Smart Casual - the debate

blitznbobs

I have this pair (bought for much less at Ross!), that I consider my "nicer" jeans. The material is thinner than traditional denim. I would wear them to lunch or to work, but not dinner or church. I have worn them to an evening performance at our local theater, but I was probably on the dressier side there!

I've never really thought about men's jeans other than plain old Levi's. When my husband and I go to dinner, he's more liable to wear trousers or khakis.

I really liked the picture showing the jeans that are "inappropriate".

Now, could someone post the jeans that would be considered

appropriate.

Also, men's vs, ladies; skinny ladies/men vs. fluffy ladies.

I think this:jeans.jpg.54a0e7ae3995893eac22400faeb84090.jpg

looks much better than this:polyester.jpg.f8fe442390a74e83732816f43f35a0fa.jpg

which many people think fit the dress code for casual.

Which do you think looks more appropriate for the dining room?

I disagree. The first outfit you'd wear to a bar, the second is more "resort casual" to me.

I think this:[ATTACH]144503[/ATTACH]

looks much better than this:[ATTACH]144504[/ATTACH]

I definately would wear the first look for casual nights on Carnival or Royal Caribbean. The second look would not be flattering on me at all. Royal Caribbean has three types of nights -casual, smart casual and formal. Although none of the ships I have sailed on have actually had a smart casual night I would wear a cocktail type dress for that evening.

I think the jeans look you've shown is appropriate for a ship that says in their brochure that denim is allowed in the dining room. Personally, I wouldn't wear this on a ship, as it's more of an urban look. I'd wear it at home, but not at sea. The pants are too heavy for caribbean.

Personally, I think jeans are a "downtown urban look" that looks odd on a cruise ship, to my eyes. Again, if a person can't leave the jeans at home, and their cruiseline allows them in the dining room, then this kind of look is the way to go. It definitely not the "cleaning out the garage" type of jeans, worn with a tee shirt (such as in that other thread of stupid tee shirts) that many people are picturing in their heads.

The second look is appropriate for a caribbean cruise during the daytime. It's definitely not an outfit for dinner, even on casual nights.

Since the discussion here is of what is considered "smart casual" (i.e., not "casual"), I'd have to say that personally I wouldn't think either outfit appropriate. I'd definitely wear the first out shopping or to see a movie. But not for a "smart casual" evening onboard ship.

I wouldn't wear the second at all -- maybe something my mom would wear at home in Florida!

To me, the first outfit is more appropriate. It would be even more so with heels.

I agree that the first look, IMO, is much more appropriate for the dining room.

I also agree that perhaps age is a factor - I am a 34 year old woman, and to me that second outfit is a "no" period - I don't find that "smart casual" at all.

What about these looks?

NOTDRESSY.jpg

MK-2CF3_mn.jpg

In my opinion - the first would be OK for on ship or port days if someone is so inclined, but NOT during dinner.

The second - also jeans - would work for dinner.

I agree that the first look, IMO, is much more appropriate for the dining room.

I also agree that perhaps age is a factor - I am a 34 year old woman, and to me that second outfit is a "no" period - I don't find that "smart casual" at all.

What about these looks?

NOTDRESSY.jpg

MK-2CF3_mn.jpg

In my opinion - the first would be OK for on ship or port days if someone is so inclined, but NOT during dinner.

The second - also jeans - would work for dinner.

I'm 36, BTW. I think the second look would be fabulous for dinner.

IMO, the first look is good for walking around the ship and\or port, but not for dinner.

So if you can wear trousers (or pants if you prefer) and a nice top on formal nights and pants and a nice top on a formal night what's the difference between the two? (forgive my newbie ignorance)

And secondly (cos this thread has got me a bit confused) is strapless OK for formal wear cos 2 of my dresses are strapless and I really want to wear one of them...???

Thanks

Blitz

So if you can wear trousers (or pants if you prefer) and a nice top on formal nights and pants and a nice top on a formal night what's the difference between the two? (forgive my newbie ignorance)

And secondly (cos this thread has got me a bit confused) is strapless OK for formal wear cos 2 of my dresses are strapless and I really want to wear one of them...???

Thanks

Blitz

I wore strapless both elegant nights. But, reading this thread, I guess that doesn't necessarily mean the other passengers thought it was acceptable. I say go with what you believe is the standard and enjoy the cruise. We are all on vacation at that point, right?! It's not going to ruin my vacation if someone else is wearing something that I would not.

I wore strapless both elegant nights. But, reading this thread, I guess that doesn't necessarily mean the other passengers thought it was acceptable. I say go with what you believe is the standard and enjoy the cruise. We are all on vacation at that point, right?! It's not going to ruin my vacation if someone else is wearing something that I would not.

I never would have guessed that strapless was inappropriate for formal night. I've seen several strapless dresses in formal wear shops.

I think you're getting off topic here. It's about what's appropriate onboard, not what any of us personally looks good in.

I think you hit the nail on the head. People confuse what looks good

on someone with what might be appropriate. For me, a fluffy, spongebob,

skinny jeans would not look good. So, for me a pair of nice slacks with

a nice top, is appropriate. I am in my early sixties so some of these outfits

would just be ridiculous.

For me blue denim is a casual fabric. Once I asked what makes a formal

outfit. I was told that fabric makes the difference. Why is this so different?

I think I am rambling, but denim just seems inappropriate for an elegant

dining room. Just my opinion.

