Walking from cemetery beach to Hell

tbdb2

Hi. I was planning on taking the bus or taxi to cemetery beach for some beach and snorkel time. Afterwards go to hell. Anyone know the cost of a taxi for 4 people to cemetery beach? Is it possible to walk to Hell from cemetery beach? From google maps it appears to be only 1.2 miles.

I would take a cab from Cemetary to Hell. You will be walking along the side of the road where alot of tour vans are whizzing by. The cab ride will not be that expensive especially if you all 4 share the cost. We were on the island last year for 10 days and drove alot and I wouldn't want to walk from Cemetary to Hell, it is safe though. Get a cab to Hell and then have them drop you at the beach after. Hope you have a great time.

We were in Grand Cayman in October and visited Hell and Cemetary Beach. We could not have walked between the two. Hell is a pretty good distance and inland from the beach. We took the "bus" from the port to Hell and then caught the "bus" again from Hell to Cemetary Beach. And once again, caught the "bus" from Cemetary Beach back to the port. We paid $3.00 per person (this includes a tip for the driver) each time we boarded the buses. It was a great way to get around and will do it again next we are there.

Can you catch these busses at the port? I'm trying to do some research for my son who goes in a few weeks. He will be on NCL Dawn, so I'm not sure if all ships port in the same area.

The public bus depot is very close to the port but do not stop directly at the terminals. The depot is on North Church Street just past the yellow Waterfront Centre building. Regardless of which terminal the tender uses, turn right as you exit (the sea will be on your left) and take a short walk to the public bus depot.

Thank you for the quick response! Do you know if he can he pick up a bus schedule there as well? Like which beaches/places it stops at and what time they drop off/deliver? or if there is one on-line that would help as well.

Bus schedule??? What's that?

Uh... local buses only loosely hold to a route. Exact routes may vary according to the whims of the driver and/or requests of the passengers. Diversions are usually available for an extra fare of CI$1.

There is no timetable. In certain parts of the island a bus may not pass for a few hours only to be followed by three within 15 minutes.

Buses in Cayman are "public buses" only in as much as they serve the general public. They are privately owned enterprises and the drivers are licensed by the government.

Bus schedule??? What's that?

Uh... local buses only loosely hold to a route. Exact routes may vary according to the whims of the driver and/or requests of the passengers. Diversions are usually available for an extra fare of CI$1.

There is no timetable. In certain parts of the island a bus may not pass for a few hours only to be followed by three within 15 minutes.

Buses in Cayman are "public buses" only in as much as they serve the general public. They are privately owned enterprises and the drivers are licensed by the government.

Wow, that's very interesting that there is no bus schedule...kinda scarey if you need to get back to the ship, but hopefully cabs are easily available, if a bus doesn't show up. Are there at least bus stop signs? How would they know where to wait? Besides where they got dropped off at, but if they wandered off down the beach to explore. Sorry but I'm just trying to cover all baseses as a worried mom, letting her college boy off on a cruise on his own with friends. Also, I do have one more question, seeing you are so knowledgeable to Grand Cayman...obviously you live there, LUCKY YOU!! Unfortunately Grand Cayman is one of many, Caribbean islands I haven't been to yet.....we were scheduled to go there a few years ago, but a hurricane was in the vicinity and our ship had to reschedule its ports. Anyway, are there any walkable beaches from the pier? Even if its up to a mile or 2. They're college boys so I think they can handle the walk.

...Are there at least bus stop signs?

Huh? What's that?

Seriously, generally no. There are a very, very few scattered official looking bus stops around the island. They were installed by the local Rotary Club.

... How would they know where to wait? Besides where they got dropped off at, but if they wandered off down the beach to explore.
Get dropped off anywhere. Flag down a bus for the return anywhere.

... Anyway, are there any walkable beaches from the pier? Even if its up to a mile or 2. They're college boys so I think they can handle the walk.
It is around three miles to the Royal Palms which is one of the southernmost (closest to the tender piers) sections of Seven Mile Beach.

Thank you Drew, for all your help! This information has been VERY HELPFUL and I will pass it on to my son!!

Drats! I was hoping to get you off the hook, but I do have ONE more question. At the beaches there, are there minium purchases or entrance fees or are there any free beaches. Like in Cozumel, it seems like there are no FREE beaches. Generally a purchase is required to hang out at the beach.

