Book the Baths with Egbert --A Review & Recommendation

moondoggie

We were on Solstice last week, and despite the shortened port time (7am-1pm), Egbert got us to The Baths and we had a great time. I highly recommend him, as did the others in our party. He is very attuned to getting you back in time to catch the ship. Here are some tips for enjoying The Baths with Egbert:

1. Egbert doesn't have a website--just a phone, and he is easy to get a hold of. His number is 284-443-5288. Depending on where you are callingh from, you may need to preceed this number with '011'.

2. Call him a few weeks ahead of time to make arrangements, and then confirm a day or two prior to arriving in Tortola. We had people in our original party cancel, and I wanted Egbert to know this ahead of time, as a courtesy to him.

3. Cost is $45 per person, payable on the return trip. Remember, you never tip the Captain, just the Mate. So, DH and I gave Egbert $100 for the two of us, and directed him to give the extra $10 to the Mate.

4. Try to get a group of ten or twelve together yourselves, so you can fill his smaller boat. People, don't weenie out at the last minute!

5. Arrange to meet him immediately after the ship docks, and be off the ship asap.

6. VERY IMPORTANT! You will not find Egbert in the hoard of taxis and tours near the little security/tourism building when you come off the ship. Instead, walk out along the right side towards town to where the locals sell their touristy/crafts stuff. There will be another small security shack. and Egbert will meet you at the edge of the touristy/craft tents. His shirt has his name right on it. His boat is a three minute walk from there.

7. Be sure to eat breakfast before you leave the ship--esp bread products, as you will be travelling on a fast boat and won't return until around 1 pm--take a Bonine one hour prior if you are prone to seasickness--but truly, this is a very nice ride, not scary at all.

8. Wear water shoes, as climbing around the inside of The Baths can be slippery. There are a few ladders to climb, and ropes to hold onto.

9. Bring a cheap waterproof single use camera (like from the drug stores), so you won't have to worry about keeping your 'nice' camera dry.

10. Bring some small bills for drinks/snacks at 'Poor Man's Bar' just outside The Baths--you will need refreshment after navigating The Baths.

11. Bring snorkel gear if you are so inclined.

12. Since Egbert will beach the boat on your arrival, you'll just jump into water a few feet deep. On the return, depending on the water, you may wade out to the boat in waist or chest high water, so don't bring stuff you won't mind getting wet. Actually, all you need is a towel, some cash (in one of those waterproof neck pouches with your Seapass), and your waterproof camera.

13. Swimming there is GORGEOUS. You will be in awe of the beauty of the beaches and the boulders. I always travel with my noodles. and I could have spent all day in the water!

14. Coming back, Egbert will offer you bear, soda, and RUM! Relax and enjoy the return trip. You'll be back in plenty of time to catch the ship.

Again, Egbert is just great, and we highly recommend him!

Your review and comments are helpful. My wife and I (in our sixties) will be using Egbert on March 1 to get from the ship in Tortola to the Baths. Based on some comments on CC, we were planning to take cameras in waterproof bags. Doable?? Our ship is in port from 9:00 to 6:00. How much time does it take to get from the ship to the Baths? How is the snorkeling at the Baths. We've read varying reports. How difficult is it to negotiate through the Baths? We've also read that there are lockers to store gear. True? How available?

Again, your report seemed to be very thorough and helpful. If you would like to reply by email, you can reach us at jp2andbld at earthlink dot net.

ColoTrvlr

I had reserved with Egbert over the phone, but when we met up with him, he made us wait for one hour as he tried to get others to join in the boat. He then said for us to just take the late ferry as he could not justify taking only three of us. It was disappointing to have to wait for one hour. We later found out that he had earlier rounded up people who had not reserved and filled up his boat before we arrived ,(at the agreed upon time.) He took the first boat without waiting for us. We met up with him at 8:45 am. So meet up with him early so as not to miss out. I rather doubt he would fill up a boat for an afternoon trip.

We will be going with egbert as well. on 3-29-10. We inquired as to an afternoon trip and he prefers to go in the am. If you are worried about crouds traveltalkonline.com/bvi.cgi a site for the bvi port tells you which ships will be in porth that day. As stated above egbert is reachable by phone only. He seemed very informative and professional. We are looking forward to our trip with him. :) If anyone else would like to join us please contact me at kknigin@verizon.net

• 1 month later...

