Port of Lorient, France

winegirl

Looking for information on tour possibilities in this port. Oceania is stopping there for a full day and I can't find much of interest in the port. The ship has no tours posted on their website, the tourism board answers inquiries in French. From what I've been able to find, this is an area of Brittany that is popular with campers. There is an old German submarine base there, and a small museum. But the websites that do describe the port are not particularly glowing in their descriptions.

• 2 months later...

We are stopping there too on the Prisendam. HAL has three tours for that port. One of my neighbors, who lived in Brittany, said the place to go is Quimper, a very quaint, old town. Since we arrive on a Sunday, and spend only 5 hours there, we are taking the ship's tour. Since you have a full day, perhaps you can DIY. There are 2 other places of interest, both in opposite directions, one had many ancient megaliths, the other is a fishing village. Check the Prisendams shore excursions for the information.

We are arriving after you on July 11, I cant help you any more than this.

Agee with Willicatgirl. Have just come back from a cruise and we spent a lovely day in Quimper. Booked the coach via the excursion desk but just wandered about happily on our own. Really pretty town, typically French, easily walkable, interesting indoor market, small cathedral and lots of places to eat / shop.

We are stopping there too on the Prisendam. HAL has three tours for that port. One of my neighbors, who lived in Brittany, said the place to go is Quimper, a very quaint, old town. Since we arrive on a Sunday, and spend only 5 hours there, we are taking the ship's tour. Since you have a full day, perhaps you can DIY. There are 2 other places of interest, both in opposite directions, one had many ancient megaliths, the other is a fishing village. Check the Prisendams shore excursions for the information.

We are arriving after you on July 11, I cant help you any more than this.

We are concerned that, arriving on Sunday, many shops will be closed,and the chruch may be available for touring, as well. Have you checked with HAL, to see how much of the town will be available?

Hi Sheila,

According to my neighbor, there may not be any taxis in Lorient b/c of Sunday, so we have to do the ship tour if we want to get to Quimper. She said that there is not much in Lorient itself. I guess we can fill the few hours in that town, get some crepes, etc.

How's it going with the M&G? The regular roll call is awful quiet.

Carol

• 3 months later...

Archived