Passport Help! SOS!

khowe

ZGOL,

Thanks for the kind words...I know things have changed since 9/11 and I am grateful for the heightened effort to keep the bad guys out, but that's part of my frustration I guess...

Not to get into a big discussion, but it seems like nearly anyone can get by security these days; reporters, undercover TSA agents, shoe bomb wearers and even a guy with explosives in his underwear.

I just want to go on a long overdue vacation with my family.

**jumping off my soapbox now.

ZGOL,

Thanks for the kind words...I know things have changed since 9/11 and I am grateful for the heightened effort to keep the bad guys out, but that's part of my frustration I guess...

Not to get into a big discussion, but it seems like nearly anyone can get by security these days; reporters, undercover TSA agents, shoe bomb wearers and even a guy with explosives in his underwear.

I just want to go on a long overdue vacation with my family.

**jumping off my soapbox now.

Good luck... All those people can get past security... but normal people (including an 8y/o) is on a no fly list because he shares the name of some adult...

Hope you get to go.

We actually had a little movement yesterday! My Constituent Advocate as lined up his Washington Liaison to do the legwork on this.

Another intersting thing I found was that the WHTI Land and Sea FAQs say numerous things that are very encouraging. I am speaking with a representative of the US Customs and Border Protection unit today.

I am continuing with my plans to travel and with the hopes that this will be worked out in time for my departure.

Thank you all again!

• 11 months later...
I don't want to seem like the bad guy here but bugging a senator every other day? I would think they have more important stuff to do than to worry about someone who failed to plan ahead.

The Senator? Yes. His staff of little college interns who have nothing better to do than walk this particular situation through the various hoops it needs to go through? No.

Once you get your certain of birth abroad you can make an appointment at your closest passport office if you are traveling in less than two weeks, they will do a same day passport issuance. We almost had to do this after my daughter (also born in england) had her passport that was supposed to be expedited got delayed. Luckily it arrived 4 days before she left for Germany at Christmas. Good luck!

We all have our passports because I am paranoid. I was the only one of 5 children born on the states. All the others were born in Germany where my dad was stationed at various times. I know my sister had a hell of a time with her German birth certificate getting a passport too. You are a US citizen, correct? If it is a close ended cruise (begins and ends in the US), then my understanding is that you do not need a passport, only proof of citizenship.

The problem here is....the only forms of ID accepted is a passport or original birth cert or state issued copy..which she has sent to the passport agency with her application.

And, unfortunately, her insurance will not reimburse her is she can't go... It is only good for accident, sickness or death.... Not having the right documents isn't one of the reimbursable conditions.

You can't use a foreign birth certificate - if your parents were US citizens and you were born abroad they had to fill out a Consular report of birth abroad. (think it's a FS-240?) THAT is what you need to get your passport. It would also work at the port probably. The canal might be different, but I'm not so sure.

You are right. However, for military personnel, it's a little different. They have their own form issued by the military...hence the missing Panama certificate of birth.... The certificate isn't a "foreign" one...it is a military one issued to military personnel whose children were born while they were on active duty in a foreign country.

Children born of American parents anywhere...are American citizens by birth.

I was also born overseas and had no problem getting a passport (albeit many years ago).

To the OP - Did your parents have to add you to their passport when you came back to the states? I was added to my mother's passport for travel back to the states. Having the expired passport in which I was added along with my birth certificates (Zambian and Consulate issued - my father registered me a few days after I was born) was enough for me.

When in a pinch, many people in our area fo to a Federal building in NYC. They issue passports on the spot (at least they used to) - if you are willing to wait on lines longer than..... and have all the documentation.

I have had a passport of my own since I was a teen. I never let it expire. It is my most valuable form of ID.

I submitted an expedited request for a passport on Jan 5. Booked my very first cruise ever on the Glory departing 2/21/10.

I was born in Panama as my dad was in the military and stationed there.

I knew I needed a little extra documentation to prove citizenship (having a social security number, paying taxes and working for the past 38 years should account for something) so I gave the passport agent my birth certificate, my baptismal certificate, both of my parents' birth certificates AND their marriage license.

Well, guess what? The day before my 3 weeks expedited time frame was due to expire, the passport people say my birth certificate doesn't count as it is not a "special long-form, Canal Zone certificate) :(:(

I was told I needed to contact the vital records agency in DC and the average turn around time is 4-8 weeks.

I have sent in the request with the fees for the copy and a pre paid return FedEx envelope along with a heartfelt plea for a "special consideration" in hopes to get the birth certificate in time for the cruise as I know that I can use the birth cert and my DL to board.

I have contacted both of my state senators for assistance in expediting my request and have done a ton of praying.

I know everyone knows "someone in that dept" or has a special connection somewhere and I was hoping that one of the veteran and helpful, compassionate members of this board might be that person.

Advice? Tips? I am just sick with stress as this will be my first vacation in 9 years and my very first cruise. I was only able to secure that one week off of work due to staffing constraints on my department.

I have insurance and am not worried about re-couping my payments, but I really need to go on this vacation. I forgot to mention that the entire family is booked as well and they shouldn't have to cancel because of me.

I apologize for the length of this post, but as you can tell, I am grasping for anything right now.

Sincerely,

Kiki

Kiki

I was good you contacted your senators, but you will probably have better luck and get more assistance by asking your US Representative. Those guys have staffs that can work wonders!

Archived