Moondoggie, thanks for your review, I just see it now through a Google search although I've been posting on the boards for the last couple of weeks due to our upcoming cruise.

Anyway thanks for the info, it really answers some of my questions.

I know you wrote that it was a nice ride.. but since we are traveling with a toddler, could you give us some more details? Does he go very fast? Bumpy? Might a little kid be scared?

Merkelcg, your post is a discouraging, sorry that happened to you. I'm hoping since there already seem to be a few people in our cruise that are doing this trip, that it won't happen.

We did not take Egbert, but the ferry to the Baths. We had a toddler with us as well. I don't think I would have been comfortable in a small-ish boat on the open water you cross to get to VG. The ferry is very doable, you can bring your stroller and all the baby things you need.

Sunquest, thanks, that's what I was thinking about the boat... did you manage with a stroller through the baths? Or did you just stay at the beach? We are taking the stroller with us on all ports but figured not in Tortola due to the rocky path at the baths...

Believe it or not, we folded the umbrella stroller and I lugged it thru the Baths with us while DH had DD. NOW, what I would recommend is: walk down the path behind the drop off/pick up hut to Devil's Beach. Once on the beach, take turns exploring the Baths. Or dont' bother at all. We had a GREAT time at the beach and in the water, the Baths themselves were neat to see but a lot of work.

LOL, I will keep your recommendation in mind although I've read great things about the baths and would definitely want to at least go take a peek. :)

Wish I could take our stroller but it is bulky and heavy, no way I will carry that thing around.

Again, Egbert is just great, and we highly recommend him!

Your review was great. Thanks!

The only thing that I worry about is a problem we had on a previous tour on a different island. We waited over an hour while the they tried to fill the boat. Then they packed us in like sardines....was not a tour we would want to repeat.

Can you let me know if you were promptly taken to the Baths and does he overcrowd his boats? If you had to wait, was it long?

It seems like a great choice over going taking the ferry and having to take either a shuttle or taxi and then worry about the return time.

We took this tour with Egbert 29 MAR 2010 after reading the original review of this thread. It was a decent tour, but we also were slightly disappointed! Our sole deciding factor on using Egbert was the "fast" direct boat ride to the Baths and the "fast" boat ride back to the ship.

When I found Egbert outside the port terminal I told him that was the whole reason we were going with him. He nodded and asked us to wait a few more minutes which turned into about 20-30 while he drummed up more business. Then he informed us that he couldn't go directly to the Baths that we would have to take the cabs from the Marina, but he was only going to charge $35 which included "whatever we wanted" but in reality was free rum punch, water, and soda.

As I watched him try to get others on the trip, he seemed to be a bit of a fast talker telling people whatever they wanted to hear to get them on the boat. A red flag went up for me, but still we decided to go with him, since we had waited this long. So here are the Pros and Cons from our experience:

Pros:

-He had 2 boats. We were in the one he said was 42ft. Nice boat!

-The boat was right outside the cruiseport terminal, much closer than Speedy's. Very short walk to his boat.

-Free water, cokes, and rum punch.

-The Baths are beautiful!

Cons:

-The smaller boat-not so nice!

_Egbert not truthful about how long the boat ride was going to be. It took an HOUR to get there and over an HOUR to return! We never did get an adequate explanation why. When my husband made a comment about how slow we were going on the return, Egbert's female assistant replied "what do you want to bully him". I found that comment odd. Of course not, we just wanted an explanation.

-Speedy's Ferry as well as other boats zoomed past us. Which meant by the time we arrived at the Baths, they were CROWDED! They were so crowded going through the caves, we had to wait in long lines to scramble through them. Not a particularly enjoyable experience!

-We were locked in to the time we could return, and could not just hop on the ferry at an earlier time, which, since the Baths were so crowded is something we definitely would have done.

-We were not given much of an informational tour at all, so do your research. The only time we were ever really spoken to was at the end and that was to remind us to tip his staff.

-We only had 45 minutes left in port when we returned to the cruise port, not the 2 hours Egbert said we were going to have.

