Emerald Princess - New Waves Dive Center?

turquoisesea

When we were on the Crown last year we were able to rent snorkel equipment for the week at the New Waves Dive and Snorkel Center on the Sun Deck. It was a tiny door by the spa. I can't find this on the Emerald Deck Plan. Does anyone know if they have this center on the Emerald, too?

When we were on the Crown last year we were able to rent snorkel equipment for the week at the New Waves Dive and Snorkel Center on the Sun Deck. It was a tiny door by the spa. I can't find this on the Emerald Deck Plan. Does anyone know if they have this center on the Emerald, too?

There is not one on Emerald. I believe they moved this to Princess Cays.

Princess used to also offer scuba certification courses on board. Sadly they've dropped this. :(

I tried this certification course back in 2005 and it wasn't very good so i'm kinda glad they dropped it. I say only offer something like this if it makes sense and is a good quality program. It was too rushed and just not the ideal way to become certified. Out of the 5 of us in our course only 1 actually got certified - it was a big disappointment and i'm sure i'm not the first to say it. So perhaps this is part of the reason it was cancelled.

I tried this certification course back in 2005 and it wasn't very good so i'm kinda glad they dropped it. I say only offer something like this if it makes sense and is a good quality program. It was too rushed and just not the ideal way to become certified. Out of the 5 of us in our course only 1 actually got certified - it was a big disappointment and i'm sure i'm not the first to say it. So perhaps this is part of the reason it was cancelled.

I did it on the Star Princess in 2006 and was impressed with the program. The instructor was an ex-navy instructor and very good. I had done mine as a referral from my local dive shop in Colorado. We did a review of all skills in the pool.

The only downside was that an el norte blew off our 2nd day of dives in Cozumel. So none of us were able to finish either. Not sure how often that happens, but when you have limited time in every port, it can make getting the dives in on an itinerary with only a couple of stops is tough.

Great Video of your trip on the Emerald "Fore on the Floor"!

I really thought the underwater camer-work was phenomenal!

Now I can't wait for our cruise on the Emerald!

Thanks, the under water shots are from the Coki beach discovery scuba excursion in St. Thomas. Highly recommend this for any snorkelers. The Coki beach divers take care of everything and are very good.

did they offer some sort of rebate since the course couldn't be completed due to the loss of a port?

Depending on the cost I'd likely do it anyhow.

Yes they did..Plus we got a rebate on missing Jamaica due to mechanical problems leaving Ft. Lauderdale.

I'd don't think they do it anymore. At one point New Waves had its own website which appears to be long gone.

Archived