By the way how far is Hell from the pier/bus station?

Cemetary Beach is free. We were dropped off by the "public bus" right at the path to Cemetary Beach. There are no facilities... bathroom, food, drinks, etc. at Cemetary Beach. We took our own water and it was a very nice relaxing beach day. We loved it and can't wait to visit again. When we were ready to return to the port...we walked back up the path to the street and as the bus approached us...he blowed his horn, we gave him a wave, and he stopped. We were back at the port in no time.

There are a few shipwrecks for snorkeling near the port... and they are free if you swim out to them from the shore. Eden's rock is free and nice snorkeling...really big fish. There are plenty of free spots... but if they are looking for people, drinks, and food, then yes you will probably have to pay a "usage" minimum fee.

Hope this information helps some.

Thanks 10th Anniversary! Yes that definitley helps, you got lucky with catching the bus! Was there a place nearby for them to call a cab if no busses showed up within the timeframe of them having to get back to port??....to be honest, I'm not sure which route they want to take, just go for a swim or have a few drinks too.....I would think at a college budget, they would want to take the free route....I know they shouldn't have any problems catching a cab at a place that sells food and drinks, but what about Cemetary beach or Eden's Rock?

The standard line is that the beach is free and open to the public, but...

The beach, from the edge of the water to the "mean high water mark" is the property of the Crown (HM Queen Elizabeth II - this is a British island after all) and is free and open to the public. No one can charge admission to this area nor can they deny you access from any public land to this area.

The "mean high water mark" is the point that high tide reaches on an average day. Since itdes don't move much in Cayman, the public Crown-owned portion of the beach is a very narrow bit of shore all along the water.

What people can control access to is the private land between the road and the Crown property at the edge of the water. They can limit access and charge fees for the use of that private property and any services they offer there.

In practice nowhere are you charged for merely accessing the sand. You can take a towel, stoll down the beach a bit and quietly enjoy your day. However you will need to pay for use of services such as lounge chairs, umbrellas, towels, pool access, etc...

The standard line is that the beach is free and open to the public, but...

The beach, from the edge of the water to the "mean high water mark" is the property of the Crown (HM Queen Elizabeth II - this is a British island after all) and is free and open to the public. No one can charge admission to this area nor can they deny you access from any public land to this area.

The "mean high water mark" is the point that high tide reaches on an average day. Since itdes don't move much in Cayman, the public Crown-owned portion of the beach is a very narrow bit of shore all along the water.

What people can control access to is the private land between the road and the Crown property at the edge of the water. They can limit access and charge fees for the use of that private property and any services they offer there.

In practice nowhere are you charged for merely accessing the sand. You can take a towel, stoll down the beach a bit and quietly enjoy your day. However you will need to pay for use of services such as lounge chairs, umbrellas, towels, pool access, etc...

Interesting!! But it makes sense that people would have to pay for services such as lounge chairs etc. Thanks for that information!

Fortunately private enterprise among the bus drivers has a way of providing adequate service all along Seven Mile Beach.

The West Bay routes (WB/1 or WB/2) travel the length of West Bay Road which runs the length of Seven Mile Beach*. There really aren't many other options for how they could go because it all comes down to one road going into and out of the district of West Bay.

[*Seven Mile Beach runs for about 5.5 miles as a continuous ribbon of sand. Because it is so long there are many names for specific sections of that beach. Discussion on these boards focuses on services available at certain sections such as Royal Palms, Sea Grape, etc... All are a part of teh larger SMB.]

Normally there is at least one WB bus at least every ten minutes - often more than one. In addition to serving the needs of a few tourists, the buses are the primary transportation for many who live in the largely residential district of West Bay.

Private enterprise also has a way of not providing adequate service to some rural stretches of East End or North Side. It is these areas which are sometimes missed for hours at a time. For this reason I always caution against a cruise ship passenger taking a bus to the Botanic Park (due to infrequent service) or Rum Point (no service - bus doesn't go that far).

Catching a cab at Cemetery Beach might by tricky. It wouldn't be too surprising to find one, but I would not count on it. However it is along that stretch where there is only one road in and out of the district. Lots of buses pass there.