We took this tour with Egbert 29 MAR 2010 after reading the original review of this thread. It was a decent tour, but we also were slightly disappointed! Our sole deciding factor on using Egbert was the "fast" direct boat ride to the Baths and the "fast" boat ride back to the ship.

When I found Egbert outside the port terminal I told him that was the whole reason we were going with him. He nodded and asked us to wait a few more minutes which turned into about 20-30 while he drummed up more business. Then he informed us that he couldn't go directly to the Baths that we would have to take the cabs from the Marina, but he was only going to charge $35 which included "whatever we wanted" but in reality was free rum punch, water, and soda.

As I watched him try to get others on the trip, he seemed to be a bit of a fast talker telling people whatever they wanted to hear to get them on the boat. A red flag went up for me, but still we decided to go with him, since we had waited this long. So here are the Pros and Cons from our experience:

Pros:

-He had 2 boats. We were in the one he said was 42ft. Nice boat!

-The boat was right outside the cruiseport terminal, much closer than Speedy's. Very short walk to his boat.

-Free water, cokes, and rum punch.

-The Baths are beautiful!

Cons:

-The smaller boat-not so nice!

_Egbert not truthful about how long the boat ride was going to be. It took an HOUR to get there and over an HOUR to return! We never did get an adequate explanation why. When my husband made a comment about how slow we were going on the return, Egbert's female assistant replied "what do you want to bully him". I found that comment odd. Of course not, we just wanted an explanation.

-Speedy's Ferry as well as other boats zoomed past us. Which meant by the time we arrived at the Baths, they were CROWDED! They were so crowded going through the caves, we had to wait in long lines to scramble through them. Not a particularly enjoyable experience!

-We were locked in to the time we could return, and could not just hop on the ferry at an earlier time, which, since the Baths were so crowded is something we definitely would have done.

-We were not given much of an informational tour at all, so do your research. The only time we were ever really spoken to was at the end and that was to remind us to tip his staff.

-We only had 45 minutes left in port when we returned to the cruise port, not the 2 hours Egbert said we were going to have.

Thank you for posting this information. That is one of the things I was most worried about as we have had the LONG wait before as the tour operator tries to fill their boat.

Guess we will stick with the ferry.

Nice review from my wife Tammlynn, but I would like add my own observations.

1. Egbert took about an hour to get to the baths which was understandable as the surf was a bit rough and we were going into the wind. The ferry's were still quicker though and I would have hated to have been in the 24 foot boat that was used for the extra people.

2. Egbert stated that we would be back quickly but this all changed when we got to the boat to depart. He took more than the hour stated above as it was closer to 1 1/2 hours. We were going with the tide and the seas were relatively calm and as I have a boat also, I know this could have been done in 20 to 30 minutes. I am guessing this was done to either liquor up the passengers (strong suspicions) or to save fuel. This can be fine if that is what you want, but this was NOT what we were told and not what was expected.

3. Egbert waited about 15 minutes before we left for the tour to inform us that we would not be anchoring close to the Baths and would have to take cab. This was the primary reason we chose him. He knows this is important to us yet waited to tell us the truth.

4. When we left the Baths to head back we were met with 2 buckets. One for the sandy shoes/sandals etc that were not to be worn on the boat. The other was filled with water to rinse our feet. Some were not happy digging there shoes out of a bucket when we returned.

5. A glaring omission was for a step up into this 40 foot boat. It obviously isn't at sea level and takes quite a climb. I am young and had a little difficulty but this isn't for someone that has trouble climbing into a boat.

This is all about expectations and ours were not met. We thought we did our research, but we wish we had simply taken the ferry. When one thinks about this evolution and what we were there for, all we really wanted was efficient transportation to the Baths. If you want some rum punch and a sloooow ride back, he is your man.

Nice review from my wife Tammlynn, but I would like add my own observations.

3. Egbert waited about 15 minutes before we left for the tour to inform us that we would not be anchoring close to the Baths and would have to take cab. This was the primary reason we chose him. He knows this is important to us yet waited to tell us the truth.

Thanks for your additional observations. The faster trip to the Baths AND what we understood - getting dropped off at the Baths (instead of a taxi) was one of the major reasons for us to consider another option beside taking the ferry.

