Please Help! Mother/Daughter cruise

caribb23

Hello my 40+ year old mom and I whose 12 years old want/need to take a cruise. Summer of 2009 my 2 sisters and my mom went on their first NCL and they thought it was OK. Crew wasn't very helpful or friendly i have heard. Anyways, since I didn't join them to Bermuda, :mad: I stayed home and took care of all of the animals we have.:mad::mad: So, my mom owes me a cruise. She doesn't want me to miss a lot - or even any school. We are on a very strict budget, since she is a divorced mom and my dad isn't being very cooperative with the child support. Under $500 each for cruise (excluding tax, etc). That would be inside cabin, or oceanview if I can find the same price. Since we live in New York it would make sense to save flight money by going out of Bayonne NJ, New York, or Boston. I've searched and searched but I haven't found any lucky results. We want to go over a vacation (Apr 3 - Apr 11; May 31; Summer vacation - June 25 - Sept 8th; Nov 24? - Nov 28?; Dec 19? - Jan 3)

Earliest we could go is Apr break. My mom wants to go on a cruise that she knows to Captain or Costa (YUCK!) :eek:

What are some good but cheap cruise lines?

Have you found any good cruises in my range?

What is the cheapest flights for 2 roundtrip to San Juan? I found $700!

What are some money saving tips?

What are some other tips and suggestions you can give me?

Please reply!!!!!! Thank you CC!

ACZI

We cruise on Carnival because it's the cheapest and my dds love it! We have looked at other lines but they want to stay with Carnival. We are going out of NY in June for a 8 day cruise on the Miracle. When we pick the trip we call and get the cheapest time during the time we are thinking of going. I picked June 16 because they are out of school for the summer and its far enough from her graduation day. The food is as good as we get at our local restaurants, different foods then we are used to. But that the fun part we try foods that we normally don't eat. My dds always find friends to hang out with. We love cruising.:)

Cruises out of New York are expensive- Supply and demand. Many people feel a cruise close to home saves on airfare.

Personnally--i find even with paying for airfare it is cheaper to cruise out of FLorida.

Dont discount Carnival Pride out of Baltimore- Amtrak can get you there cheap.

Summer cruises out of NY are gonna be very pricey.

A cruise to nowhere which is 2 night cruise will cost about 400.pp

too expensive for me.

Cheap cruises will be at the end of August -the begining of Sept. which is before school starts for schools up this way--but this is also hurricane season so you take a chance of be rerouted elsewhere.

looking for airfare---always check the day before your cruise- this gives you leeway in case of any problems that could come up- use priceline to get a hotel at cheaper costs.

check sites like kayak.com for pricing- *weekend will always show a higher rate so check pricing during the week--tuesday and wednesday being the best for booking airfare.

last week in august I find airfare from New York to San Juan for 225.pp round trip

Hello,

And you should know that both my wife and I are substitute teachers. Our daughter is a high school teacher and our sonis a wilderness instructor who works with kids.

So when I tell you that you are very smart, believe it and I greatly admire your initiative (which many pre teens have none whatsoever).

My DW and I have been on lots of cruises. My suggestion is going to be challenged here but I don't care. Anyone as smart as you can easily miss a week of school (you will take some work with you, won't you?) In other words, find a cruise in late April, May or late September, Octobe or early November. It is very unlikely that you will find a cruise within your budget during the times you mentioned.

Look at the travel websites and see which cruises leave from the NYC area. Especially helpful are Vacations to Go, Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity. Also, check with each cruise website for specials that they may have.

Hello my 40+ year old mom and I whose 12 years old want/need to take a cruise. Summer of 2009 my 2 sisters and my mom went on their first NCL and they thought it was OK. Crew wasn't very helpful or friendly i have heard. Anyways, since I didn't join them to Bermuda, :mad: I stayed home and took care of all of the animals we have.:mad::mad: So, my mom owes me a cruise. She doesn't want me to miss a lot - or even any school. We are on a very strict budget, since she is a divorced mom and my dad isn't being very cooperative with the child support. Under $500 each for cruise (excluding tax, etc). That would be inside cabin, or oceanview if I can find the same price. Since we live in New York it would make sense to save flight money by going out of Bayonne NJ, New York, or Boston. I've searched and searched but I haven't found any lucky results. We want to go over a vacation (Apr 3 - Apr 11; May 31; Summer vacation - June 25 - Sept 8th; Nov 24? - Nov 28?; Dec 19? - Jan 3)

Earliest we could go is Apr break. My mom wants to go on a cruise that she knows to Captain or Costa (YUCK!) :eek:

What are some good but cheap cruise lines?Being a budget traveler, I've only cruised with Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Of those two, I would recommend RCL out of San Juan. Both have good kids programs, so shop prices. School vacations tend to be more expensive, but you may see less of an up-charge out of San Juan as more Spring-Breakers sail out of Florida.

Have you found any good cruises in my range? Book an inside cabin for a seven-day cruise and you'll pay about $650-$700 per person. Royal Caribbean will drop that price if the ship fails to sell well. If you book an RCL cruise, check the website price DAILY and call if you notice the price has dropped. They will only honor the lower price if you ask for it, but they WILL honor it. I'm not traveling over a holiday, but the cost of my cruise dropped ~$150/per person between the time I booked it an now!

