Personal computer?

lt30097

Neither had I, but just noticed this on the NCL website:

THOUGHTFUL TOUCHES

•Fresh flower arrangement

•Access to private sundeck

•Access to exclusive Courtyard area with private pool, sundeck, hot tub and fitness area (on Norwegian Epic only)

•Wireless Internet access, plus personal computer

•Bliss Collection by NCL™ featuring pillow-top mattresses, fine linens, duvet and pillow menu

•Plush bathrobes, towels and slippers

•Flat-screen TV with DVD & CD library

I called and asked whether my spa suite on the Epic would have these items. NCL said:

1. only the garden villas have this (on Epic)

2. wifi is for cost, not free--evidently it doesn't reach to cabins but is available in courtyard area, so being able to use it in your cabin (or courtyard) is the amenity.

I don't care about having a computer, I can bring my netbook, but I'm a bit surprised about the wifi. Just did a Carnival Christmas cruise (Liberty) and the entire ship had wifi. Sure, you had to pay but at least it was available everywhere. NCL's limited availability is a real disappointment. I would have thought the suites would include it free.

Hmm...guess it depends on where you are on the ship and what ship you are on. We were in a mini suite in the Gem and I had Wifi in our cabin the entire cruise. Yes, you have to pay for internet service....but I loved having the ability to sit in our cabin and access it instead of using the always crowed Internet cafe. Not all cabins can get that...but from what I understand most balcony and mini suites have an "Ethernet hook up"...we did in our cabin right next to the electrical outlet on the desk area. You just need to have a "cable" for it and they lend them to you on the ship.

Neither had I, but just noticed this on the NCL website:

THOUGHTFUL TOUCHES

•Fresh flower arrangement

•Access to private sundeck

•Access to exclusive Courtyard area with private pool, sundeck, hot tub and fitness area (on Norwegian Epic only)

•Wireless Internet access, plus personal computer

•Bliss Collection by NCL™ featuring pillow-top mattresses, fine linens, duvet and pillow menu

•Plush bathrobes, towels and slippers

•Flat-screen TV with DVD & CD library

It's interesting that they say that access to the courtyard is only available on the Epic. The Epic does not have any AB penthouses. And, there is no private sundeck on the Dawn (except in the Garden Villas).

No computers in the AB. Only AA and above. But, there is an ethernet jack in the AB. It's right next to the sliding door that leads to the balcony. So, you can bring your own laptop. But, you'll be paying the same fees as in the internet cafe.

NCL has wifi nodes throughout the ship(they are in the halls) and should work in almost every cabin, suite or no. This is another example of the land side people not knowing/being told the truth of how it works....and yes it is still pay not free. Its expensive to use a satellite and the cruise lines have to pay. Its also a concession on the ship so they can't/won't make it free...

The computers that are in the Owners Suite have been reported as almost worthless. Even if working well, the only thing you could use them for is internet access, which like all other computers onboard, have to share the satellite uplink.

Wireless will work in some areas and not others. Remember, there is alot of steel that the signal has to work around and through. And, it is not like there are that many people making use of their computers all day, at $.40 to $.75 per minute.

If you pay for 3G service, you CAN use it on your ship most likely....and if you sign up for "international data service" from your cell phone carrier it will be FREE flat rate, other than what you pay your cell phone co. Disclaimer: this is for Verizon, you should check with YOUR company to make sure this applies to you!

The down side is that it is slow, access is intermittent, and it is much too slow for Skype, based on my experience on a Carnival ship. I have to think it is a technology issue rather than a cruise line issue...but it is an alternative to pricey wifi if all you want to do is keep up with email and you have a 3G device. I used my HTC Ozone to send & receive email and that was fine, and I was even able to check flight status on my return flight and email my mom to get us rebooked when our flight was cancelled.

I did not think any of the ships had 3G access. If you were able to get unlimited data on a SHIP and not get an extra charge, this would be the first time I have seen anyone do it.

Land based intl plans, yes. Shipboard - not so much.

Please clarify.

I did not think any of the ships had 3G access. If you were able to get unlimited data on a SHIP and not get an extra charge, this would be the first time I have seen anyone do it.

Land based intl plans, yes. Shipboard - not so much.

Please clarify.

Confirmed!

Here's the relevant section from my Verizon Wireless bill:

Global Roam - BahamaskilobytesUnlimited1843----(12/26 - 01/01)Global Roam - Cruise ShipkilobytesUnlimited17,123----(12/26 - 01/01)

This was on Carnival Liberty, with the $64.95/mo international data plan.

Assume nothing and ask your phone company specifically if this is an option for you for the cruise ship you are going on and for your itinerary. I think it is broadly applicable but it isn't worth risking a major bill on my assumption. Also be aware that if your phone speaks CDMA rather than GSM it may not work on a cruise ship's data service, you have to check ahead of time. I was using an HTC Ozone which is "global capable", meaning it speaks both. I had to call Verizon and activate my global SIM card ahead of time.

I've had a bit of experience in this area in the last six months, since I've started vacationing more in the Caribbean and Mexico (see my sig :>) so if I can help anyone figure out the right questions to ask of your phone company, please ask!

AT&T sites does list the phone service, same as most carriers at $2.49 a minute. Data is "per use rates are $.0195kb", which is somewhere are $20 a meg. Went to their intl data roaming packages, but cruiseships are not listed for that plan.

Verizon is giving you a good deal.

I called and asked whether my spa suite on the Epic would have these items. NCL said:

1. only the garden villas have this (on Epic)

2. wifi is for cost, not free--evidently it doesn't reach to cabins but is available in courtyard area, so being able to use it in your cabin (or courtyard) is the amenity.

I don't care about having a computer, I can bring my netbook, but I'm a bit surprised about the wifi. Just did a Carnival Christmas cruise (Liberty) and the entire ship had wifi. Sure, you had to pay but at least it was available everywhere. NCL's limited availability is a real disappointment. I would have thought the suites would include it free.

Interesting, because the Epic does not have Garden Villas. NCL decided to drop them for this ship.

3G is meaningless on board...The ships have Wi-Fi, but the satellite connection is slow and expensive. We use it to stay in touch with our offices when we are at sea.

AT&T sites does list the phone service, same as most carriers at $2.49 a minute. Data is "per use rates are $.0195kb", which is somewhere are $20 a meg. Went to their intl data roaming packages, but cruiseships are not listed for that plan.

Verizon is giving you a good deal.

Call AT&T and ask about it. I know they have an international data plan.

NCL has wifi nodes throughout the ship(they are in the halls) and should work in almost every cabin, suite or no. This is another example of the land side people not knowing/being told the truth of how it works....and yes it is still pay not free. Its expensive to use a satellite and the cruise lines have to pay. Its also a concession on the ship so they can't/won't make it free...

I was on the Dawn in November, and was not able to get a wifi signal in an AC penthouse. :( But I always bring my 20 foot ethernet cable! :D

Archived