Eden Rock is an easy walk (5-10 minutes, depending upon which pier is used) to the tender piers. No cab service is needed.

Thanks 10th Anniversary! Yes that definitley helps, you got lucky with catching the bus! Was there a place nearby for them to call a cab if no busses showed up within the timeframe of them having to get back to port??....to be honest, I'm not sure which route they want to take, just go for a swim or have a few drinks too.....I would think at a college budget, they would want to take the free route....I know they shouldn't have any problems catching a cab at a place that sells food and drinks, but what about Cemetary beach or Eden's Rock?

I visited grand caymen in November. My friend and I exited the tender port and walked out to the taxi stand near the sidewalk. Two guys were running a taxi to Sea Grape Beach, which is a very nice beach about three miles up the road. It appeared to be a public beach.

Cost of taxi was $5.00 each, each way.

Chair rental was $5.00....this is totally optional.

There is a small beach bar, selling drinks and food, but we were not required to purchase anything.

When we were ready to leave, a Bus/Taxi was waiting at the sidewalk. Once the bus was filled, it returned to the tender port.

What Drew said... He's the expert!!!! Eden's Rock is within walking distance. No taxi stand at Cemetary Beach. The buses run constantly and are used by locals. They will have no trouble catching a bus. If they want private transportation...grab a taxi. Not sure what they are interested in doing... if they want to hang out, drink and party... then they should visit Margaritaville or Senor Frogs. If they want to swim and and hang out... then find a good spot somewhere along seven mile beach. Have them ask people on their ship what they are doing in Grand Cayman... maybe they can tag alone with a group of frineds they meet on board.

Thanks everyone, so much!! This information has been VERY helpful!! I will put in all down on paper and have my son and his friends read their options. (I could tell him but you know kids, things go in one ear and out the other) I feel a lot better knowing, that he will know what to do once they get there. It's good to know that there is a walkable beach from the pier.....this way, they don't need to worry about being sure to catch transportation from a beach. I'm pretty sure they will want to go to Hell.

I was sooo looking forward to buying souveiners from Hell, when we were suppose to go.....I was so disappointed we missed Grand Cayman.....It is definitly on my list of places to go!!!

Once again thank you everyone for the information! And thanks tbdb2 for starting this post!

Anybody know what time you can go to Hell? (This just sounds so NOT right!). Our ship arrives @7:00 eastern time & we plan to tender in early & spend the day at Cemetary Beach. This will be our 3rd trip to Grand Cayman & we've never been to Hell. We drove past it once but our driver said it wasn't worth stopping. I was thinking about taking the bus there first & then going to the beach but I'm afraid it might be too early. Anybody? Thanks!

Anybody know what time you can go to Hell? (This just sounds so NOT right!). Our ship arrives @7:00 eastern time & we plan to tender in early & spend the day at Cemetary Beach. This will be our 3rd trip to Grand Cayman & we've never been to Hell. We drove past it once but our driver said it wasn't worth stopping. I was thinking about taking the bus there first & then going to the beach but I'm afraid it might be too early. Anybody? Thanks!

Ship time is one hour ahead of island time right now. You can google hell in grand cayman for their website and give them a call to see what time they open. Hell will take all of about 15 to 20 minutes to visit. Outside of seeing the rock formations, mailing a few postcards, and shopping for hell souvenirs that's all there is. We took the bus out to hell from the port and then caught the bus from hell to cemetary beach. Hell is a one time gotta see spot, but not a repeater.

There are plenty of free spots... but if they are looking for people, drinks, and food, then yes you will probably have to pay a "usage" minimum fee.

Actually, that's not true. There are no admission charges to Cayman beaches...all beaches are public up to the high water mark. There may be a charge to rent chairs, umbrellas, etc. or a charge to use hotel facilities, but not for the beach itself.

Your son and his friends should just hop a taxi to either Royal Palms or Sea Grape ($4-6 per person taxi ride each way). Both of those locations have free facilities (washrooms, showers, etc.) and rental chairs, umbrellas and watersports, as well as a bar/restaurant to buy food and drinks. If they don't mind the sun and bring a towel to throw down on the sand, their only costs will be the taxi there and whatever they eat or drink.

Archived