Starwood Hotels in Rome - which one?

caribbeansun

I have the choice of the following using points (all are the same cost), which would be considered superior and why?

1) Hotel Eden

2) St. Regis Grand

3) Westin Excelsior

They seem to be in fairly close proximity to one another.

Thanks in advance.

Well, you sure can't go wrong with any of them, they are beautiful.

The locations of these hotels make them attractive for those doing business with the Italian government or with one of several large embassies in the area. They are certainly near enough to the historic sites, but not right in the midst of them.

Personally, I'd say the least attractive, based strictly on location, is the St. Regis Grand.

Second least attractive, for me, would be the Excelsior, simply because it's on Via Veneto, which may have been a really cool area in the "dolce vita" days of the sixties, but now feels like really overpriced real estate (think upper east side of New York - if you like that, you'll like this area). Of course, that hasn't stopped me from drinking there ... great bar, although wildy high priced. We were having one of those "dolce vita" kind of nights though, and really, really enjoyed it there.

The Eden is more or less in the same area, but not on the main street and is in a more residential area (with an embassy right near by ... maybe Swiss? I can't remember).

Thanks for the reply, after more research (probably my OCD kicking in here) I've ruled out the Westin so I'm down to the St. Regis and Eden. Reviews seem to suggest St. Regis rooms are nicer but Eden has a better location which is consistent with your input - decisions, decisions...

It's interesting, however, when you start to read the actual reviews that people wrote on Trip Advisor, an awful lot of them are couched, as in "good but ...",. At least on the first page or so of reviews, most were staying there on points, I'm not sure how that impacts their review and/or perception.

I did note several negative comments about the location of the St. Regis, but a couple of positive ones as well.

We are looking at the Radisson Blu near the main railway station in Rome which has convenient rail links to both the airport and the port in Civitavecchia

The location is convenient, as you say, but it's also about as charmless as it gets in downtown Rome. If you're only going to drop your bags there and go back to sleep there at night, it won't really matter to you. If you're going to be there for several days, you might want to find something located more in the centro storico.

Personally, I'd say the least attractive, based strictly on location, is the St. Regis Grand.

That's disappointing to hear! I'm stunned. We booked the St. Regis with our Starwood points, but did so only after looking at map and Google Earth. Seemed to be the most centrally located of the Starwood hotels, and a relatively convenient location. Now, having substantial misgivings. Can you be more specific about the problems with the location? We may just decide to save our points and book elsewhere with $$. (Sure glad the OP posed this question.)

The St. Regis isn't inconvenient, just the least so among the three, from my perspective.

It's on a busy street, close to many Italian government buildings, corporate offices, embassies (including the US one) and the train station. It's fantastically convenient for many business visits to Rome.

From a tourist's perspective, close to the train station (which is also the largest bus terminus in the city) can be an important factor; that also makes it one of the busiest traffic areas.

It's quite close to Santa Maria Vittoria (where you can see Bernini's Ecstacy of St. Teresa) and the Quirinale Palace (Italy's White House).

The convenience issue, from my perspective, is about the ability to stop in during the day, or easily stroll back in the evening, after dinner/seeing the key sites lit at night. The St. Regis is quite a hike from the places most tourists are visiting, especially on a short and/or first trip to Rome (for example, the Colosseum/Forum, Vatican, Pantheon, Piazza Navona).

It's also near the top of the highest of the hills of Rome (Quirinale), so the walk back is usually uphill. (The uphill issue is true for all three of the Starwood properties, to some extent.)

If while touring you typically head out in the morning and keep going all day, the ability to stop in during the day won't be an important factor for you. If you are planning to take the train into and/or out of Rome, you'd be a very short cab ride away from the station at the St. Regis. For the Vatican, you'd be close to the metro stop at Repubblica (the same metro will take you to the Spanish Steps). For that matter, you could take the metro (with a change of lines at Termini) to the Colosseum as well.

I'm a walker, and Rome is an excellent city for walking, so I appreciate being located where I can get everywhere easily on foot. You can see from the paragraph above that you can easily get anywhere in Rome from the St. Regis via metro or bus (I didn't go into detail on that, but as the St. Regis is near the main bus terminus in Rome, you can get a bus to almost anywhere about three blocks from the hotel). Ultimately, it comes down to how you define convenience.

I stayed at the Westin Excelsior when I was in Rome 2 years ago and the location isn't great. It isn't terrible but its quite a walk to all the sightseeing locations. If I go back I will not stay at any of the SPG locations in Rome as convenience is one of the most important factors for me.

We stayed at the St. Regis with points in November. The room was very luxurious. The location was fine, except that there were no good restaurants very close. However, the subway stop was only a block away and it was quite easy to get to anywhere very quickly. I have not stayed at the others, so I can't compare. But I can say that the amenities and room at the St. Regis were extremely nice.

Got some deliberation to do. I suppose if I cancel there will be some kind of penalty, unless points not already transferred. Well, I guess I'll see.

