First time cruiser ?'s

donnam504

Thinking of cruising for the 1st time. Planning to do RC Freedom/Western Caribbean in May. Looking at AFT. Balcony. Several ?'s:

How is the spa? for massages, treatments...prices?

DH has heard from co-workers who have cruised b4 that the clubs open late, like 10pm?

What kinds of things are on the room service menu?

Is there a movie theater on the Freedom?

How much $ should be allotted for alcohol? How much for Domestic bottled beer or screwdivers? Juice?

Will RC allow you to "check/ bring" soda & bottled water on board?

It's either this cruise or an all-inclusive resort in Punta Caya for our 15th anniversary/my 40th bday! I'm pulling for the cruise & DH wants the all-inclusive;)!

Thanks!!

Most of your questions can be answered by reading reviews of Freedom OTS. As far as Cruise Vs. All-Inclusive: if you're heavy drinkers, maybe the AI works better, but a cruise offers greater variety. We did an Excursion in Nassau - a few people on the Excursion were staying at an AI, but they said the excursion was the best time they had. Spend some time on these boards, and you'll find tons of info, and lots of helpful people.

Are you looking at going May this year?? If so, don't get your heart set on an aft cabin. These are some of the most sought after cabins on any ship and are usually gone at least a year in advance. As for the clubs, there are lots of bars that will be open almost all day. The disco usually opens earlier by won't get busy until after 10 or so, at least that's the way it's been on most of our cruises. I can't answer any questions particular to the Freedom but you can bring on bottled water and sodas. As for the bar tab at the end of the cruise, for the DW and I, based on a 7 day cruise it's in the neighborhood of $1200

including the wine package for dinner. Good luck and happy sailing.

Aubie

You may bring just about any non-alcoholic liquid....although you really won't need water...the ship's is fine to drink...very pure.

The spas are expensive, compared to most land prices..

Most 1st timers will end up spending about 1/2 of the total cost of the cruise on "extras", like alcohol, photos, spa, excursions...

There is a movie theater, on deck 2 under the main theater. The room service menu is sadly lacking...I seem to remember it had 3 sandwiches, 3 salads, and just a few other items. Fortunately, one of those items is a bowl of cheeze and chorizo sausage with guacamole, and plenty of chips to dip in it.

Try to convince DH to go with you - it's way more fun than a land resort.

Pix on my web site, along with menus and other info.

It's either this cruise or an all-inclusive resort in Punta Caya for our 15th anniversary/my 40th bday! I'm pulling for the cruise & DH wants the all-inclusive;)!

Thanks!!

I've priced both AI and cruises, also for my 40th birthday, and by far cruising is a much better deal unless you drink a lot, I mean A LOT. On a 5 day cruise we spend about $450 on drinks and incidentals that we buy on the ship. And I usually have a stack of receipts reminding us of how much fun we had:D RCI is the most strict cruise line I've been on regarding bringing on wine and allows only 1 bottle per person but all the soft drinks/water you want. The wine prices are not bad, it's the fruity drinks with keepsake glasses and that expensive scotch he seems to enjoy each evening...lol, whatever you choose, have a GREAT time.

I've priced both AI and cruises, also for my 40th birthday, and by far cruising is a much better deal unless you drink a lot, I mean A LOT. On a 5 day cruise we spend about $450 on drinks and incidentals that we buy on the ship. And I usually have a stack of receipts reminding us of how much fun we had:D RCI is the most strict cruise line I've been on regarding bringing on wine and allows only 1 bottle per person but all the soft drinks/water you want. The wine prices are not bad, it's the fruity drinks with keepsake glasses and that expensive scotch he seems to enjoy each evening...lol, whatever you choose, have a GREAT time.

Not correct anymore. For the past few years, RCI's policy has been no alcohol of any kind, not even the bottle or two of wine they used to allow. Of course that doesn't mean that people haven't managed to sneak wine or alcohol onboard, just that RCI's rules do not allow it.

beachchick

Archived