Beware of cave tubing for older folks

heffa72

I should have posted this a year or so ago right after we went but I forgot. Now that I'm about to plan another tubing trip (in Ocho Rios), it brough back memories.

I just wanted to forewarn anyone doing this tour that you should be prepared for a pretty decent hike (carrying your tube) and very shallow water (not sure if that is the case only in certain seasons - we went in March). We went with my mother (67 at the time) and it was pretty strenuous on her. She's not really in shape (average weight, but doesn't really exercise much). Anyway she was struggling by the end of the hike (was really hot too). Also when we got in the water, you have to hold your butt up a bit so it doesn't drag on the rocks in the very shallow water (several spots where the water is VERY shallow). She was tired from doing that by the end (put a lot of strain on her neck from being so tense). And the tour was pretty crowded (other tours groups with us) so we were all on top of each other in many places (at least 40 people floating around you many times).

The tube ride was a long time...at least an hour so as you can imagine, it got old quickly for those who were struggling or in pain. My arms were a bit chaffed at the end from rubbing against the tub while rowing with my hands.

By the way, the van/car ride out to the tubing is a bit long too.

All in all, I was happy I did it once, but won't do it again. I felt a lot of the trip was a bummer because I was worried about my mom and her being uncomfortable (although she was a trooper and never really complained) and another family member who was not enjoying himeself much either.

I just want to warn those who are out of shape or who don't like to do much physical activity to think twice before going on this tour.

Forgive my subject line. I shouldn't stereo-typed "older folks" as being out of shape. I really should have said anyone who's perhaps not too physically fit.

For the record, I know many seniors who are in great shape (better than myself). So sorry about that. Just reread that and thought it sounded awful.

My arms were a bit chaffed at the end from rubbing against the tub while rowing with my hands.

This happened to me when we did the tubing (back in 2004). i actually had bruises from all of the paddling.

I've noticed most of the photos I've seen lately that everyone is linked up together. Do the guides help "pull" you through the caves now? I can't imagine trying to paddle when you are connected to a long line of other folks in tubes.

Since cave tubing and other excursions are usually handled by private operators, you show really look closely at their websites and pictures. Also keep in mind that if the excursion indicates a degree of fitness is needed, don't assume that that means just being able to walk from the closest parking spot to the mall entrance before having to stop and sit down. They all assume a level of physical fitness that is at least being able to navigate several flights of stairs and walk a mile or more comfortably. You may not do all that but that's probably a good guide line. And if you are doing these activities as a group, that should be the standard for the least fit person in the group.

As much fun as these activities may sound, they will not be fun if you can't do them.

A 45-minute walk is two miles.....with an innertube.....in 85 degree temperatures and the same humidity. Not my idea of fun!
I feel the same way about golfing, poker, xmas shopping, rollerskating and gymnastics. For me it is a waste of good time, but if that is what you like, then more power to ya. I would go cavetubing again in a heartbeat.

We have done this tour three times, we used private operators, so there was no more than 12 in our group, plus the operator used 2 or 3 guides. We could take as much time as we needed. Reggie's website is temporarily down http://www.regtour.com, but Coral Breezes website is still working http://www.coralbreezetours.com/tours.html?iadv=1 .

The oldest people in our group was in their 60's, and another one weighed 330 lbs. This was not the easiest excursion, but we enjoyed it enough to do it again.

There are a few tricks, when you are paddling, it is easier of you are paddling backwards rather than forwards. Pay attention to where you are going when you enter the caves, do not allow the current to swirl you towards the walls of the caves, there isn't much current there, so you have to do all the paddling to pull yourself away from the walls of the cave. They have a dry season and a rainy season. During the dry season, your bottom will drag the ground in shallow places. It may be best to stand up and walk a few yards until the water is deeper. During the rainy season, the current is stronger.

Archived