How does the Kid camp work?

amynorth

Our first cruise will be in May. My 4 year old son will be with us and I plan on using the camp. I am curious of how they work?

• How secure is it?
  • How many kids per councelor?
  • Do they ever leave the area for swimming/eating?
  • What is their system for identifying what kid belongs with what parent?
  • How do they contact you in an emergency?

Gosh I know that's lots, but I have never left my kid unattended like this before other than church or daycare and they know me very well at these places...

Thanks for your time!

It's very secure...and the counselors are trained in childcare....don't know how many, but your child will be entertained and quite safe.

don't know what cruiseline you're on, but kids under a certain age are NOT allowed to leave without the parent...or whoever is allowed to sign them in and out....and that's up to you as to who you'll let do that.

For small kids, they generally give you a pager of some sort, to call you if you're needed.

Don't worry---no child has ever been "taken" by anyone that wasn't supposed to take them!

It would be useful to know what line you are sailing, but in general the kids programs are very secure particularly at the lower age groups (such as those for your son).

Each line has minimum standards for their counselors such as a 4-yr degree in a child related discipline and so many years experience working with children (camp counselor, teaching, etc.).

Most lines separate the kids into age groups, with the counselor to child ration changing by age group. They will also "juggle" staffing to accommodate the needs of a particular cruise's demographics.

You will complete paperwork indicating who is authorized to drop-off and pick-up. At your son's age group, you will not even be given an option to allow him to sign himself out. The first couple of times for pickup they will request ID (your ship's card) as they get to know you, they may stop asking. Anyone traveling with you who is not on your "list" of authorized people, will NOT be able to check your son out.

Different lines have different amenities and activities-- on some lines the kids clubs will have activities that take them to different venues. In some cases -- like ice skating on RCCI -- you will drop-off and pick-up at the venue. In other cases -- X "hot glass show" for example -- the kids will come from the kids clubs accompanied by the counselors. On some lines, the policy is that the programming does not leave the kids clubs.

The policy to notify you in case of emergency varies from line to line, and from age group to age group within some lines.

Carnival's system is very secure. No adult other than staff is allowed into the room. If the child is5 or under, you will be given a pager. Thisworks only on the ship. They also ask where you will be. No swimming. If your child is left on a day when they take them to lunch then they will take them to lunch. I am assuming your child is 5 or younger for all of the above. On board you have your room key which is also your ID. Only ppl you designate at registration can pick your child up.

Carnival is great. There are separate areas for each age group 2-5, 6-8, 9-11, 12-14 and 15-17. The younger two groups much be checked in/out by parents/authorized persons. Usually, you get a phone or pager for the youngest group so they can conact you, though the Glory let us pass on it last time as it was my DS (5) 4th cruise. The 9-11 can have sign in/out privileges (if granted, but necessary for some acivities such as scavenger hunts); only this group and up will go to the pool.

Camp times for 2-, 6-8 and 9-11 on sea days is 9-12, 2-5, 6 (dinner on the Lido) and 7-10. The older kids generally only have activities in the afternoon and evening, as most are sleeping in anyway! After 10 is babysitting for a modest fee. They will have sleep-over parties that go some nights as late as 3 am, and they will bring the kids back to you in the room.

The activities are all age appropriate. They have ExcerSeas, ABSeas (story time), art projects, games, free play, face painting, playdough, time with Freddy, movies...you get the idea.

You can register the kids on line in advance. When we first board the ship, right after lunch, we often head to camp to take care of the paperwork, so we can skip orientation - once is enough to get the idea, so if this is a first cruise, you might want to check it out.

My children started cruising at just shy of 3 and 9, and both have loved every minute of it.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Archived