First Upsell call and NOT a good deal!

Vyhanek

I just got my first upsell call ever. After more than 10 NCL cruises.

They were offering an upsell from an A3 to a GV for an additional $8900. I know it's the Garden Villa but doesn't that sound like a crazy amount of money? She wasn't able to negotiate either.

They were offering an upsell from an A3 to a GV for an additional $8900. I know it's the Garden Villa but doesn't that sound like a crazy amount of money? She wasn't able to negotiate either.

Depends on the price paid for your A3 and the going price for the GV I suppose to understand whether there was a significant savings. The length of the cruise would obviously play a role as well. I don't think it's a crazy amount of money. If you had 5 scheduled for the A3, that's less than $2000 more per person for the ultimate cabin of any cruise line in the world.

You're already in the top ranks of cabin types; keep in mind that this type of upsell is pretty huge...the GV is probably similar in size to 8 of the A3 cabins. On a square foot basis, I'd imagine the GV is significantly less expensive. That's how I justified it when we did the GV anyway. :)

Better luck next time though.

Not sure how anyone can say spending $8,900 more for the same cruise, with same meal options, etc is a good deal. Sure, it is a good deal compared to the original price, but not everyone has that kind of money to throw around.

If they had multiple cabins they could combine into the GV, then it might make sense, but in the end, ya gotta have lots of money to throw around. After all the A3 was already a very expensive purchase.

Not saying NCL did not offer a reasonable deal, just that the GV is so darn expensive.

Not sure how anyone can say spending $8,900 more for the same cruise, with same meal options, etc is a good deal. Sure, it is a good deal compared to the original price, but not everyone has that kind of money to throw around.

If they had multiple cabins they could combine into the GV, then it might make sense, but in the end, ya gotta have lots of money to throw around. After all the A3 was already a very expensive purchase.

Not saying NCL did not offer a reasonable deal, just that the GV is so darn expensive.

I agree, I think it is a good deal, I just can't imagine spending that kind of money..I guess there are some who can still afford the best of the best regardless of the economy..

Nita LOL

It is a typical upsell...50% of difference between cabin categories approx.

I got the call to a GV from a mini suite for $5000 more and I turned it down. I counter offered and they never called me back.

This was 2 weeks before sail date and they had 3 GV left.

No NCL ship has 3 GV's on it?????????????????

Big difference between GV and CV.

No NCL ship has 3 GV's on it?????????????????

Big difference between GV and CV.

Yes, I was wondering that myself. Maybe the terms were mixed up?

GV is Garden Villa - has three real bedrooms and massive living room that overlooks the main ships pool.

CV is a Courtyard Villa. These are either an A3 or A4. One has the extra sall bedroom with it, other does not.

From what I read and my own experiences ,upsells are a very good price in comparison to what the originally price was. The problem is as everyone has stated the GV is an originally priced cabin of $20,000 and up. My sailing in 2 weeks has come down from 11,999 to 9,999 pp. Both are still open. Even with what I paid for my A3 it would be a big upsell. I LOVE the A3 and so will you. Have a great cruise!

Everything is relative. How many are in your existing party? You would be going from a suite with 1 good bedroom and one tiny bedroom to 3 large bedrooms (one with a magnificent bath). You would be going from a small living and dining room to a huge one. And going from a teensy balcony to a large private outdoor space with hot tub.

If more people could join in on the GV to split the price, that could make a difference.

You might not think it is a good deal, but some might. I know I would consider it!

Has anyone ever gotten to the terminal to check in and they upgrade you for free? We had that happen on RCCL 4 years ago. Not that we need an upgrade but wondering. We are in an AB already and like it.

This is the rarest form of upgrade. I have read of this happening less than a handful of times here on CC and that is after years of reading the boards. There are people who get to the stateroom they paid for and some disaster is awaiting them (broken pipes, etc) and they don't usually even get to upgrade. I would guess a good 90% or more of NCL ships sail fully sold and on those there is an extremely small chance of getting any offer of upgrade, free or otherwise, at the terminal. It does happen, mind you, but just VERY rarely.

This is the rarest form of upgrade. I have read of this happening less than a handful of times here on CC and that is after years of reading the boards. There are people who get to the stateroom they paid for and some disaster is awaiting them (broken pipes, etc) and they don't usually even get to upgrade. I would guess a good 90% or more of NCL ships sail fully sold and on those there is an extremely small chance of getting any offer of upgrade, free or otherwise, at the terminal. It does happen, mind you, but just VERY rarely.

I've had it happen to me twice on NCL...Once on the Wind and once on the Sea

I've had it happen to me twice on NCL...Once on the Wind and once on the Sea

Well, tell us what you had booked and what they moved you to both times, in 2001 and 2003!! Did they tell you why? Thanks

I'm wondering when NCL started upsells. Anyone know? Maybe before they had upsells they had upgrades.

Familyof4cruising, I see you have a Timeshare FLL 3/27/10 Easter - is that a timeshare cruise?

I wish! :D I am actually regretting not cruising that week.;) I never knew there were timeshares. I have heard of buying into a cruise like an condo.

Maybe when I retire...;) Speaking of retiring it reminds me of an email I received a long time ago. I am sure plenty have seen it, but for those that haven't:

NURSING HOME VS. CRUISE SHIP

There Will Be No Nursing Home in My Future

When I get old and feeble, I am going to get on an

NCL Cruise Ship. The average cost for a

nursing home is $200 per day. I have checked

on reservations at NCL and I can get a long

term discount and Senior discount price of $135

per day. That leaves $65 a day for:

1. Gratuities which will only be $12 per day.

2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I

can waddle to the restaurant, or I can have

room service (which means I can have

breakfast in bed every day of the week).

3. NCL has as many as three swimming

pools, a workout room, free washers and

dryers, and shows every night.

4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and

free soap and shampoo.

5. They will even treat you like a customer, not

a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have

the entire staff scrambling to help you.

6. I will get to meet new people every 7 or 14 days.

7. TV broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to

have the mattress replaced? No problem! They

will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience.

8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't even

have to ask for them.

9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip you are

on Medicare. If you fall and break a hip on the NCL

ship they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your

life.

10. Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South

America,

the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, \

or name where you want to go? NCL will have a ship

ready to go.

So don't look for me in a nursing home, just call shore-to-ship.

P.S. And don't forget, when you die, they just dump you over the side at no extra charge!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious. When was your sailing and how far out in advance did they call you? Thanks!

I asked because I'm 12 days out from my sailing and the A1 is still available. We currently have 4 of us in an A3 and 2 in a K. It would be nice for all six of us to be together.

You can call the upsell desk and ask. The problem though, you may have difficulty combining the 2 different reservations. Not sure if they would allow the payments from the 2 people in the K, to go towards the A1. Thus, you might just have to "eat" those payments.

Archived