Not that Europeans don't wear shorts when it is hot, but it is thought of not to be European. Most people do NOT wear shorts .

Look, we have a mailman who wears shorts in the middle of snow storms, and some people have feel they must wear them all the time, but you really do not need them. We wore jeans all the time.

Hope that helps

Here are a few more pix to give you an idea of what is around

A view from the canal cruise in Copenhagen, which is something very highly recommended

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster284.jpg

Entering the 'old city' of Tallin

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster511.jpg

Band playing greeting you, as you enter Catherine's Palace

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe671.jpg

The fountains at Peterof's

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe730.jpg

Helsinki Church towers over the landscape

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1122.jpg

Stockholm Royal Guards, with the reflection of the Palace in his helmet

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1255.jpg

Len

Thanks for the info and the pictures. We were on Princess Grand Med cruise last year, and temp in Turkey, Italy, Spain, and Greece were generally in the 90's so unless we were visiting a church, shorts were a must. Don't expect the same weather in Scandanavia or Russia, but with global warming you never know. I don't think shorts will be in order this year, and I hope to be as lucky as you with the weather.

Joe

Thanks for the info and the pictures. We were on Princess Grand Med cruise last year, and temp in Turkey, Italy, Spain, and Greece were generally in the 90's so unless we were visiting a church, shorts were a must. Don't expect the same weather in Scandanavia or Russia, but with global warming you never know. I don't think shorts will be in order this year, and I hope to be as lucky as you with the weather.

Joe

Joe

When we were toying with the idea of cruising Europe, our first choice was the Med. But we are just NOT hot weather people. We would rather crusie Alaska than the Caribbean. So we decided on the Baltics, as the weather was listed as much cooler, especially the later into the summer you went. For us this was perfect.

One thing I will warn you about. On the ship, while cruising, it does tend to get a bit 'cool' if you get my meaning. We always book an inside cabin, so we sit out on deck all the time. There were several times, us, and many others were huddled around the exhaust from some of the machinery on the ship. It was COLD. On the Jewel, they had deck chairs on the Promenade deck, all around. When We had our sea days, all the chairs were brought to the side of the ship where the sun was, you needed it to enjoy sitting outside. Even if you have a balcony, it was cool and windy to sit outside while the ship was moving. At night it will be way too cool to sit on your balcony if you are on the side into the wind.

Since you cannot smoke inside the ship, you see people coming out at night, huddling around the smoking stations, just long enough to finish their cigarette and then rushing back inside. It wasn't cold, but most people weren't dressed for the 'cooler' weather.

Just bring a jacket, and a few layers and you will be fine.

Enjoy

Len

July 31st sounds fine to me. Expect good weather, but be prepared for showers even if the day starts off with sunny weather.

Regarding clothing, check the pictures:

city02.jpg

Stockholm, Västerlånggatan, Gamla Stan, looking north.

city05.jpg

Stockholm, Drottninggatan looking north. Sergels Torg to the right, Åhlens department store in background, left.

city03.jpg

Berlin Cathedral, looking east. Fernsehturm in the background.

city04.jpg

Helsinki, Senate Square, looking west. University main building in the background.

Any chance you can reply without posting pictures? I keep seeing the same pictures over and over again! Post a link so only those that want to see them actually see them.

Sorry the pictures bother you. Many people here do enjoy seeing them, and we get some very nice comments about them.

Before we did our cruise and tours, I only wish more people posted pictures so we would have a better idea of what to expect in each port.

I have found a way to post some of the short video's that I took. Maybe that will help releive the bordom

Len

Thanks everyone. We especially enjoyed the photos. It serves to increase our excitement for this cruise. I hope we see the same blue skies that were in the photos, but of course the important thing is the sites, not the weather.

Joe

Thanks everyone. We especially enjoyed the photos. It serves to increase our excitement for this cruise. I hope we see the same blue skies that were in the photos, but of course the important thing is the sites, not the weather. Joe
We're going on July 21,10 on Star Princess.

I LOVE seeing all the photos!!! Thanks!

Sorry the pictures bother you. Many people here do enjoy seeing them, and we get some very nice comments about them. Before we did our cruise and tours, I only wish more people posted pictures so we would have a better idea of what to expect in each port. I have found a way to post some of the short video's that I took. Maybe that will help releive the bordom. Len

THANKS for the nice comments from silverjoe, Len and LuvsACruise! Like many people, I like words, but love visuals. Whether it was Napoleon and/or a Chinese Philosopher to credit, I agree that a "picture is worth a thousand words!" As you are planning and preparing for these trips, you like to get a sense for what you will be seeing. That's one of the reasons why I like the Eyewitness books with how they nicely combine text, visuals, maps and building diagrams. You need to consider your many options. You can't do it all in just one 6-9 hour stop in most ports.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived