fake wedding on board

BagO-Brian

my friends are looking to get "married" on a cruise to MX. The actual, real, signing of the license etc... will take place after the cruise once we are back on US soil.

Is there any reason the cruise company would object to us just meeting at a location that is free of people and have a quick 5 minute fake wedding? We would not be asking for anything from the cruise or her crew, in fact I doubt they would even know about this. But in the even that they find out is there reason to be concerned?

my friends are looking to get "married" on a cruise to MX. The actual, real, signing of the license etc... will take place after the cruise once we are back on US soil.

Is there any reason the cruise company would object to us just meeting at a location that is free of people and have a quick 5 minute fake wedding? We would not be asking for anything from the cruise or her crew, in fact I doubt they would even know about this. But in the even that they find out is there reason to be concerned?

Why don't your friends getting "married" on one of the stops? That might be safer and still have cool pic's of a destination wedding. Just an idea.

The only problem I foresee is that with the carnival wedding package you aren't allowed to bring your own photographer and what you are explaining to me sounds like you basically just want pictures of a wedding on a ship so they might want their own photographers to take the pics but if they don't even see what is happening I don't think they would care.

Usually the only locations free of people are restricted areas...therefore...there is bound to be crew members see you in which they would ask you to leave the area.

As a PP said, I think it would be a great idea to say the vows at one of the ports...some place historical or a gorgeous beach.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure I understand the point of your friends wanting to do a "fake" wedding onboard the ship? Why don't they either really get married onboard, or just do the land wedding after the cruise? What do they have to gain by having a fake wedding? Are they planning on inviting fake wedding guests? Would there be a fake wedding officiant?

Yes, there is such thing as a "fake" wedding. Usually they call it a Symbolic Ceremony though. Anyone can book one and it's up to the bride and groom whether they want to let people know that it is symbolic or not. That way it's a bit easier and faster to get yoru marriage license from your home town. Same sex couple use these ceremonies when where they are visiting doesn't recognize same sex marriages.

I am actually doing the same thing and I don't see why anyone should have a problem with it. There is a lot of red tape involved with marrying at sea or in a foreign country.

I just want simple and meaningful. My mother who is a notary is going to "marry" us by having us sign the legal documents the day before the cruise. The next day we board. Right before dinner, we will find a nice quiet spot outside with the dozen or so people coming with us and we will exchange our vows and rings together.

I do not want to spend the couple extra thousand for private room when I want to be out on a deck at night, or an officiant when I want my mother to perform it, real flowers for a bouquet when I can bring silk, etc. Yes, they can supply music and a photographer, but I can bring a cd player for free and they charge for the pictures......so it would be a waste of money for me to book a wedding through them.

I'll do it on my own and how I want it. We won't be disrupting anything or going anywhere forbidden, so it should not be a problem. What are they going to do? Throw us of the ship?? ha ha ha

I'm not sure I understand the point of your friends wanting to do a "fake" wedding onboard the ship? Why don't they either really get married onboard, or just do the land wedding after the cruise? What do they have to gain by having a fake wedding? Are they planning on inviting fake wedding guests? Would there be a fake wedding officiant?

Why the sarcasm? There is a lot of red tape to go through to get married at sea or at a foreign port. I fully understand what he is talking about after investigating a cruise wedding myself.

If you read his post, they ARE doing a land wedding after the cruise. They just want to say the vows to each other on board.

If you want to be outside you might consider doing it early one morning. Just before dawn the light is incredible and you'll have absolutely no problem finding private space.

While it's difficult during normal waking hours to find exterior private areas on the upper decks you'll often find that the muster deck is fairly empty. Except of course during muster.

During the day a good number of interior entertainment spaces will be unused and available.

If you post the name of the ship I'm sure that someone on this board will be able to make more detailed suggestions.

even the sarcastic ones.

Slvrngld: What you are describing is exactly what they are planning on doing. We will be on Carnival Paradise and it will happen while docked in Ensenada. The plan is to do it on the Verandah deck, outside, right on top of the bridge. It is a very private, public deck, that while in port, is usually void of people. Frankly if there are a few strangers there that is fine. It is a ceremony and I think all can appreciate that aspect of it.

As to the using a fake minister, nope I am completely legit.

Why the sarcasm? There is a lot of red tape to go through to get married at sea or at a foreign port. I fully understand what he is talking about after investigating a cruise wedding myself.

If you read his post, they ARE doing a land wedding after the cruise. They just want to say the vows to each other on board.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I don't understand why the fake wedding...why not just make it legal and still have their land marriage afterwards?

And it isn't a hassle...I was married onboard a cruise and it could not have been simpler.

I totally agree with Jerseygirl...I don't understand the idea of a FAKE Wedding...I also got married onboard and it was by far simpler then any other wedding I could have planned...and trust me my Maid of Honor is getting married next year and she is having the traditional wedding and she is already stressing out about everything...when it came to my wedding I did not stress at all!

Ok I think the sarcasm comes with use the word "fake" the wedding isn't fake so if we use the word symbolic I think people would understand a little better that this is a wedding with "real" everything except the legal aspect. It's basically the reverse of an at home reception that brides are always talking about, the legal part will be done elsewhere whereas the celebration will occur on the cruise. These people aren't trying to hide from the crew and do this in secret they just want to make sure they aren't breaking any rules by having a little get together on board in wedding attire and I don't really see a problem from anything that I've read on the carnival website or on these boards other than if you were to plan to bring your own professional photog, and I do recommend that even if you don't use a professional one than grab one of carnivals and have them take some shots and try to haggle out a better price for these shots when you see them in the gallery, I had a great experience with mine and the price was well worth capturing those memories :)

Real wedding at Justice of the Peace....."Fake" wedding with family and celebration???

I actually was the Matron of honor at a 25k "fake wedding" They actually got married 2 months before that date because of custody and vistitation issues. The legal wedding took place with the JP...the bride and groom in jeans and T-shirt and me as a witness and no one knew. They celebrate their anniversary on the "fake" date as well because to them that is when they got married.

I can't think of any reason why this would be a problem? In fact I would let the photographer on board know in case you wanted to buy any of the pictures they took. As for places, does the ship they are on have a chapel? Not all do but they are usually deserted.

Did you ladies get the wedding package?? With a consultant that does all the work for you?

Only three cruise lines perform weddings at sea: Princess, Celebrity and Azamara. These are all out of my price range and my guests who will be coming. So I opt for a cheaper line. And they must be in port or off the ship for them to marry us. (That is not what I want. I want to exchange our vows out AT SEA.)

Then there is the issue of the marriage license. Getting married in port or on shore in a different country requires you to have a license from wherever the ceremony will be. A few places will let you get the license by mail, but most require you to apply in person, with some requiring up to a 3 day waiting period. Could pose a problem if you live in Montana and want to get married in St. Croix. Some will require that once in port, you will need to leave the ship, swear before a judge that everything is correct with previous prepared paperwork, then go back to the ship for your ceremony.

Too much hassle to me. I just want as simple as can be. My mom is a notary that lives in FL, so she is legal. We are going to apply for the license and fill out all paperwork in FL, so it will be legal. Then we will go on the ship the next day, find a spot that we can all gather together at night when my husband and we will say our vows and exchange our rings. And we are done. I don't see anything "fake" about it. It will all be legal. Just not in a traditional church setting with a priest and the wedding gown and tons of people, etc. It doesn't matter if other people see us. I realize it is public access with thousands of people around. I don't see any reason why anyone should have a problem with it.

Good luck to your friends, BagO-Brian.

Thanks Silvrngold. What you are planning is very much what my friends are doing as well.

I frankly was surprised that so many of you have said this should not be a problem and that Carnival should not have issue with this. I know Carnival, as do other lines, try to capitalize on as much as they can, but not everyone can afford their wedding packages. I obviously used the work Fake when I should have said Symbolic.

Thanks also for the suggestion to have a cruiseship photographer there to capture some shots. great idea. I am just concerned that since we will be docked in Ensenada at the time, I would imagine the ship photographers will be on dock taking pics of people in from of a sombrero.

Thanks Silvrngold. What you are planning is very much what my friends are doing as well.

I frankly was surprised that so many of you have said this should not be a problem and that Carnival should not have issue with this. I know Carnival, as do other lines, try to capitalize on as much as they can, but not everyone can afford their wedding packages. I obviously used the work Fake when I should have said Symbolic.

Thanks also for the suggestion to have a cruiseship photographer there to capture some shots. great idea. I am just concerned that since we will be docked in Ensenada at the time, I would imagine the ship photographers will be on dock taking pics of people in from of a sombrero.

Email Carnival and let them know that you are interested in booking a photographer for a private family event when you are docked in Ensenada. Ask them whom you can contact to arrange to do this. Do not say 'for a wedding' or the prices will shoot up sky high. If they inquire what the event is just tell them it is a family gathering, a reunion of sorts, and you want it to be photo documented.

If you cant get firm resolution on hiring a photographer prior to boarding then contact guest relations or the cruise director once on board and ask them if they can help you arrange to hire a photographer for x hours on y day. Typically this will be a photographer whom is not on call that day and will be earning extra cash.

BE SURE to discuss photo packages before the event and before you alert them that this is a wedding. That way you wont get gouged on the price.

Congrats and happy sailing!

P.S. we got married in Cabo, in a symbolic ceremony, on the ship with 30 family and friends. Mexico's marrage pre requisites would have had us running around like chickens with our heads cut off in order to make the day an actual real ceremony.

We live in Texas with is a state that recognizes common law marriages where you are allowed to pick the date you actually felt that you were married 'from'. When we got back we filed a marriage license that stated the day we 'felt' legally wed from the date of the actual symbolic ceremony on the ship.

My mom freaked that it wasn't a real ceremony but it worked out very well in the end.

What a great story. Was the ceremony on the ship performed by, or at the knowledge of the ship?

I find it fascinating the different opinions people have of what is "real" or not. I became an ordained minister through the Universal Life Church via an online webform. All I needed was an email address and a physical address. They record it as you are ordained under their rules, which is recognized by the states as being someone qualified to witness/perform the "swearing in" of this new entity. Frankly all teh state really cares is that you pay for, and file a marriage license (aka business license). If the couple believes that the person who conducts the ceremony is rightfully able to do so, the state will even recognize that as valid.

To me, it's one more reason to party and celebrate life!

What a great story. Was the ceremony on the ship performed by, or at the knowledge of the ship?

I find it fascinating the different opinions people have of what is "real" or not. I became an ordained minister through the Universal Life Church via an online webform. All I needed was an email address and a physical address. They record it as you are ordained under their rules, which is recognized by the states as being someone qualified to witness/perform the "swearing in" of this new entity. Frankly all teh state really cares is that you pay for, and file a marriage license (aka business license). If the couple believes that the person who conducts the ceremony is rightfully able to do so, the state will even recognize that as valid.

To me, it's one more reason to party and celebrate life!

Our ceremony and reception was done utilizing the services of Royal Romance. Royal Romance is also known as The Wedding Experience. The Wedding Experience is based out of Miami, has a C- BBB rating and does all of the ship weddings.

Archived