Motion sickness is 12 year old

Asil65

I have a 12 year old who tends to get moton sickness. We have a 12 day cruise coming up this June. I would love to hear what has worked for others who have had similar situations. I know I can give him dramamine but I thought that usually makes people drowsy. Is there something you can take propholactically so you never feel ill? I was actually contemplating the bracelet idea. Any suggestions would be great.

**Inserting standard I am not a doctor disclaimer here: please consult with his pediatrician**

Bonine :)

Bonine is the best OTC anti-nausea med to take (believe me, I used to get horrible motion sickness) because you can take it AFTER you start to feel sick. With dramamine, you need to take it before you get sick. That means it makes you sleepy all the time.

With Bonine, you only take it when you need it. So if he doesn't need it, then he doesn't need to take it. It's a chewable, so he can take it anywhere.

I really wouldnt consider the patch even if it is possible for his age because once you put it on, the medicine stays in your system for a while. If he has a bad reaction or some even some unwanted side effects (and there are many) like blurred vision and diziness - then it can take days after the patch is removed for the side effects to go away.

There is a Children's Formula Bonine - it's available for Children ages 6 and older. It's a little harder to find. I have been able to find it in Wal Mart.

Thanks Michele I appreciate the input. Last cruise I was on was a little rough so I took some dramamine. I felt like I was in a strange fog for almost a day. I really hated the feeling. Is Bonine a different chemical than what is in dramimine? I will look into that. I know a lot of people use ginger too. Something wholistic might be good too.

Thanks Michele I appreciate the input. Last cruise I was on was a little rough so I took some dramamine. I felt like I was in a strange fog for almost a day. I really hated the feeling. Is Bonine a different chemical than what is in dramimine? I will look into that. I know a lot of people use ginger too. Something wholistic might be good too.

I know that many many parents here swear by ginger.

I looked up the formulas...and it looks like Bonine and Dramamine "less Drowsy" are the exact same thing :)

Dramamine Original

Average cost: $4 for 12 pills[/font][/color]

Active ingredient: 50mg Dimenhydrinate

Drug class: Antihistamine

Uses:

Reduces allergic symptoms such as hay fever, hives, rash or itching;

Prevents motion sickness, nausea, vomiting;

Relieves symptoms associated with the common cold;

Induces sleep.

What the drug does:

Blocks action of histamine after an allergic response triggers histamine release in sensitive cells. Histamines cause itching, sneezing, runny nose and eyes and other symptoms.

Appears to work in the vomiting center of the brain to control nausea and vomiting and help prevent motion sickness.

Skin and Sunlight: May cause rash or intensify sunburn in areas exposed to the sun.

Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL

Average cost:

Dramamine Less Drowsy: $4 for 8 Pills

Bonine: $7 for 16 pills

Meclizine HCL: $7 for 100 pills

Active Ingredient in all three: 25mg Meclizine Hydrocloride

Drug class: Antiemetic, antihistamine, anti-motion sickness.

Uses: Prevents motion sickness and treatment for Vertigo.

What the drug does:

Reduces sensitivity of nerve endings in inner ear and blocks messages to brain’s vomiting center.

Skin and sunlight: No problems expected.

Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL are identical.

My daughter was 5 on our last cruise and got motion sick. I, like you, didn't want to medicate if I didn't need to. I brought a package of the sea bands for her to wear. Sea bands look sort of like sweatbands for the wrist and have a little plastic bead on them. When worn the plastic bead goes on a pressure point in the wrist that takes away nausea. You can buy them at Wal-Mart they are located with the dramamine.

Also--check with your doctor about Bonine. Although you can buy a cheaper generic version of it, the actual name-brand Bonine is chewable and easier for kids to take. I have used Bonine for my children when driving through the mountains(New Mexico & Colorado). My doctor had me cut the pills to get the right dosage for a child.

Thanks Texas2804. I like the sea band idea. Did your daughter have good results with the sea bands? My son is a bit of a nervous guy so anything that I can give him ahead of time to help him stay calm would be great. I also like that the bonine is chewable. I was so shocked when I took the dramamine.I had never taken it before and it made me feel so strange. I also felt like the spacy feeling lasted forever. Don't want my son to gfell like that if I can avoid it.

Loved the sea bands while on Whale watching in Maine when granddgt was 10. Worked like a charm and the seas were rough.

On RCL cruise in Carribean had to use them only once right at dinner time. Waiter had gingerale sent to room for her. He also sent decorated cookie for when she woke up during the middle of night hungary. Sure enough she did.

This time she will be 12 on the Panama canal cruise. She wanted to know if I knew where to find the bands just in case. :):)

My kids swear by the Sea Bands. We keep them on our small motor boat at home, and we have used them on every cruise. There is no medicine involved, so no drowsiness, in fact absolutely no risk of side effects. Even very small children could use them as they are small enough for the tiniest wrist. I probably wouldn't put them on a teething infant as I'm not sure how secure the pressure button is in the band. I mean it's not going to just fall off, so I wouldn't worry about a sibling situation, but I wouldn't want a 6 month old chewing on it. Anyway, for children 3 years and older (as well as the adults in your group), I'd bring a set or two along.

You should always consult your personal physician, and I highly recommend discussing Sea Bands.

BTW, no disclaimer here...I am a Pediatrician. :)

I totally support the sea bands, but in case your 12 year old boy doesn't want to wear them (they're not exactly that stylish!), be prepared with some Less Drowsy Dramamine or Bonine.

I would get VERY sea sick around that age and the medicine always worked for me better than ginger ale or the bands.