I am glad that you posted your experience so we know what to expect and can make an informed decision. If we had gone with Egbert, we would have been disappointed as we had expectations similar to yours.

Mstng, same as I said to your wife, thanks for posting this! It definitely makes me doubt Egbert and leaning toward a ferry... better safe than sorry.

Hope you don't mind, I will link this post into another post where we were discussing Egbert.

We were there at the Baths on the 30th of March. We were the first ones off the boat and as so many have pointed out... we wanted to be the first ones to the Baths. We knew it was spring break and there would be lots of people there... We waited for over an hour for Egbert to drum up more business... He almost got involved in a fist fight as he got one couple to switch their plans with another boat and the DRAMA was on... Before I go any further... This trip will be in my memory for a lifetime...

We were unable to get beached at the Baths due to the weather so we were given a discount rate of $35. We took a taxi to the baths at $3 pp and then paid the entry fee to the Baths. We had a great day at the Baths and the beach is among one of the best we have ever been to.

We enjoyed Mad Dogs world famous BLT's, Presidente's and Pina Coladas... Our group took the same taxi back to the Marina where we met up with the boat and one of Egbert's captains... 16 of us on a scarab with twin 250's. After offering everyone Coke, bottled water and fire water...aka “Rum Punch” we were off...

But before we exited the marina, there was one problem... another scarab coming right at us... In looking back, I felt like both captains were in the middle of the channel and neither one noticed the other boat until it was too late. Last second maneuvers didn't work and we ended up “T-boning” the other boat punching a hole right through the side of it...

Now both captains were furious and we headed back to the Marina...... After a both captains discussed what their next move was we were told to “wait” for Egbert who was 40 minutes away and he would take us back to the ship… we were also told that we had to wait for the police to show up… At this point, the ship was leaving in 1hr and 15 minutes…

Now I’m not a math major but 40 plus 40 equals 1 hr and 20 minutes which means we were going to miss the boat and neither captain cared that we would miss our ship… Their livelihood depends on tourism and they were willing to have 16 people miss their ship.

Luckily one of our group members knew Speedy’s was about a block away and ran to their slip where they agreed to get us on the last ferry… Everyone on the boat “abandoned ship” against the wishes of both parties and paid what they felt like they owed to Egbert’s captain and we all headed out to Speedy’s.

We made it back to the ship with 3 minutes to spare… Luckily Speedy’s last ferry docked us right at the pier so we didn’t have a walk back to the ship…

I would definitely recommend Speedy’s as it was a much smoother ride and the dependability was there. They have a bar on the ferry so you can get a drink to calm your nerves after an eventful day at the beach J

We were there at the Baths on the 30th of March. We were the first ones off the boat and as so many have pointed out... we wanted to be the first ones to the Baths. We knew it was spring break and there would be lots of people there... We waited for over an hour for Egbert to drum up more business... He almost got involved in a fist fight as he got one couple to switch their plans with another boat and the DRAMA was on... Before I go any further... This trip will be in my memory for a lifetime...

We were unable to get beached at the Baths due to the weather so we were given a discount rate of $35. We took a taxi to the baths at $3 pp and then paid the entry fee to the Baths. We had a great day at the Baths and the beach is among one of the best we have ever been to.

We enjoyed Mad Dogs world famous BLT's, Presidente's and Pina Coladas... Our group took the same taxi back to the Marina where we met up with the boat and one of Egbert's captains... 16 of us on a scarab with twin 250's. After offering everyone Coke, bottled water and fire water...aka “Rum Punch” we were off...

But before we exited the marina, there was one problem... another scarab coming right at us... In looking back, I felt like both captains were in the middle of the channel and neither one noticed the other boat until it was too late. Last second maneuvers didn't work and we ended up “T-boning” the other boat punching a hole right through the side of it...

Now both captains were furious and we headed back to the Marina...... After a both captains discussed what their next move was we were told to “wait” for Egbert who was 40 minutes away and he would take us back to the ship… we were also told that we had to wait for the police to show up… At this point, the ship was leaving in 1hr and 15 minutes…

Now I’m not a math major but 40 plus 40 equals 1 hr and 20 minutes which means we were going to miss the boat and neither captain cared that we would miss our ship… Their livelihood depends on tourism and they were willing to have 16 people miss their ship.

