Help with Packing

yorkiemomjn

Ladies, I could use your help again!

As I posted on another thread regarding shopping, we are taking our first Mediterranean cruise in April 2010. I could use some help with what to pack for this area during the early spring. I've looked at the temps for our ports, but it's hard to translate this into what to pack.:)

Thank you!

Judy

Lightweight layers, in mix-and-match colors/patterns are the best advice I can offer, along with a lightweight raincoat. I usually take along the zip-in lining, just in case it gets chilly at night, but I don't think I've ever needed it after February/March, at least not in Italy.

I prefer a raincoat with a hood so my hands are free, others prefer umbrellas; in any case, be prepared for rain.

Euro Cruiser and I agree. I was in Italy in November and my waterproof microfiber jacket with hood worked perfectly. I also used a lightweight fleece sweater jacket which could go alone or under the jacket. Get a jacket that is all one colour and not so sporty looking to blend in better.

We did a Mediterranean cruise in April of 2007 and the weather was absolutely perfect. (If you go to Olympia at that time the trees are in blossom and so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes!). That's not to say it would be perfect all the time of course. I had a lightweight jacket (water-resistant) and a hoodie-sweater that I could use if I needed layers - only in one port - Mykonos - did I need all those layers because it was so windy! I also had a baseball cap for the sun. I wore capri pants many days, or lightweight slacks, both of which were good for when we were touring inside cathedrals/churches where upper arms and above the knees were to be kept covered. I had one pair of sneakers for those days when we walked a lot - Pompeii and Ephesus - and where it could get pretty dusty, and a pair of good walking sandals for less intense days and on the ship. Have a great trip!

a pair of good walking sandals for less intense days and on the ship

Yes! I'd forgotten about this one. I spent about three times more than I ever have before on a pair of sandals for our cruise this summer, but I was so happy that I did. I couldn't have walked that much without the support those sandals provided.

Yes! I'd forgotten about this one. I spent about three times more than I ever have before on a pair of sandals for our cruise this summer, but I was so happy that I did. I couldn't have walked that much without the support those sandals provided.

What brand/style of sandals did you get? A good pair of walking sandals is on my list!

I had to go into my closet and look. The brand is Teva and I found them at a local camping/hiking shop, although I suspect they are fairly widely distributed.

I have friends who swear by Mephistos; I've also heard good things about Clarks.

Ecco sandals are also great.

I had to go into my closet and look. The brand is Teva and I found them at a local camping/hiking shop, although I suspect they are fairly widely distributed.

I have friends who swear by Mephistos; I've also heard good things about Clarks.

I have heard of both Teva & Mephistos, but have never tried either of them. I will have to try them. I have worn Clarks before. Another comfortable brand is Echo and I also like Born.

Thanks!:)

I have heard of both Teva & Mephistos, but have never tried either of them. I will have to try them. I have worn Clarks before. Another comfortable brand is Echo and I also like Born.

Thanks!:)

Just buy what feels good on YOUR feet not what brand other's wear as we are all not the same.What is most important is your feet and how they feel and always break in the shoes/sandals before you even think of taking them on a trip.

As I posted on another thread regarding shopping, we are taking our first Mediterranean cruise in April 2010. I could use some help with what to pack for this area during the early spring. I've looked at the temps for our ports, but it's hard to translate this into what to pack.:)

Thank you!

Judy

There are other threads with packing lists and suggestions, such as this one http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=311 and one by Marheeya

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=46863. There are some valuable suggestions to be found. The only thing is if you take everything on these lists, you may wind up with excess luggage:D.

Thank you!

Judy

There are other threads with packing lists and suggestions, such as this one http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=311 and one by Marheeya

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=46863. There are some valuable suggestions to be found. The only thing is if you take everything on these lists, you may wind up with excess luggage:D.

Hi! We cruised on the NCL Jade this past summer. I wear a lot of Chicos (knits that pack well). The thing that shocked me was that my colorful jackets were totally out of place. Everyone had on black, brown, gray, navy. The Europeans dressed nicely for dinner. We had a great time, but I will surely pack differently next time!

Have a great trip!

AARGH! a double post. I hate it when that happens!

Archived