CB and wheelchair in mini-suite

PokrChick

My FIL will be renting a motorized wheel chair for their cruise on the Caribbean Princess. They are booked in a mini-suite. Can anyone think of any issues he might have? Should I be encouraging them to switch to a handicapped balcony instead? Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure that a "regular" cabin has cabin doors wide enough to accomodate a wheelchair. Also the bathroom will not be set up for a wheelchair. They should contact their booking agent for clarification and possible move to accessible cabin.

My FIL will be renting a motorized wheel chair for their cruise on the Caribbean Princess. They are booked in a mini-suite. Can anyone think of any issues he might have? Should I be encouraging them to switch to a handicapped balcony instead? Thanks in advance!

With a motorized wheelchair he absolutely needs a handicapped balcony cabin. The chair will not fit through the doors of the mini suite, and once inside, he will have no room to maneuver. Then there is the issue of the threshold into the bathroom to maneuver over, no space in the bathroom once you're in there. Then the issue of how the bathroom might be set up -- if there's a tub, he'd have to manage to get in/out of the tub.

While in the past people were allowed to leave their motorized chairs outside their room (assuming they could walk well enough to manage without them inside the cabin), that really is against regulations, and is a real safety hazard for anyone trying to navigate the hallways, particularly in an emergency. And any of the rest of us who use wheelchairs aren't able to get through the hallways with other chairs "parked" there.

When was he intending to cruise? There are so few handicap-accessible cabins on cruise ships, many of us who need such cabins book them months in advance -- at least 6 months -- sometimes more. I booked my next cruise in August of 2009...the cruise is in April, 2010....

I agree that a motorized wheelchair would not work in a regular mini-suite.

However, I've read here on cc that the last mini suite on each side of the Dolphin deck are handicapped. Check with Princess and/or your TA to see if these minisutes would be an option.

I agree that a motorized wheelchair would not work in a regular mini-suite.

However, I've read here on cc that the last mini suite on each side of the Dolphin deck are handicapped. Check with Princess and/or your TA to see if these minisutes would be an option.

There is a ship or two that those staterooms were designated as accessible, but the problem was, they forgot to make the doors larger so a scooter or wheelchair could get through. So, they are set up with roll in shower and other accessible layouts, but the door alone would stop anyone that can not walk or must ride a scooter from entering. And there is the problem, as scooter and/or wheel chairs can no longer be left out in the hallway, they must be able to be stored in the stateroom now.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot that I had posted this!

Thank you all so much for your advice! I never would have thought about the chair not being able to get through the door. He is somewhat mobile, so getting around in the cabin without a chair is not a problem. But, storing the chair obviously is. Thank you all again for your wisdom!! We'll be contacting our TA today!

Archived