Would you recommend booking pre cruise hotel through Royal Caribbean?

ocay4me

I was told by Royal Caribbean that it is best to book your pre cruise hotel through them instead of booking the hotel on your own. I found that booking through them would cost me $200 more. Is it worth the extra money booking through them?

I was told by Royal Caribbean that it is best to book your pre cruise hotel through them instead of booking the hotel on your own. I found that booking through them would cost me $200 more. Is it worth the extra money booking through them?

I, personally, would NEVER (again) book any of my extras (air, hotel, transfers, etc) through the cruiseline unless it was something unique (One Way Fare or exotic location).

I did it once, had no control and it cost more. I now book my own air, hotel and get to the pier on my own. Depending on where you are sailing, you can Priceline the hotel and I'm sure find decent A/F. Of course, you can always book the A/F through them until you find your own then cancel (I think that can be done).

I use a bidding site. Got a room for pre cruise in Downtown Miami for 49 for the night 10pp to go to the port and 59 for after cruise at Whyndham. Both are 4 stars. My air was only 209 all taxes included from Boston to Miami, rccl wante around 500 bucks. Def go the bidding sites.

The only person it's better for is the cruise line & the hotel...I've always booked my hotel on my own...once before Cruise Critic I booked my air thru the cruise line...it turned out ok...but I more than likely paid much more than I would have needed to.. now I know...plus I like doing the research & having control over my bookings...

I think you answered your own question - why would it be worth spending $200 to have someone book a hotel room for you? It takes all of three minutes to book the room yourself. As others have said, if you use a bidding website, you likely can save another 40%-60% more than the $200 figure. I have always managed to land four star hotels in nice areas for an average of about $70 per night using the bidding websites.

We have done it for our 2 cruises requiering Hotel & air, but in the future we will do it ourselves. They charge you say $100 pp for a room, yet when you book your own, your only charged $100. As far as flights, it depends on where I am flying & price. To travel within the states we will do our own, but if we go abroad, I might book thru the cruise lines. I really like to know our schedule well in advance

We booked a package in Orlando at Universal Studios last year with a grandaughter and will do it this year with a grandson. There wasn't much difference in the price and when we factored in the free transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship it was pretty much a wash. Normally though we book the hotel on our own because we can get a much better deal. As for airfare we've done it both ways and sometimes we have gotten better deals booking through the cruiseline. Other times we've done it on our own at a better price.

Archived