What is the cheapest flights for 2 roundtrip to San Juan? I found $700! I booked my air fare for this coming March back in May 2009 and it was around $300. My adult daughter who is traveling with me didn't buy her ticket until December and it was $600. I would recommend booking as soon as you can and use Orbitz. If the price drops, they send you a check! It's nice to feel assured. We've all booked flights and then seen the price drop and kicked ourselves for not waiting!

You mention San Juan, however there are only 7+ day cruise from that port. If you want to save money with a shorter cruise, there are 4-5 day cruises out of Florida. I wouldn't recommend going with anything less than 4 days. You don't save enough to make it worth the minimal number of travel days.

What are some money saving tips? Besides checking the prices constantly, check for discounts. Over 55? Military? Past cruiser? Live in a state the cruise line is promoting too? We're getting a substantial discount on our next cruise due to a residency discount aimed at our state!

What are some other tips and suggestions you can give me? I live in the northeast and am also tempted by those New York or Baltimore departures. However, those cruises cost so much more, they really negate the air fare savings. I always end up opting for a cruise out of Florida or San Juan.

ACZI

TIPS:

• Read these posts! Pay particular attention to the port of call posts and attempt to book some of your activities on your own, rather than through the ship. The ship just uses local tour companies; save the mark-up. Just be sure to choose reputable companies. Shoretrips is a good on-site excursion provider. Any tour guide recommended on the port of call boards by CC members is a good bet.
    Avoid the pay-extra stuff. Don't use your cell phone or buy internet time. Don't gamble. Don't eat at specialty restaurants. Limit the costs of your port excursions. I won't even look at any excursions over $85/pp and most are MUCH less than that. Maybe some day I'll get to swim with the dolphins. But it's just not in my budget right now.
    Compare the cost of a cruise vacation with a land-based vacation in a truly honest way - figuring in the cost of all the food and entertainment that comes included with your cruise. You'll discover that a cruise is a really good value!

ENJOY I've taken my kids on a couple of cruises. My youngest son was 12 on his first cruise and he absolutely LOVED it!

Hello,

addenda (this is a fancy word from Latin that means I want to add some more...hopefully that will help you).

Borrow the money from a relative with the understanding that you will pay it back as soon as you can. Lots of jobs need to be done...snow shoveling, watch an elderly person for an hour (no nursing, just give a caregiver some respite todo some errands), watch homes/pets, give computer lessons, tutor.

Two things I would like to do but can't. First, I would loan you the money but this is impossible for several reasons. Second, I would like to kick your father's .... ... from Staten Island to Buffalo.

I certainly wouldn't borrow money from a relative for a cruise. Just keep looking for cruises departing near by. Is your mom's time flexible--i.e., can you book something two days before and then leave or does she need to arrange care for other kids, pets, can't get off work? Some times there are last minute bargains--but you have to jump on them.

I think the $229 for four days would be fun for mother/daughter. Stay on ship rather than doing the tours--many time the spa has cheaper packages for port days--go to the spa together.

What are some good but cheap cruise lines?

Have you found any good cruises in my range?

What is the cheapest flights for 2 roundtrip to San Juan? I found $700!

What are some money saving tips?

What are some other tips and suggestions you can give me?

ACZI

Find a way to get to Florida in April and take the Celebrity Century 4 or 5 night cruise. The inside and some OV's (deck 4) or currently $299.000pp. The ship goes out of Miami and either Key West and Grand Cayman or Key West and Cozumel. We are on the April 22 4 night (did the 5 night 2 years ago) and stepdaughters and friends inside comes to exactly $600.00 each ($1,200.00) including stateroom, taxes, Celebrity insurance for $29.00 each with $25,000 MediVac, pre-paid gratuities, tour to Tulum with beach break and kayaking in Key West. A taxi from the Miami airport and back is $25.00 each way. The Century is a classy ship your Mom will love, and remember it has other things like ice cream, 5:00pm Sushi Bar you do not have to pay extra for.

Btw, we wanted to book the Kayaking on our own but the two kayaking companies have an exclusive with the ship and as it turns out exact same 2 hour kayaking is only $10.00 more pp through the ship and that includes transportation to the Marina, so actually the same price to book it through the ship for $45.00 each.

Hello,

And you should know that both my wife and I are substitute teachers. Our daughter is a high school teacher and our sonis a wilderness instructor who works with kids.

So when I tell you that you are very smart, believe it and I greatly admire your initiative (which many pre teens have none whatsoever).

My DW and I have been on lots of cruises. My suggestion is going to be challenged here but I don't care. Anyone as smart as you can easily miss a week of school (you will take some work with you, won't you?) In other words, find a cruise in late April, May or late September, Octobe or early November. It is very unlikely that you will find a cruise within your budget during the times you mentioned.

Look at the travel websites and see which cruises leave from the NYC area. Especially helpful are Vacations to Go, Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity. Also, check with each cruise website for specials that they may have.

Fred, I second your compliment. This is a very smart 12 year old.

