Motion sickness is 12 year old

Asil65

Just like ckekjhaze, my 12 year old daughter would ALWAYS get car sick since the time she was a baby. Reading, not reading, didn't matter. I started her on ginger capsules about a week before the trip and she never once had any problems. Now whether it was the capsules or not, I don't know. I felt funny the first night, and I was on them too. But absolutely fine the rest of the time, even the day or two we had choppy waters.

I called our pediatrician for our upcoming trip (we've got a 13yr old and a 2 yr old). The docs told me to take Benadryl with and not to give Dramamine. They also told me to check the vitamin places (GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, etc) for Ginger gum or Ginger pills. Ginger has been proven to work for motion sickness. And a coworker of mine who cruises a lot told me to find some Ginger snap cookies with for the little ones.

Hi,,ginger does work for many people,, but the amount of ginger in a ginger snap cookie means it is likely only psychlogically helpful.

I tried chewable Gravol brand Ginger ,, and found it only mildly helpful,, but from reading posts its seems like the best bet it to go to a health food type store and get actual ginger capsules.. more ginger per dose. I know I have suffered motion sickness all my life,, ( ah the fond memories of me vomiting across Canada every summer on my parents idea of vacations,,, road trips!) and one of my three children is also very prone to it.

I am going to try it for myself this March ,, but will still bring Bonnine,, which I swear is the best stuff ever( and we can't buy it in Canada,, rats,) . My 12 yr old dd who will be cruising with me does not very sick very often ( it was my oldest son who has my curse) ,, but in rough seas I will try offering her ginger first,, then Boninne.

I guess I must have taken the drowsy formula of Bonine on my last cruise. Does the non drowsy formula also give you that strange, spaced out effect when you take it? I really did not like that feeling.

I guess I must have taken the drowsy formula of Bonine on my last cruise. Does the non drowsy formula also give you that strange, spaced out effect when you take it? I really did not like that feeling.
Bonine, aka meclizine, is already non-drowsy and there is no drowsy version of it. As I said earlier, avoid buying medicines based on brand names (e.g. Bonine or Dramamine). As you can already see, these brands are almost meaningless and certainly cause more confusion than good. Please see my earlier post regarding the various antihistamines by their generic names and their characteristics.

Another point,, some poeple really should start with a lower dose of many meds then listed . If I took a whole 50 mg dose of Gravol I'd fall asleep too,, so I take only a quarter of a pill. Its often enough to hold off quesyiness if seas aren't rough. I also like and take childrens chewable meds ,, I still have some childrens Bonine from States( can't buy it here) and one of those is enough for me.

I really thought that I had bought bonine for the last cruise. Some drugs like cold medicines and such really have a strange effect on me. I think I only had taken one pill too. I am hoping that I will be OK on the ship and not have to use any anti nauseau meds and if my son has to use medicine will use the kids version. He is a really skinny 12 year old so less medicine will be better.

I really thought that I had bought bonine for the last cruise. Some drugs like cold medicines and such really have a strange effect on me. I think I only had taken one pill too. I am hoping that I will be OK on the ship and not have to use any anti nauseau meds and if my son has to use medicine will use the kids version. He is a really skinny 12 year old so less medicine will be better.

I think that is a smart idea,, a skinny person does need alot less meds. think about it,, dosage on many meds says "12 and up" but some twelve year olds weigh 85 pounds,, and their dose is the same as a grown mans!( over 150 pounds) !!

It was also suggested here,, and I think it's not a bad idea,, to take med right before bed,, see how it goes..

I often took 1/2 pill before bed, and 1/4 pill in morning.

Last thought,, don't wait till boy is sick,, it is so unpleasant ,, and harder to deal with. Perhaps try a small dose of med at HOME before you go,, to see how HE reacts first.

I have a 12 year old who tends to get moton sickness. We have a 12 day cruise coming up this June. I would love to hear what has worked for others who have had similar situations. I know I can give him dramamine but I thought that usually makes people drowsy. Is there something you can take propholactically so you never feel ill? I was actually contemplating the bracelet idea. Any suggestions would be great.

I like ginger for several reasons:

1) It is not a drug.

2) It is the only thing that worked on Mythbusters.

3) It works for me.

4) You can take it after you start to feel bad and it will still work.

I took one ginger tablet the morning I boarded the ship. Always take the ginger with a little water. I then took one ginger tablet before every dinner and one before every breakfast. I did not get seasick (and I get motion sickness easily). Many on the ship did get seasick (there was a storm following us).

Thanks Cuizar2. I love mythbusters. They actually tested ginger on the show ? How did they prove that it worked?

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/episode_43_seasickness_cures_f.html

Seasickness: Kill or Cure

The MythBusters tested various seasickness cures. They wanted to see if any non-pharmaceutical, no-side-effect remedy would work.

Motion sickness is caused by your brain being unable to process conflicting signals from your sense: your eyes tell you that your surroundings are still, but your inner ear and your fine muscle controls are telling you that things are moving.

Test setup

They built a chair modeled after NASA's seasick chair. The chair spun around at 7 rpm while the person in the chair was ordered to move their head to touch tennis balls positioned in front, behind, and to the sides.

Finding the test subject

They had to figure out who in the MythBusters crew was susceptible to seasickness. Adam was a sure bet because of previous seasickness during the Jaws Special. Sure enough, Adam got quesy within 3 and half minutes on the chair. After a half an hour in the chair, Jamie was still fine. Kari and Tory were both fine as well. Grant became the final test subject. He lasted longer than Adam, but he got sick as well.

Remedy Testing

• Homoepathic tongue tingler. They used a unnamed spray that you squirt under the tongue as often as needed. Grant was sick within 10 minutes and vomited some small chunks. Adam was sick within 4 minutes.
  • Wrist straps:They wore little gray wristbands that are 'Barry Manilow's choice.' Adam was sick within 90 seconds. Grant got sick as well. They've gotten pretty quick with bringing a bucket to Grant.
  • *Ginger pills: It worked! Adam and Grant were both fine.
  • Small shocks on the P6 Accupunture point (on the wrist): Both Adam and Grant got sick.
  • Placebo: They told Grant and Adam they were getting an over-the-counter pharmaceutical remedy, but they actually gave them vitamins. Adam's reponse: "I hate this [bleeping] chair" after three and a half minutes. Grant: "This is among the most effective, if not the most effective."
  • Over-the-counter pharmaceutical drug: Worked on Adam and Grant, but it made them both a little loopy.

Only thing that worked without any side effects was the ginger pill.

Ginger pills: plausible

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode43

Seasickness can be cured by taking a ginger pill.

confirmed

Both Adam and Grant made it through their spin-chair sessions without feeling ill.

While it is true that ginger products may work to prevent, or at least reduce the symptoms of, motion sickness, the problem is that most children hate or don't like the taste. My kids much preferred to be nauseous than suffer the torture of either drinking Ginger ale or chewing ginger pills or Altoids, for example. :)

Take a ginger pill, which you can swallow (not chew). Just make sure to drink a little water with it.

07431205145_220x220_a.jpg

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Herbals/Natural-Whole-Herb-Ginger-Root-550-mg/ID=prod3430765&navCount=1&navAction=push-product?V=G&ec=frgl_558419&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku3429605

I brought dramamine along just in case but I really didn't want to give it to my son cause it made me super sleepy when I took it in the past. I bought some of this and gave it to my 8 year old (and took some myself) since he was feeling a little motion sickness the first day of the cruise. I don't know if it was the remedy or just use getting used to the motion but by day 2 we were feeling better. Worth a try since it's homeopathic and doesn't make you sleepy!

http://www.boironusa.com/products.aspx?prodid=125

Thanks Cuizar2, I would love to see that show. Those guys do the craziest things. You are right about making sure to buy a pill that they can swallow. My son will not put something in his mouth that tastes bad when he already feels gross. So should you take the ginger when you feel bad or before you think you will feel bad? How long does one pill last?

I brought dramamine along just in case but I really didn't want to give it to my son cause it made me super sleepy when I took it in the past. I bought some of this and gave it to my 8 year old (and took some myself) since he was feeling a little motion sickness the first day of the cruise. I don't know if it was the remedy or just use getting used to the motion but by day 2 we were feeling better. Worth a try since it's homeopathic and doesn't make you sleepy!

http://www.boironusa.com/products.aspx?prodid=125

Never heard of this product. Sounds like it is tobacco based. How did it taste? Did your 8 year old mind taking it?

Thanks Cuizar2, I would love to see that show. Those guys do the craziest things. You are right about making sure to buy a pill that they can swallow. My son will not put something in his mouth that tastes bad when he already feels gross. So should you take the ginger when you feel bad or before you think you will feel bad? How long does one pill last?

I don't know how long the pills last. I have only taken two per day (one before breakfast and one before dinner).

This site suggests taking ginger three times per day ...

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/motion-sickness-000110.htm

This one seems to indicate that ginger is good for four hours ...

http://www.ehow.com/how_479_prevent-motion-sickness.html

I am sure you can get Mythbusters on DVD. The show was show # 43.

So it sounds like you take them prior to feeling ill or preventively. Good to know. Thanks for the mythbuster tip.

On the one cruise - yes. On the NCL Jade we were in some rough seas. I had not been taking any ginger tablets prior. I took one and went out on the balcony, sat down and looked out at the horizon (I had a forward facing balcony). I felt fine in about 5 - 10 minutes.

I just was reading that aft facing cabins are not good for sea sickness. Ugh, we have an aft balcony this time.

Aft facing cabins can move more than mid ship cabins, but in my experience it has not been that big of difference. Aft facing cabins are coveted for the views ...

U-IMG_0532.jpg

Balcony-aftviewII.jpg

How many children can swallow a 550 mg tablet or capsule? I'd even have trouble with that. My children cannot even swallow a 25 mg Bonine pill so I have to grind it up and put in their dessert.

So when considering motion sickness medicines and remedies for children, please make sure to factor in HOW you plan to get it into their systems. For us, ginger and related products are simply not an option.

How many children can swallow a 550 mg tablet or capsule? I'd even have trouble with that. My children cannot even swallow a 25 mg Bonine pill so I have to grind it up and put in their dessert.

So when considering motion sickness medicines and remedies for children, please make sure to factor in HOW you plan to get it into their systems. For us, ginger and related products are simply not an option.

The ginger pills I take are the same size as a vitamin pill. You don't have to purchase the largest size pills. Take two smaller ones if that is easier.

The ginger pills I take are the same size as a vitamin pill. You don't have to purchase the largest size pills. Take two smaller ones if that is easier.
The problem with ginger is that, to be effective, you need to take a large amount of it and consuming 25-50 mg of ginger won't do the trick. And as this thread is about motion sickness remedies for children, there is just no way to deliver enough of it to help a child. No child can swallow a 550 mg capsule. Heck, many can't swallow ANY size pill. Most hate the taste so they refuse to drink ginger ale, chew ginger gum or consume even ginger candies. And you definitely can't mix real ginger into anything edible due to the unpleasant taste--except for perhaps gingerbread cookies but by the time you add all the sugar and junk, there isn't enough ginger being consumed to accomplish its primary purpose, i.e. relieve motion sickness. And even if you could find gingerbread cookies onboard, they'd probably have to eat a couple dozen of them and then you'd have a sickness of another type! ;)

So from my personal experience medicating my children, there are two requirements when delivering medicines to children:

1. It must be chewable

2. It must either taste good or be disguiseable in something that tastes good

So unless your child can somehow stomach the taste of ginger, I'd say forget anything ginger-related and consider other remedies such as meclizine or wrist bands. :)

I'm finally getting out of my first trimester and I know ALL about nausea! You could try going to your local maternity store and seeing if they carry Preggie Pops or Preggie Pop Drops. They're little sour candies with ginger in them that work GREAT for nausea. You can also buy ones made for kids on their website, http://www.threelollies.com/.

I have used the SeaBands and had very good results with them when I had vertigo from an ear infection. Another piece of advice my doctor gave me was to take the anti-nausea medicine at night, so if it makes you sleepy it's no big deal-you're going to bed anyway.

I can totally relate to your child-I still get carsick and I'm 35!

Archived