Walking on Glacier- How much time do you need?

tdelliott

We are trying yo decide between tours that spend anywhere from 40 minutes to 2 hours walking on the glacier. We will have our 12 and 15 year old sons with us.

We want to spend enough time on the glacier, but we don't want to spend more time if there is not enough to do to justify the extra time.

How much time have you guys spent on the glacier? Were you able to walk to some interesting sites or were you required to stay on the flat surfaces only? Can you venture into shallow caves (like you see in people's pictures)?

We have to decide between going on a longer helicopter glacier walk in Junea, which means we would have to do whale watching another year, or going on a shorter helicopter glacier tour in Skagway.

Any suggestion or experiences you can share?

Hi,

My wife and I went with NorthStar for the 2 hour trek in Juneau last summer. Would have liked to go longer, but wanted to do other things there. That was one of our favorite excursions for the week. The time goes by fast. Enjoyed the helicopter ride also. Would do it again.

If you want the extensive hiking you are referring to, with caves etc, then I only recommend the level 3 trekking tour with Northstar. TIME is what is necessary, and this is the longest. One trek I did, of Matanuska, we were out for 5 hours, and that time flew by. Benefit was it was a walk in, that got on the ice quickly, compared to the walk ins of Exit or Mendenhall. Got to see and do some really excellent stuff. :)

You need to think hard about these costly options.

I have taken off, hiking, with some of the regular helicopter glacier landings, but most people seem to huddle around the aircraft and not venture out. Even with the very limited time, you can get some walking around in. BUT, in no way, can this be compared to any trek.

Thanks so much for the information.

We would like to do the three hour trek, but our sons are not old enough (you have to be 16). I did not see any other options for a 12 year old and a 15 year old.

I think we will go with the 2 hour trek (since that is the next longest) and do whale watching on our next trip.

Thanks again and I would love to hear other experiences on the 2 hour trek. We are looking forward to the excursion.

We did the 2 hour glaceir trek excursion with our two boys (12 and 14) last summer and it was awesome. The helicopter landed on the glacier, we got out, met our guides and the helicopter left (no hanging around the chopper for anybody!). They gave us our crampons, helmets and ice axes (huge hit with boys!) and off we went. We walked all over, up small hills, down hills, over creeks, drank out of the creeks, it was great and so spectacular to see. Skip the whales-your boys will get more out of this. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

Are you by chance, going one way with your cruise? A fraction of the cost, is available, interior Alaska with walk in glacier treks.

Budget Queen, what would be your first choice for an interior glacier hike? What would be your first choice for a port glacier hike?

Budget Queen, what would be your first choice for an interior glacier hike? What would be your first choice for a port glacier hike?

I'm curious too. We are considering a McKinley walkabout while around Denali but hear great things about flights in Juneau. :)

The most accessable is Matanuska. You are on the ice in 15 minutes. Exit Glacier is a much farther hike in, and so is Mendenhall.

Absolutely excellent "cheap" options to consider.

Oh thank you cardbucfan!!

That is exactly the information I was looking for.

I am going to book the tour now!

Did you book through the ship?

No, we booked it directly through the company who does the ships excursion. Northstar? BudgetQueen will know for sure. It was only $10 pp cheaper but the time was much better to be able to see other things in Juneau. The ships tour was from 12-4 but we did the 10:00 tour so got to be leisurely off the boat then still had time after the trip to go to Mendenhall glacier and see the visitor's center and the glacier itself. Had the helicopter company call us a cab to go to the visitor's center then took the bus back to the ship.

The most accessable is Matanuska. You are on the ice in 15 minutes. Exit Glacier is a much farther hike in, and so is Mendenhall.

Absolutely excellent "cheap" options to consider.

Would these be your first choice? I don't mind spending money if it's worth it. We only want to do a couple of excursions and want the top for a glacier hike. Or fly in. We are big hikers.

We did the 2 hour glaceir trek excursion with our two boys (12 and 14) last summer and it was awesome. The helicopter landed on the glacier, we got out, met our guides and the helicopter left (no hanging around the chopper for anybody!). They gave us our crampons, helmets and ice axes (huge hit with boys!) and off we went. We walked all over, up small hills, down hills, over creeks, drank out of the creeks, it was great and so spectacular to see. Skip the whales-your boys will get more out of this. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

On our last cruise (with limited port time in Juneau), we opted for a glacier landing (about 30-40 minutes on the glacier) AND whale watching...and there is no way I would have given up the whale watching in order to have additional time on the ice. JMHO (of course, we live in a winter wonderland, so snow and ice do not hold the same attraction for us). I personally would not completely omit the whale watching :)

Would these be your first choice? I don't mind spending money if it's worth it. We only want to do a couple of excursions and want the top for a glacier hike. Or fly in. We are big hikers.

You are interior Alaska, independently??? If you want plenty of "ice" time, book the longest available (even private) of Matanuska. For extended hiking, with glacier access, look at Exit. Neither are fly ins. For a fly in, I only recommend the level 3 with Northstar, anything else is just too short, in my opinion. Overall, the fly in is the least amount of time compared to all the walk ins.

There is plenty of hiking all over Alaska to consider. Be sure to look into this, since it appears to be of interest.

You are interior Alaska, independently??? If you want plenty of "ice" time, book the longest available (even private) of Matanuska. For extended hiking, with glacier access, look at Exit. Neither are fly ins. For a fly in, I only recommend the level 3 with Northstar, anything else is just too short, in my opinion. Overall, the fly in is the least amount of time compared to all the walk ins.

There is plenty of hiking all over Alaska to consider. Be sure to look into this, since it appears to be of interest.

Thank You Budget Queen. I will definatly look into these. Would love any hints or info you may have. I am checking out the link that was posted out of seward. We reserved an extended stay there and that is where our camper will be stored for the 14 nights we are cruiseing.

Archived