Thank you ahornb and sharkums I really appreciate the input. My son wears those rubber wrist bands all of the time so I think the wrist band would be no big deal. I like the fact that he can wear it for the whole cruise and possibly prevent the nausea from happening. I will likely get the chewable bonine if I can find it as a back up. Why is it that everyone feels the need to put disclaimers on everything? That really bums me out that our world is so lawyer conscious. Advice is what it is. You can take it or leave it.

I know that many many parents here swear by ginger.

I looked up the formulas...and it looks like Bonine and Dramamine "less Drowsy" are the exact same thing :)

Dramamine Original

Average cost: $4 for 12 pills[/font][/color]

Active ingredient: 50mg Dimenhydrinate

Drug class: Antihistamine

Uses:

Reduces allergic symptoms such as hay fever, hives, rash or itching;

Prevents motion sickness, nausea, vomiting;

Relieves symptoms associated with the common cold;

Induces sleep.

What the drug does:

Blocks action of histamine after an allergic response triggers histamine release in sensitive cells. Histamines cause itching, sneezing, runny nose and eyes and other symptoms.

Appears to work in the vomiting center of the brain to control nausea and vomiting and help prevent motion sickness.

Skin and Sunlight: May cause rash or intensify sunburn in areas exposed to the sun.

Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL

Average cost:

Dramamine Less Drowsy: $4 for 8 Pills

Bonine: $7 for 16 pills

Meclizine HCL: $7 for 100 pills

Active Ingredient in all three: 25mg Meclizine Hydrocloride

Drug class: Antiemetic, antihistamine, anti-motion sickness.

Uses: Prevents motion sickness and treatment for Vertigo.

What the drug does:

Reduces sensitivity of nerve endings in inner ear and blocks messages to brain’s vomiting center.

Skin and sunlight: No problems expected.

Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL are identical.

Virtually all over-the-counter "motion sickness" medicines are some form of antihistamine. Diphenhydramine (aka Benydryl) is, for example, is commonly prescribed and found effective for motion sickness. And I'd bet some of you probably thought it was an allergy medicine! The reality is that relief for the symptoms of allergies, nausea and/or motion sickness, is all rooted in reducing histamine levels in the body.

The easiest way to avoid confusion over these drugs is to read the labels and look for its generic name and AVOID seeking brand names like "Dramamine" or the like. "Dramamine" is a terribly confusing brand name as the company that owns it uses different forms of the same brand name for very different drugs (as Michelle points out above)!

I personally recommend and have found Meclizine (aka Bonine, Dramamine II, Dramamine Less Drowsy,Meclizine HCl, etc. etc.) for the kids as it is non-drowsy, but many people like dimenhydrinate (aka Dramamine, Driminate, etc.) or diphenhydramine (aka Benydryl, Allermax, Unisom, Simply Sleep, Sleep-eze, Sominex, etc. etc.). The latter of course has the side benefit or drawback, depending on the time of day, of being a sleep aid.

Thank you ahornb and sharkums I really appreciate the input. My son wears those rubber wrist bands all of the time so I think the wrist band would be no big deal. I like the fact that he can wear it for the whole cruise and possibly prevent the nausea from happening. I will likely get the chewable bonine if I can find it as a back up. Why is it that everyone feels the need to put disclaimers on everything? That really bums me out that our world is so lawyer conscious. Advice is what it is. You can take it or leave it.

No problem Asil65. For what it's worth, I think your combo of Sea Bands and Bonine is a great idea.

Sea-Band also makes a ginger gum

08727900547_220x220_a.jpg

I had the kid of one of my co-workers try it when she had a stomach virus... and she said it worked!

Who knew?

I didn't know about the Ginger Gum. Thanks for the tip!

I called our pediatrician for our upcoming trip (we've got a 13yr old and a 2 yr old). The docs told me to take Benadryl with and not to give Dramamine. They also told me to check the vitamin places (GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, etc) for Ginger gum or Ginger pills. Ginger has been proven to work for motion sickness. And a coworker of mine who cruises a lot told me to find some Ginger snap cookies with for the little ones.

I called our pediatrician for our upcoming trip (we've got a 13yr old and a 2 yr old). The docs told me to take Benadryl with and not to give Dramamine. They also told me to check the vitamin places (GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, etc) for Ginger gum or Ginger pills. Ginger has been proven to work for motion sickness. And a coworker of mine who cruises a lot told me to find some Ginger snap cookies with for the little ones.
While it is true that ginger products may work to prevent, or at least reduce the symptoms of, motion sickness, the problem is that most children hate or don't like the taste. My kids much preferred to be nauseous than suffer the torture of either drinking Ginger ale or chewing ginger pills or Altoids, for example. :)

Terpnut, That is so funny. Your kids don't even like ginger ale? Usually any soda is a great thing when it comes to kids. Didn't realise that benydryl also has anti nausea effects. Thanks everyone.

Terpnut, That is so funny. Your kids don't even like ginger ale? Usually any soda is a great thing when it comes to kids. Didn't realise that benydryl also has anti nausea effects. Thanks everyone.
I don't know many kids around hear who like ginger ale--at least not in my neighborhood. If your son will drink it, that's great! ;)

As for Benydryl, yup, it's a sleep aid, allergy medicine and a motion sickness wonder drug all rolled into one. :)

Just our experience- one of my kids gets very carsick especially when reading in the car. SHe didn't get sick at all on the cruise. I brought bonine and seabands- didn't need any of them.

My husband wore the patch and brought a few backup methods. He was extrememly nervous too and thought he would be sick like he was on a whale watch. He was fine but did have the patch on the whole time with no side effects.

Have a great cruise!

Archived