I think you hit the nail on the head. People confuse what looks good

on someone with what might be appropriate. For me, a fluffy, spongebob,

skinny jeans would not look good. So, for me a pair of nice slacks with

a nice top, is appropriate. I am in my early sixties so some of these outfits

would just be ridiculous.

For me blue denim is a casual fabric. Once I asked what makes a formal

outfit. I was told that fabric makes the difference. Why is this so different?

I think I am rambling, but denim just seems inappropriate for an elegant

dining room. Just my opinion.

Except we aren't taking about formal outfits or elegant night - we are talking about "smart casual". Denim most certainly isn't formal, but either is polyster and some people wear that as formal wear. :eek:

I honestly think this is a debate that could go one forever and their is no right or wrong answer. It's a matter of opinion. If the cruise line allows jeans in the MDR, then I think - ultimately - it isn't a problem.

I never would have guessed that strapless was inappropriate for formal night. I've seen several strapless dresses in formal wear shops.

I don't think strapless is inappropriate. Has anyone ever watched The Oscars or Golden Globes?! Can't get much more formal than that - and their are LOTS of strapless gowns :)

Since the discussion here is of what is considered "smart casual" (i.e., not "casual"), I'd have to say that personally I wouldn't think either outfit appropriate. I'd definitely wear the first out shopping or to see a movie. But not for a "smart casual" evening onboard ship.

I wouldn't wear the second at all -- maybe something my mom would wear at home in Florida!

Yes, that looks like what a 70 plus year old woman would wear for casual daytime,it is not dinner wear. (except Cracker Barrel and Bob Evans) I am 55 and I am not ready for that "look" yet. I think women who are younger find this look unflattering, simply because it ages them. They are too young to be wearing it.

I just make it simple on me. I wear a dress every night to dinner. Doesn't matter what the dinner "style" is that night.

Besides, I don't want to pack jeans/pants and a top. Takes up much more room than a dress.

Especially on premium mainstream lines such as Celebrity and HAL, I do that. Most of my pants are casual khaki, docker type pants, and I feel they are not dressy enough for dinner.

Yes, that looks like what a 70 plus year old woman would wear for casual daytime,it is not dinner wear. (except Cracker Barrel and Bob Evans) I am 55 and I am not ready for that "look" yet. I think women who are younger find this look unflattering, simply because it ages them. They are too young to be wearing it.

Ahem, I am in the "over-70 group" and wouldn't be caught dead in that outfit. We just got back from a Regent cruise that was casual elegant every night and I wore silk pants and dressy tops, a long linen dress, a black cocktail dress, white pants and dressy tops....you get the idea. By the way, the only jeans we ever saw (and there were several 40-50 year olds on) were on deck. Never in the dining room.

I disagree. While I am not fond of either outfit, and would not wear either, I think the second outfit (not the jeans) is proper CASUAL dress for the dining room, though certainly NOT ELEGANT CASUAL.

You chose to show the jeans outfit worn by a younger, slimmer model, maybe to demonstrate that it is perhaps more "in fashion," and that might sway some who think you can't be too rich, too thin or too young. :rolleyes:

I find it very boring to see denim everywhere so I don't buy jeans. I especially hate the copycat look of pencil-thin jeans and stillettos.

I hope the look stays out of the dining room, especially at dinner time.

I disagree. While I am not fond of either outfit, and would not wear either, I think the second outfit (not the jeans) is proper CASUAL dress for the dining room, though certainly NOT ELEGANT CASUAL.

You chose to show the jeans outfit worn by a younger, slimmer model, maybe to demonstrate that it is perhaps more "in fashion," and that might sway some who think you can't be too rich, too thin or too young. :rolleyes:

I find it very boring to see denim everywhere so I don't buy jeans. I especially hate the copycat look of pencil-thin jeans and stillettos.

I hope the look stays out of the dining room, especially at dinner time.

I agree that neither outfit is elegant casual, but I think the jeans outfit could work for SMART casual. IMO, the two dress codes are different. I agree that ELEGANT casual should not include jeans.

Yes the model looks great in that outfit, but there are certainly variations of that outfit that could work for many body types. I am no where near thin, so I could not wear that top with skinny jeans. I'd have to look for something with a sleeve and be less form fitting.

IMO, you can never be too rich. ;)

I think the jeans look you've shown is appropriate for a ship that says in their brochure that denim is allowed in the dining room. Personally, I wouldn't wear this on a ship, as it's more of an urban look. I'd wear it at home, but not at sea. The pants are too heavy for caribbean.

Personally, I think jeans are a "downtown urban look" that looks odd on a cruise ship, to my eyes.

I'm interested in what you said here... that in your eyes there is a certain "look" that is appropriate for a cruise ship. I'm somewhat new to cruising vacations -- have been on four, and the first one was so many years ago that I don't really count it, so really, have been on three cruises. You seem very knowledgeable about all things fashion... if you have time, I would love to hear your thoughts on what this cruise ship look is! I'm just curious to know. And I hope I'm not taking this thread too off-topic -- let me know if I am...

I don't own a pair of jeans and even if I did, I would only wear them horseriding...sorry jean-lovers, just my opinion. In my books they aren't an item for smart casual dining on a cruise ship.

No need to be sorry. When I was in high school, I only wore jeans on Fridays. I thought they weren't dressy enough.

Premium denim boom, I have gone crazy! Just ordered another pair of jeans an hour ago, LOL.

I RARELY wear jeans when I ride. Go figure!

Archived