Diasappointed with NCL Part 2

rs12065

In 2007, Rosie on her television show was actively hyping a charter cruise day in and day out that was going to go the New England route. At the same time, NCL was selling cabins for Bermuda for that date.

I'm sure Rosie had a "hold" on the charter to see if she could fill it. NCL was hedging their bets by taking reservations for the same time in case Rosie didn't come through. Mind you, she had chartered a cruise for two or three years before so the odds were good she would come through.

Were they telling their potential passengers that the ship was tentatively chartered out? No. To me, that is not right. NCL is sitting on a lot of bucks until things get sorted out. Many people were probably disappointed and out of luck when Rosie's cruise came to be. Vacations are scheduled a year ahead of time and not easy for everyone to change on six months or less notice.

Tucker in Texas

I used to think this way too WINK but I have found that my TA gets me better prices then even NCL direct's cheapest fare and often with on board credit as well. Also without my TA we would never have gotten an upsell for our cruise next week. So that really can work both ways.

Oh, I don't doubt fares can be less expensive with a TA, sometimes. But I still like handling my reservation, and am willing to spend a few dollars more for it.

I'm kind of a control freak.. at least that's what DH says. LOL

I can't believe they would limit your credit to only that ship!:eek:

You need to go up the chain I would think to find someone who actually might care about the people who sail with them (and may or may not return).

Good luck with whatever cruise you take.

I agree with MrLee. Something doesn't sound right.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I too, would be pretty turned off. I don't blame you for being adamant about not sailing NCL again. BUT, what I would do is write them a letter, send it to their corporate office explaining everything. They do read their mail and you will get a response.

In 2007, Rosie on her television show was actively hyping a charter cruise day in and day out that was going to go the New England route. At the same time, NCL was selling cabins for Bermuda for that date.

I'm sure Rosie had a "hold" on the charter to see if she could fill it. NCL was hedging their bets by taking reservations for the same time in case Rosie didn't come through. Mind you, she had chartered a cruise for two or three years before so the odds were good she would come through.

Were they telling their potential passengers that the ship was tentatively chartered out? No. To me, that is not right. NCL is sitting on a lot of bucks until things get sorted out. Many people were probably disappointed and out of luck when Rosie's cruise came to be. Vacations are scheduled a year ahead of time and not easy for everyone to change on six months or less notice.

Tucker in Texas

This does suck, but keep in mind any cruise line would do the same as well as any hotel or airline.

This is just the way business works. This is NOT just an NCL issue.

Tucker in Texas

That happened to us and the Rosie group for the Dawn in 2004. We had enough with the runarounds, and just booked another line.

Any idea as to why these cruises are being cancelled?? Thats horrible!!

The cruises weren't cancelled, they were chartered by the Women of Olivia so since they're such a large group, folks already booked were cancelled. I understand that it's a group of 2000 or so doing those 2 dates as a b2b.

I'm on the 10/16 and on the internet there's a men's Gay Pride group advertising for that one, but I think it's a much smaller group so I don't think current reservations will be cancelled. I just hope there's no PDA.

The cruises weren't cancelled, they were chartered by the Women of Olivia so since they're such a large group, folks already booked were cancelled.
I think it's less of a case of it being a large group, and more that Olivia makes a positive point of only doing full-ship charters, for reasons which are not difficult to understand.

Olivia isn't (yet?) advertising the 23 October week, although I see from the NCL website that it's been taken off sale there.

The cruises weren't cancelled, they were chartered by the Women of Olivia so since they're such a large group, folks already booked were cancelled. I understand that it's a group of 2000 or so doing those 2 dates as a b2b.

I'm on the 10/16 and on the internet there's a men's Gay Pride group advertising for that one, but I think it's a much smaller group so I don't think current reservations will be cancelled. I just hope there's no PDA.

ROFLMAO -- 2000 lesbians and/or gay men on a cruise ship and you hope there is no PDA? Do you expect that if there are 2000 straight people on board? IF PDA bothers you I will suggest you jump ship now

Public Display of Affection. ;)

JINX! You owe me a coke!!

<start hijack>

Join me on the jewel leaving next Sunday and I will buy you one :)

<end hijack>

And now back to our regularly scheduled program...LOL

We booked HAL Westerdam for Thanksgiving week 2008 about 9 months in advance and the same thing happed to us. I was on cruise critic and found out that Olivia was booking the ship for a charter that same week. Some people on CC had been notified but others had not, us being one of the have nots. Finally, we got the call that our cruise was cancelled. We were given several options and ultimately we decided to go on the new Eurodam with a less than desirable itenerary. That cruise was several hundred dollars more but they gave it to us at the same price as the original cruise, plus they gave us $100.00 each OBC. We were very disapointed because we really had our hearts set on the Westerdam cruise with the ship going to Aruba on a 7 day cruise. However, we had a really nice time on the Eurodam and think that the OBC and reduced rate was nice compensation. I think that more and more cruise lines are doing the charter group cruises and unfortunately the people who plan early are getting these disapointing calls.

Archived