Starwood Hotels in Rome - which one?

caribbeansun

Reviving this thread...

Hoping for advice from those of you that have been to both hotels or are at least familiar with them...

We will be in Rome for 3 days pre-cruise. I have enough points for all 3 nights at the Westin or 2 nights at the St. Regis and pay for the 3rd.

Is the St. Regis worth the $$$ or should I go for the Westin that will be entirely covered by points?

Opinions?

Thanks!

Mary

We are going to be doing 3 pre-cruise days in Rome as well. Are these hotels within walking distance of some of the major sight seeing stops like the Coliseum or the Trevi fountain. How about restaurants. We don't have a problem with public transprotation but we are looking for as much convenience as possible. Although we don't want to throw money away; we would pay a little more for the hotel if we can walk to our destinations.

I can see staying at one of these hotels if you are using points. If you are paying for your stay, I'd choose something closer in. These hotels are better situated for business travelers to Rome rather than tourists. It's not that they aren't walking distance, it's just a much longer walk, and the walk back to the hotel is uphill. They are not close enough, for example, that you could easily stop back at your hotel during the day if you wanted to.

I can see staying at one of these hotels if you are using points. If you are paying for your stay, I'd choose something closer in. These hotels are better situated for business travelers to Rome rather than tourists. It's not that they aren't walking distance, it's just a much longer walk, and the walk back to the hotel is uphill. They are not close enough, for example, that you could easily stop back at your hotel during the day if you wanted to.

euro cruiser ... Thanks for the information.

From reading prior posts, I understand the Starwood hotels are further away from tourist attractions, but are relatively close to public transportation. By using points, we'll save about $1,500 USD. Certainly worth it for us. I wish Hyatt had something in Rome, but their closest hotel is in Milan...

However, I'm trying to decide between 3 days with points at the Westin or 2 days with points and paying for the 3rd day at the St. Regis.

Comments anyone?

The value you place on your *wood points is a personal decision.

For me, based on the fact we will spend minimal time in the room while enjoying Rome I was quite happy to save the points and use them elsewhere so chose the Westin at 12k vs. 20k for Eden or St. Regis.

The 3 hotels are sufficiently close to one another as to make location pretty much a non-issue for us although from everything I've read St. Regis is located in the least desirable spot for sight-seeing (fewer restaurants, etc.) albeit marginally so as is more appropriate for business travel.

I don't know that there is a wrong decision here. If you are so inclined there are numerous posts on this at Flyertalk.

The value you place on your *wood points is a personal decision.

For me, based on the fact we will spend minimal time in the room while enjoying Rome I was quite happy to save the points and use them elsewhere so chose the Westin at 12k vs. 20k for Eden or St. Regis.

The 3 hotels are sufficiently close to one another as to make location pretty much a non-issue for us although from everything I've read St. Regis is located in the least desirable spot for sight-seeing (fewer restaurants, etc.) albeit marginally so as is more appropriate for business travel.

I don't know that there is a wrong decision here. If you are so inclined there are numerous posts on this at Flyertalk.

Thanks for the input...I think you are correct... There isn't a wrong decision... Will certainly look at Flyertalk.

I agree with your comments regarding the Westin and am inclined to book there as fewer miles are required. My only concerns are the comments on tripadvisor regarding AC issues at the Westin. After a long day of touring, I'd hate having a hot room.

Thanks again....

Archived