Declare posessions before a cruise?

chadci

I just bought a cruise, and actually read the contract :rolleyes:. When you mentioned declaring belongings you bring aboard, I* thought you may be referring to the contract where under #4 about baggage and limitations of liability, it states:

(d) It is stipulated and agreed that the aggregate value of Guest’s property, does not exceed $50 per guest or bag with a maximum value of $100 per stateroom regardless of the number of occupants or bags and any liability of Carnival for any cause whatsoever with respect to said property shall not exceed such sum, unless the Guest shall in writing, delivered to Carnival, prior to embarkation, declare the true value thereof and pay to Carnival prior to embarkation a sum equal to 5% of the excess of such value. If Carnival shall be held liable for the loss of or damage to Guest’s baggage or property it is agreed that such liability shall not exceed the lesser of: (1) the actual cash value, or (2) value declared in the manner above provided (up to U.S. $100 if no such declaration has been made). Declared value amounts to be proportionately reduced in any case where less than all of Guest’s baggage or property is lost, delayed or rendered unusable due to damage. In no event shall Carnival be liable to pay any compensation if the nature or value of the property has been misrepresented.

I had never noticed this before! I'm sure I won't "declare" the value of our stuff, but with 4 in a cabin, cameras, jewelry, laptop, shoes, luggage, etc., you'd better believe it is more than $100 worth of stuff! I guess if you just wanted to insure your belongings, that would be a way to go about it. Although, if you read the contract, Carnival is probably not liable for anything anyway. I couldn't think of a circumstance in which they would be liable for loss of passenger property based on the way the contract is worded.

Do I care? Heck no! Won't stop me from cruising, but there is some interesting stuff in that contract! Wonder if anyone actually does this? (Pays the 5%to Carnival for the overage ahead of time, just in case)???

Boo

RU mixing up CCL's baggage liability with Customs declarations?

The "declaration is what you tell CUSTOMS you BOUGHT while out of the US and are bringing into the country. Nothing to do with baggage values or the value of anything you brought on board. But people DO buy stuff out of the US and then try to tell Customs that they had it with them when they left the states.

I think the jewelry issue is because most people do not bring their good jewelry with them when they travel. So if you seem to have a lot of good jewelry with you it raises suspicions- and sometimes rightfully so. We've never been stopped with anything although this time we will have a good and reasonably new camera with us so now that you have mentioned it, we might bring along the receipts for it, just in case. The worst that would happen generally is that you would have to pay taxes on the item or items if they decided that you had gone over your allowable limit. But since we never buy more than about $20 worth of "stuff" on cruises we would most likely be fine anyway.

Hi,

I never thought about the number of camera lenses I take with me on a cruise. I usually take 3 or 4 lenses with me, depending what I want to photograph. Lenses are easily $500 and up, per lens! Tack on the camera body itself and the laptop? I am way over the limit! I will have to use the Customs form that someone thoughtfully placed the link to, on this thread.

That would take the cake! Bought the gear in the U.S., then have to pay duties on the stuff to bring it back again!

Lee

Don't think it can't or won't happen.

I've never had it happen on a cruise, but did have it happen twice when crossing from Canada back to US and after flying home from Japan.

I had a lot of equipment with me. Fortunatly, I had the proper customs forms with me proving that I had them in my possession prior to leaving the US.

One of my co-workers did not have the forms. His equipment sat in customs for months before they were satisfied that no duty or taxes were due.

When you check in, ask where you can register your items. There is a Customs form for that and is readily available.

This is a really good idea for fine jewelry pieces and your electronics.....especially if your electronics look "new".

Archived