Taking 15 Month Old Twins on a Cruise - Suggestions/Advice Needed

lydka

Hi everyone,

We are going on the Norwegian Jewel in a couple weeks with our 15 month old twins and I need your help. Does anyone have any suggestions for us? My brother and his wife are coming with us and are willing to help us out too. Thanks in advance,

Lydia

What help do you need? Cruising "as a family" is just like any other family vacation....the focus is on the kids...not the adults. NCL is one of the more "casual" lines, so you can do what you want, when you want (and need to)...just have a relaxing time!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. There is a search function you'll see toward the top right. If you do a search of "twins" in these Family Boards, you'll see that many of us have cruised with twin toddlers (I cruised alone with my twins for the first time when they were 13 months). You'll find lots of tips about strollers (tandem, not side-by-side), feeding, toys, what to do, what to bring, etc. For one week, I brought one box of diapers (just taped a luggage tag to the outside).

Let us know any specific questions you have. As a fellow twin mom, I wish you a great cruise. Our cruises are always our best weeks each year.

Best,

Mia

Sorry about not being specific earlier. I guess I am a bit nervous and don't know what to expect with taking my twins onboard. I have cruised many times before but never with children so I don't have a clue what to expect. Many of my friends, some with twins, think we are crazy taking them so I guess it's more that I need reassurance that it can be done. I guess my one question would be do they have high chairs in the buffet area on NCL and at dinner at the restaurants. Thanks.

I have heard that some parents of younger kids bring a small blow up pool (there is a duckie one I think I have seen pics of). Really helps with bathtime since most cabins have showers only (unless you have a suite- but I am not familiar with NCL... this is based upon what I have read about carnival).

Sounds like a fun family vacation...have a great time!

Sorry about not being specific earlier. I guess I am a bit nervous and don't know what to expect with taking my twins onboard. I have cruised many times before but never with children so I don't have a clue what to expect. Many of my friends, some with twins, think we are crazy taking them so I guess it's more that I need reassurance that it can be done. I guess my one question would be do they have high chairs in the buffet area on NCL and at dinner at the restaurants. Thanks.

It can absolutely be done. I've been cruising alone once or twice a year with my twins since they were 13 months (they just turned 5). We've done all kinds of other vacations, and NOTHING comes close to the value and relaxation of a cruise.

On cruises when my twins were still in high chairs, I found it easier to have a set dining time in the main dining room (We still eat every meal in the dining room. Just did a 12 night cruise and never ate in the buffet). That way the high chairs were all set up and ready for us, and their places were set as I'd want them (i.e., with spoons only), and the waiters would be ready to bring whatever their snack of choice was right away - like bread sticks or something. I know that goes against the Freestyle cruising concept, but it worked best for us.

I urge you to try the main dining room over the buffet. It's such a joy to sit and enjoy a meal with your family that's served to you rather than the up/down abruptness of the buffet. It's one of the best parts of cruising for me because the waiters are always so good about keeping my twins happy. Only a couple times in our many cruises have we had to leave a meal early because of mis-behavior. Bring little clip on toys/books and clip to the high chair.

I brought my tandem Graco DuoGlider on all cruises until this last - and I really missed it on the last one. It's perfect to be able to keep going while they sleep - and I rarely had a problem fitting it anywhere on this ship (which is equiped to deal with wheelchairs). You just have to always be prepared to wait for elevators - but that's not a problem on vacation.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Mia

I just wanted say that we, too, found the dining room much more relaxing for every meal. We just sailed w/ our two sets of twins (7 and 3), and I loved having waiters serve us, versus me getting up a dozen times to get various items. Enjoy your vacation!

Archived