Cabins - Rhapsody of the Seas help please

subaru94

Have cruised previously with P&O thinking of Rhapsody for the next, have been both interior and oceanview with P&O, is there a lot of difference regards cabins on Rhapsody interior vs oceanview. We will be 4 adults travelling. Many thanks for any assistance

We were in superior interior (category K) on Rhapsody and had Oceanview across the hall. Oceanview was identical, except had a window and about half a metre more space between the bed and couch, which made no difference at all to the size of the room. Layout identical though so it's only the window that makes the difference between them.

This is part of my review from our Nov 2008 cruise on Rhapsody- hope it answers a few questions you might have

"

Our cabin 3142 on Deck 3 was described as a “large oceanview stateroom” in brochures and on websites .it was situated aft/port (back left) and was not large as I expected but was very functional and had plenty of storage room. I would guess the size of the cabin as 20’X10’. We had a large window and it was great looking out. On the last 2 cruises we had inside cabins so we enjoyed seeing schools of flying fish and tuna working so vigorously. I also liked looking out when approaching ports and first sighting land. The window with curtains drawn served as an ideal dryer for swimming costumes. On the way up we had to wait till afternoon for the sun and on the way back we caught the morning sun. I also took a 20 peg round travelling clothesline and it hung in the shower and in the window behind the curtain

The cabin was efficiently serviced by Li Li from China and I think she had sole responsibility of our cabin as I didn’t get to meet any assistant. There were no inside cabins opposite which assisted privacy. Deck 3 is also just cabins so only the dwellers & staff usually passed us in the hall and for the 10 days we were lucky to see a dozen passengers . An added advantage was being so close to the restaurant- it was easy to pop back to cabin and freshen up after dinner. The cabin was spacious, lots of storage - plenty of drawers and lots of hangers in the closet (18 wooden ones plus the 30 wire ones I took). I took a hanging material set of shelves and it hung in the wardrobe and housed our shoes. I put the life jackets under the bed to make a bit more hanging space. There were 2 bedside tables with 2 draws. There was a larger set of 3 draws and another smaller set of 3 draws. All the cupboards have breather holes so they didn’t smell musty as some do on some ships. There were 2 small sets of shelves above the vanity covered by mirrors. There was a small glass coffee table and a small sofa. I enjoyed having the sofa as I could sit more comfortably on it than on the bed. Our bed had been made into a double. I had a small refrigerator for my medication and it fitted neatly under the vanity. I did request that Li Li take the chair away as it was a nuisance just sitting in the room – it was usually housed where the fridge now sat. The TV was small yet large enough for the room, it slid out from the cabinet and rotated for viewing from the bed or the sofa. Li Li and I played musical rubbish bins each day – she would place it near the glass table and I would put it in the nook aside the sofa. After day 5 I won and the bin remained alongside the sofa with no chance of us kicking it . The ice bucket was refilled morning & night as was our small esky that was housed in the bathroom. I took Coke & Diet coke onboard – it was an easy exercise as it travelled well inside the cabin bags as did the beer (yes I decided to risk it and take my Coopers on board) Had no problems at all – our bags were x-rayed by customs and nothing was said 9 well who would expect a granny to blatantly wheel booze aboard – the cruise security didn’t x-ray anything when we boarded – I guess they expect you to smuggle it in your other luggage. Now speaking of crooks the safe was easy to operate and once we decided on a set of numbers we had no problem operating it. It housed all my US dollars and our pass ports. It is possibly the size of 2 house bricks back to back. Just a piece of worthless trivia – the bed matrasses come from Italy. Now how do I know this – well I can’t exactly remember the reason I read the matrass label but I can remember what I read.

We had no use for the hairdryer or the mini-bar so I packed them all up and placed them away. I only used the phone once to call the pursers desk. What we did love was the small jug and the tea & coffee supply. It was nice to make an early morning or late night cuppa and we did so daily. I took 3 S shaped plastic hooks and they came in handy to hang hats and things on. The cabin trolley bag made a good dirty washing bag. I also used the door stopper and propped the door open a few times- now it wasn’t to get any extra fresh air but it could be opened a little without comprising our privacy.

The bathroom had a small cabinet with 3 shelves – I took a small toilet bag with lots of compartments and it hung on the door and was easy to reach from the shower. Tissues, soap and shampoo are supplied but I preferred our own. Shampoo is in a dispenser in the shower cubicle. I’m not sure what Li Li thought of the 4 large sinkers attached to pegs and attached to the shower curtain but they did the job and kept the pesky curtain that was starved for hugs away from my wet body. Towels were replaced as often as you wanted and there was always an abundant supply. The bathrooms were scrubbed ferociously daily- I was amazed to hear the scrubbing brushes at work when we walked past each cabin. The shower had good water pressure unlike the vanity plumbing but that didn’t pose any problems.

Every night we returned to find a surprise towel animal and none were repeated – we had a monkey hanging from the ceiling a placid looking shark, a stingray, an elephant, a dog with the remote about to change channels, a frog, a lobster, a turtle and my favourite was a full size bloke on the bed reading the paper, wearing sunnies, a life jacket and my Hubbies sandals. Each morning I would leave Li Li a thankyou note( prepared in advance) thanking her for the animals or the good work in the cabin. I would add a different message each day. I would then attach/sticky tape the note to a couple of chocolates.

Li Li was always in the background with a shy smile and a sincere greeting. I’m sure she checked our room every hour. Each time we returned to the cabin, the toilet paper and tissues had been folded into little “points”.

Walk past some cabins at all times of the day and they look like they are occupied by a flock of huge bower birds with clothing and things scattered everywhere. Do these people expect staff to tidy up such an abdominal mess. I like to give them a bit of a rest and try to at least keep things tidy and in place. I am not talking about cabins with kids as I know how often you have to pick up after them – these bower birds aren’t fledglings but fully grown adult birds with a nest that even the cuckoo would ignore."

Di

Archived