Hope you don't need Medical attn on Summit

lcmslady

We were recently on the Summit (1/16-1/23) and had a not-so-great experience with their medical facility.

My BIL broke his feet (don't ask how - long story). The medical office took x-rays, thought they were both broken, put him in a wheelchair, told him to elevate and ice and that they would make arrangements for him to be seen at the next port (Antigua). We went to medical the next morning (8:30-ish) and were told that an ambulance was on the way. Around 11:30-ish, I finally got disgusted with getting the run-around and walked out to the gate and asked to speak to someone from port authority. Someone showed up and announced that they were the one to decide if an ambulance was needed or not. Walked back to the ship with this guy who pronounced that an ambulance was needed - about 15 minutes later,when we still didn't have an ETA on the ambulance, we put the BIL and sister in a taxi and sent them to the hospital.

I then spent the rest of the afternoon trying to figure out if the ship would leave without them.

They made it back to the ship in time but it didn't stop there. We tried to get medical to fax the records back to the states so that wheelchair could be ordered and care coordinated for their return. No luck.

My sister finally ended up sitting down with the hotel manager and guest relations manager to force medical to get the records back to the states.

Thank God for travel insurance - once they were notified and had the records that they needed, they bent over backwards to coordinate his transportation once we left the ship.

Lessons learned:

1. Always have travel insurance.

2. Don't break anything on vacation :p.

3. Be persistent until you get what you need.

Sorry this happened to your BIL. Lucky for your family cruise insurance was purchased. This is a good example for people to purchase cruise insurance because accidents unfortunately happens. Lucky for BIL that your sister was proactive and getting things handled.

Sorry to hear about the logistical snafu.

That being said, I hate to be 'that guy' but I think we are all wondering...how did your brother-in-law break his feet?

You asked for the story, so here's the abbreviated version:

BIL and both my sisters were on a catamaran excursion at St. Kitts. The boat pulled up to the beach on Nevvus (sp?). The crew jumped off the cat - guests started going down the ladder.

BIL announces to his wife that he's going to jump off. About the time she got the words 'No' out of her mouth, it was all over.

He jumped onto wet sand (which is like concrete) and broke both heels - 1 is pretty much shattered and the other just fractured. Idiot stunt - no doubt!

Everyone is right that it all worked out but if the ship's medical staff had been more pro-active, it would have saved all of us a lot of stress wondering if he would make it back to the ship in time.

We had a totally different experience on the Mercury. My wife fell and broke her hip on the first sea day. The Medical Center kept her there from Tuesday night until Friday morning when we docked in St Thomas. The care was excellent and an ambulance was waiting at the dock in St Thomas to transfer her to the Roy Schneider hospital. She was operated on there and the Insurance purchased through Celebrity made all arrangements for her return to Lancaster Pa.

Definitely purchase Insurance. Even if it's only through the Cruise Line, having the return arrangements made for you is well worth the cost. BTW, I believe the Medical Center is a contracted operation, just like the shops, internet etc. I must also add that

the Customer Relations Desk on the Mercury was fabulous, extending unlimited phone calls and use of their email to us while we were on the ship. My wife of course was confined to the Medical Center and received the best of care.

Cindy,

We were with you on the cruise and were walking back to the ship when Roger was being rolled off in the wheelchair. We overheard a comment from the ship's officer about a "miscommunication". That's some kind of a huge miscommunication!

I broke an ankle skiing at age 10 and the dingbat ski patrol told me it was a sprain and to walk on it to lessen the swelling. Three days later we were in emergency. Those are NOT nice injuries and can be unbelievably painful. I'm so sorry all of you - especially Roger - had to go through that. Thanks for the update and the reminder to be diligent and proactive!!!

I'm very sorry for your BIL's experience. We had a completely opposite experience in the Summit a couple of years ago on our transcanal cruise. On the second night my BIL who has a heart condition totally passed out while eating at the Specialty Restaurant. Within minutes a nurse from the medical facility was at his side. He was transported to the medical facility where we were extremely impressed with his care and the equipment in the facility. He was there for almost 24 hours and then received follow up care throughout the cruise. He had travel insurance and was completely reimbursed upon his return. I personally also had a real good experience in the Galaxy on our Med cruise with their medical facility and was also totally reimbursed by travel insurance. Perhaps it's different when it involves broken bones or requirement of outside care. Hope BIL is healing fast!

You asked for the story, so here's the abbreviated version:

BIL and both my sisters were on a catamaran excursion at St. Kitts. The boat pulled up to the beach on Nevvus (sp?). The crew jumped off the cat - guests started going down the ladder.

BIL announces to his wife that he's going to jump off. About the time she got the words 'No' out of her mouth, it was all over.

He jumped onto wet sand (which is like concrete) and broke both heels - 1 is pretty much shattered and the other just fractured. Idiot stunt - no doubt!

Everyone is right that it all worked out but if the ship's medical staff had been more pro-active, it would have saved all of us a lot of stress wondering if he would make it back to the ship in time.

No offense - LOL...

I like your writing style... Your poor BIL (what did 'sis see in him?) what a bummer...

But - I too (like Longboysfan) am a little surprised he was allowed on... and off and on... with multiple fractures like that. Sorry the Med Staff and Antiguans weren't well coordinated.

While the situation as it developed was deplorable, one factor that may have contributed to the confusion is that, in each port, Celebrity is represented by an agent. It is my understanding that they are the ones who call the shots. So, a lot of what happened was really out of the hands of the medical staff or other shipboard staff.

There is no justification for them stonewalling on the records.

Hope your BIL heels (pun intended) quickly and fully.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

A couple years ago on a world cruise we had a friend who broke a leg fairly early on-

he was transported to hospital at the next port, it was set and he continued on with the cruise to the end. I guess it depends on what kind of medical emergency it is ...

While the situation as it developed was deplorable, one factor that may have contributed to the confusion is that, in each port, Celebrity is represented by an agent. It is my understanding that they are the ones who call the shots. So, a lot of what happened was really out of the hands of the medical staff or other shipboard staff.

There is no justification for them stonewalling on the records.

Hope your BIL heels (pun intended) quickly and fully.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

wvufan,

I think your statement about the Celebrity agent calling the shots is probably right. If I had known that - I would have gotten off the ship much sooner than I did instead of waiting 3 hours......I guess I should add that to the lessons learned category!

Archived