Please don't make yourself nuts over this. As the previous poster confirms, I'm sure the rooms at the St. Regis will be better than almost any other hotel in Rome, and while the location isn't the most convenient, it's not awful.

Rome is one of the most amazing places in the world, she will overcome any inconvenience. I would use a little of the money saved to take cabs back to the hotel when you're ready, and it will all even out.

Good restaurants in the neighborhood are hard to find. I went to a lovely family run place a few blocks from there three or four years ago, I'll have to dig around in my notes to find the name.

Okay, I found the restaurant. It's called Da Vincenzo, and from the St. Regis you turn right, walk a couple of blocks to Via 20 Settembre (on your right for most of the walk is a huge government building, I can't remember which department), turn right and walk about five blocks to Via Castelfidardo. Here's a web site with more information: http://www.ristorantidiroma.com/davincenzo/homeeng.htm

We were staying on Via Naazionale that trip, near the opera house. We didn't find much in the way of restaurants within walking distance. However, I love (and have been back several times) to a place often mentioned on Cruise Critic, La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali (web site: http://www.latavernadeiforiimperiali.com/). It's not horribly far, as the name implies, it's near the Forum. (I'm going to be in Rome the week after next, so I'll get to eat there again, in their new location. Color me happy!)

There was also a restaurant I liked a couple of blocks from the Trevi fountain, Picolo Arancio (web site mentioning it, only in Italian, sorry: http://www.menudiroma.com/ita/locali/scheda.aspx?IDLocale=35).

We stayed at the St. Regis Grand a couple years ago (on Starwood points!) and it turned out to be VERY convenient for us, as we came into Rome and left on the train. It's only a five minute walk from Termini. We were able to walk straight out the front of the station and see the top of the Regis, and get there with our suitcases without difficulty.

I didn't think the location was bad at all for touring around. As others have noted, it's convenient to the subway and busses. I am a big walker, so what's convenient for me may not be convenient for others, but my husband and I usually saw one big site in the morning, had lunch, walked back to the hotel to rest for a couple hours, then went out again in the late afternoon to see more sites/have dinner/walk around at night. Once we did get a cab back to the hotel--we were out in Trastevere, had been walking all day, and weren't up to the hike back at midnight--but it wasn't that bad.

Our room was small, but unbelievably luxe. We got recommendations for restaurants nearby from others who were staying in the hotel. We also found the staff to be friendly and knowledgeable. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• 2 months later...

We decided on the St. Regis Grand for 2 nights pre-cruise in October. While it is not my preferred location, the difference between using points versus paying $$ will cover a multitude of cab rides (or even a private tour)

Mary in RI

I can't comment on the St. Regis, but we've stayed at both the Westin Excelsior and the Hotel Eden in Rome. Both hotels are lovely with very nice rooms and good restaurants. Both are within walking distance of most major attractions. Between the two though I would choose the Hotel Eden. I preferred the location, the hotel seems less dark, and the restaurant at the top has amazing views.

Yes, Westin dropped its points redemtion because its rating dropped below the others. I'm just wondering what that says about the hotel. Also wondering whether the standard rooms are quite nice or whether one needs to upgrade to get a decent accommodation. The comment about "dark" interests me-- we really don't enjoy gloomy-feeling rooms.

Thanks so much for feedback.

I also have quite a few Starwood points, but have chosen not to use them in Rome because I like the location around the Pantheon. I am staying at the Albergo del Senato next month for less than 300 euros a night, and some of the rooms have a gorgeous view of the Pantheon. (The hotel is in the same piazza as the Pantheon). The room comes with an extensive continental breakfast. You may want to check it out. I am using my Starwood points in Venice for a room with a balcony on the Grand Canal at Europa and Regina. And you can cancel your reservation with points and they redeposit them back into your account--at least they have done that with me numerous times.

I want to say also that I have not even been to the three Starwood hotels in Rome, and that I based my decision solely on looking at the map and knowing that I liked the Pantheon area. Wherever you stay, you will love Rome.

Thanks for your response, Bonnie. I know that many people love the Senato, but it wouldn't do for us because one of our highest priorities is peace and quiet. I know that the rooms at that albergo aren't all that quiet, especially the ones that face the square. It sounds like a fine and dandy place for folks who love "action" and interesting views. (We're in our late 70's and are at the point where good solid rest is really most important.) We're thinking of maybe staying at Capo d'Africa, near the colisseum. It's on a quiet street and, like the Senato, in an area I think we'd prefer to be in rather than where the Starwood properties are. But I keep thinking that the beds would be much more comfortable at the Westin, and also that it might be more quiet. So I go back and forth.

Again, thanks for your input.

• 3 months later...

Reviving this thread...

Hoping for advice from those of you that have been to both hotels or are at least familiar with them...

We will be in Rome for 3 days pre-cruise. I have enough points for all 3 nights at the Westin or 2 nights at the St. Regis and pay for the 3rd.

Is the St. Regis worth the $$$ or should I go for the Westin that will be entirely covered by points?

Opinions?

Thanks!

Mary

Archived