Whale watching from ship or excursion?

circee

We will be anchored off Lahaina in February and renting a car to see the sights. So many people comment about the ability to see whales from the ship, hotel, etc. that I was not planning on booking a whale watch excursion. But now I wonder if we'll be missing a wonderful opportunity to see whales up close. Should we return the rental a little earlier in order to take a late afternoon excursion and, if so, any recommendations? Everyone mentions Pacific Whale Foundation -- are there other good tour operators?

If you want to really see whales, take the excursion.

Yes, you'll likely see them from the anchored ship but typically much further away, and you'll be high up too. Still, you can watch them thru' binoculars and often see lots of action.

The whalewatch boats aren't supposed to get closer than 100yds (I think that's the limit) but what they don't tell you is that the whales often show curiosity and swim over to check you out and get really close. One I was on, a whale came over and swam around the boat only a few feet away, say six or eight feet, then gave us a tail flip as she soundeda few yards off.

In Kauai a few years ago a baby got so excited jumping that it jumped too close and landed upon the watchers' boat, causing some injuries.

PWF does a good job, out of Lahaina or Maalea(sp), go for it :)

If you go with the assumption that you MIGHT see whales from the ship, it's probable that you will, but not as sure as if you do an excursion. The providers know where the whales are likely to be, so you chances of seeing them, maybe really up close if they are being inquisitive, are better.

I felt the PWF excursion we took out of Lahina was well worth the time and cost, even though we did see some whales from the ship as we were leaving port.

But now I wonder if we'll be missing a wonderful opportunity to see whales up close. Everyone mentions Pacific Whale Foundation -- are there other good tour operators?

If you have never been up close and personal with a whale this is the perfect time and place to do it.

Thanks for the great advice. Now I'm definitely sold. To be honest, however, I am leaning toward using Ultimate Whale Watch excursions; they got pretty good reviews on TripAdvisor. Anyone familiar with this group?

I have noticed that Pacific Whale offers an early morning cruise at 6:30 am? They also offer a discounted 2:30 pm whale watch. Is there an optimal time to take this excursion? We go back to Maui after our POA cruise so time in regards to the ship is not important. Thanks for any insights.

Archived