Surprised.....

disneypapa

that HAL would charge as much for a round trip out of Vancouver in July as a southbound from Whittier on Princess also in July. Has that been your experiences with pricing? I would have thought that roundtrip out of Vancouver would be less expensive.

I'm confused:confused:. Why would you think a round trip (basically 2 cruises) be cheaper then a one way (1 cruise). I must be missing something.

The OP is referring to a 7 day cruise embarking and disembarking in Vancouver, not a back-to-back Vancouver to Seward back to Vancouver.

Disneypapa,

By way of explanation of my comment above, and agreement with Yukon, in order to see the distances involved I suggest you go to Google Maps and locate Juneau. Then zoom out a little bit and you will see that nearly all of the main ports of call, for either O/W or R/T are in the same area which the ships focus on. Then zoom out a bit further to the 200 m scale and see how far Juneau is from Vancouver and then from South Central Alaska. If anything the return trip to Vancouver appears to involve a longer distance than to either Seward or Whittier.

It also is based on supply and demand. There aren't a lot of round trip Vancouver sailings, so prices can be up. With one ways, there are many ships sailing. They involve, most of the time, more costly flights.

I've gotten low prices on all the routes, keep checking and comparing rates.

From reading CC, I was under the impression that one way - Southbound (in particular) was more popular & desirable and would dictate a higher premium.

The quotes I'm seeing are $1,000 for interior cabins & $1,700 for outside in July with either Princess or HAL. Is that the going rate or do I need to keep looking?

You can keep looking and hope you will find a deal but, for the time frame you are talking about, prices are going to be at their highest and the most popular routes will cost the most. It really is a case of supply and demand.:)

Archived