Luckily one of our group members knew Speedy’s was about a block away and ran to their slip where they agreed to get us on the last ferry… Everyone on the boat “abandoned ship” against the wishes of both parties and paid what they felt like they owed to Egbert’s captain and we all headed out to Speedy’s.

We made it back to the ship with 3 minutes to spare… Luckily Speedy’s last ferry docked us right at the pier so we didn’t have a walk back to the ship…

I would definitely recommend Speedy’s as it was a much smoother ride and the dependability was there. They have a bar on the ferry so you can get a drink to calm your nerves after an eventful day at the beach J

WOW! I would have been so panicky! Glad you made the ship.

SANDAPUNK, you hit the details RIGHT on the money! My husband, 9 year old son and I were also on the smaller boat that faithful day with you! If I am not mistaken, our son and I were riding up front with you and your family so can attest to the bumpy ride!

What an adventure to be sure... Thanks to Rod who sprinted to locate space on Speedy's Ferry or we would have been in a real bind. I agree that the Ferry was far more comfortable and smooth on the rough waters. I was there as well when Egbert was trying to persuade the group to go with him vs going to Jost Van Dyke.

It was very nerve wracking and anxiety was high as we attempted to exit the marina and it was seriously like a 'game of chicken' between the boat captains.

We were so relieved to make it back to port and clearly a risk when booking with a non-ship excursion company. We had great luck on the Dominican Republic with Casa Dorado but wouldn't recommend Egbert after our boat ride from you know where...:eek:

Thanks for documenting this memorable day!

We went with Egbert on Apr. 1, 2010 to the Baths. When we found him after getting off the ship, he had already sent one boat off to the Baths. We waited around 15 mins. for him to find enough people to fill a 2nd boat. We had made reservations ahead of time, but others had not (the information tent was recommending him to people who asked). Due to rough surf, he said he couldn't bring us directly to the beach and would take us to the yacht club and had arranged for a taxi to/from the Baths. I was a bit upset about this, but it ended up working out fine. We still got to the Baths way before the crowds and had done the hike though the Baths and were relaxing on the beach before everyone got there. I heard that people were getting very testy by noon due to the crowded conditions. A beautiful place - unlike anything else I've seen. We were with a group of 10 and the pickup/return trip went as planned. The boat ride was fast. We got back to the port with plenty of extra time. We were very happy with this excursion - MUCH better than any of the 3 shore excursions we went on through Carnival.

I have posted on a couple of other Egbert threads but wanted to add here too. I was definitely disappointed and agree completely with other posters who found Egbert not so forthcoming. He knows that people find him using Cruise Critic, because he told me each time I called to confirm our reservation (I use that term loosely because he NEVER asked for my name at the pier and had no way of knowing whether I actually was on one of the boats and I don't think he cared, as long as he fills the boat with people he is happy--so BEWARE a reservation means nothing if others beat you to him).

We also were not dropped at the Baths, the ONLY reason we wanted to use him. And were also NOT told this until we were all comfortably seated on his nice boat.

I agree the Rum punch is added to hopefully make you forget that you didn't get anything that was promised to you.

We were on the 4/4 Caribbean Princess and I hadn't checked this thread again because if I had read the most recent reviews there is NO WAY I would have used Egbert.

Wow--i am so glad that we are booked with Patouche on May 27th! I have never heard anything but good things about their tour!

• 2 weeks later...
Wow--i am so glad that we are booked with Patouche on May 27th! I have never heard anything but good things about their tour!

hello, i just wanted to tell you about egberts., i have just got back from the transatlantic crossing on the thomson destiny. i phoned egberts and arranged for him to collect my partner and i to take us to the baths at virgin gorda. he told me where he would be and what time to meet him outside the gates but he wasnt there. we asked the taxi drivers and they told us to wait, which we did and then after about half an hour told us to get the speedys ferry. we did this but because of the time in port didnt have a lot of time at the baths, the reason we chose egberts is that he said he would put us off at the beach. we were very dissapointed in him, we felt that at least he could have been there or sent someone to tell us he wasnt going to take us.:confused:

Archived