Find a way to get to Florida in April and take the Celebrity Century 4 or 5 night cruise. The inside and some OV's (deck 4) or currently $299.000pp. The ship goes out of Miami and either Key West and Grand Cayman or Key West and Cozumel. We are on the April 22 4 night (did the 5 night 2 years ago) and stepdaughters and friends inside comes to exactly $600.00 each ($1,200.00) including stateroom, taxes, Celebrity insurance for $29.00 each with $25,000 MediVac, pre-paid gratuities, tour to Tulum with beach break and kayaking in Key West. A taxi from the Miami airport and back is $25.00 each way. The Century is a classy ship your Mom will love, and remember it has other things like ice cream, 5:00pm Sushi Bar you do not have to pay extra for.

Is Amrtak affordable from NY to Florida?

Fred, I second your compliment. This is a very smart 12 year old.

Fredr thank you so much! You are very kind, smart, and actually realize what is going on in my life. :) I couldn't accept your offer of money, even if you were able to. Thank you for the tips. I will go check v2go.com again at those times. =] There is way more to just not having my dad pay, I would tell you but since this is a open form and some things aren't very appropriate for this, I won't.

serene - i am hoping to go on the Victory at the time. I'm convincing my mom to go on this cruise, no sea days, but she doesn't seem to really like carnival because of the passengers are mostly partiers. I would have to disagree because we are also a partying family, and who wouldn't want to celebrate when you are in paradise?

momofmeg - Thank you, i really appreciate it. =] Not to brag, I am in excelerated English and high honor roll. As that comes to my mind, I probably could make up the work on the bus ride/plane. The only bonuses we get is from past-guest and from living in New York.

It's not likely for us to book a cruise too late, unless we have it planned that we are going on the cruise and book late. My mom is a stay at home mom that pet-sits for a living. At the moment she doesn't have a lot of business. I live on a farm with 4 horses, 5 goats, 100+ chickens, ducks, rabbits, guinea pig, dogs, cats, etc so it would be kind of hard for my 10 y/o sister, elderly/disabled grandparents, and my off-to-college sister/boyfriend would be too helpful.

We have never been on a cruise shorter then 7 day, don't really plan on it, thanks for replying though. ;)

You guys are right, I will look at different dates, and I can make up the work. YES, hurricane season worries me.

Soon I will be babysitting after I take the red cross course at our public library or elsewhere. I'm saving my change in a jar, like CC suggested. =]

What site do you find such cheap air? How, what are your secrets? I use expedia most of the time. I tried searching flying in/out the day of the cruise and the day after/before the cruise. We prefer nonstop or short (1 hour) stops. Usually the times don't work, and the hotels are expensive. Although we have been to Puerto Rico about 10 times put together we don't know our way around the airport, hotels, etc.

Thanks and I hope that covers some holes.

How about the Princess - Caribbean Princess out of San Juan? 1 sea day...$399 ea...7 day...nice ports/times...in mar/may/april...hows the cruise ship/line? We have never been on Princess before. I have heard the MUTS are a big hit though. Do you think it would be a good cruise for us? Although i would miss 5 days of school 1 way or the other...

How about the Princess - Caribbean Princess out of San Juan? 1 sea day...$399 ea...7 day...nice ports/times...in mar/may/april...hows the cruise ship/line? We have never been on Princess before. I have heard the MUTS are a big hit though. Do you think it would be a good cruise for us? Although i would miss 5 days of school 1 way or the other...

between the choices of cruises out of San Juan--I would pick Caribbean Princess over the other two choices.

The wow factor alone.. does this cruise go to Aruba?

between the choices of cruises out of San Juan--I would pick Caribbean Princess over the other two choices.

The wow factor alone.. does this cruise go to Aruba?

Yes. It goes to St. Thomas, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire, and Aruba.

Hello,

The Caribbean Princess would be a nice choice. Princess has something for everyone, and a reasonable price.

Sorry that I can't help you with airfares from New York to San Juan.

Here is another idea...sometimes there are some very nice airfares from NYC to Los Angeles on Southwest Airlines and Jet Blue and even on Continental, United, US Air and American.

There are some $399 per person cruise only and maybe less, 7 day cruises to Mexico. Something different and may be workable for you.

Is Princess assoiated with Carnival/ Is Princess one of Carnival's cruise lines? My mom has enough seamiles on her creditcard for a cheap cruise for 2 I think. Would it work with Princess? Thanks for the tips. I've never been to that side of Mexico. Is it nice?

Is Princess assoiated with Carnival/ Is Princess one of Carnival's cruise lines? My mom has enough seamiles on her creditcard for a cheap cruise for 2 I think. Would it work with Princess? Thanks for the tips. I've never been to that side of Mexico. Is it nice?

I don't think so, unless she had a Princess rewards credit card. Princess is owned by Carnival Corporation which also owns HAL, Cunard, Costa, and of course Carnival. (probably a couple of other lines Carnival Corporation owns also).

We have a Princess rewards card. We recently took a HAL cruise, but we received no discounts from our Princess card for HAL. HAL has their own rewards credit card.

Archived