Silversea Doing Local Seafood, Dining Delights???

TLCOhio

Just asked Duct Tape this question as he cruises on the Silver Cloud in South America, but I thought it might be good to check with a wider audience of more experienced Silversea cruisers. Here's the quick question from a couple traveling with us on the July 1-16 Silver Cloud journey along the Norway Coast.

FRESH SEAFOOD? How much of it on this or other Silversea cruises has, will come fresh from that area of the world versus being frozen and/or shipped and loaded earlier from the USA or Europe? Are any dining items offered that really reflect that much of the local food and its special style??? One of our fellow travelers wants to get a good "FLAVOR" for Norway, its local food delights, etc. How does Silversea approach this issue for anything customized to fit these area of the world where you are traveling? Appreciate any insights and feed-back.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Codsicles all around! And Smeltburgers at the lunch buffet!

Okay, Okay, I'll be serious now. On board, I don't remember any local Norwegian foods being served, but that may be because it doesn't appeal to me.

Can you tell?

:D

SS does not generally buy local fish anymore. Always try and go out to lunch for "local flavor".

THANKS, Duck Tape, for this update as you sail north along the Argentina coast! We had planned to do a certain number of those local lunches for that Norway flavor and sampling. I can understand that a cruise ship has to be careful in what it buys and stocks. It's not like stopping at grocery story to buy a couple bags of chips. Look forward to hearing more on your Silver Cloud experiences around Cape Horn. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

duct tape may be more up-to-date than me, but last October in the Mediterranean, fresh fish was on the dinner menu more often than not.

THANKS, jbibbs! I assume "fresh" means from that area and not frozen and/or loaded on the ship at the start of the cruise. Maybe being in the Mediterranean makes it easier for Silversea to get the quality and quantity they need. Look forward to getting more, added feed-back and details from other travelers.

Then, there are the "Big Mackerel", Codsicles and Smeltburgers options, right?

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

On the maiden voyage of the Spirit, they told us they purchased local fish two or three times (off hand, I don't remember the ports).

And a funny, unrelated to fish, story. In St. Barts, they purchased 9,000 pounds of oranges because they were running out!

Silversea and Seabourn both buy and serve fresh local fish.

You can go ashore with the chef on Seabourn and he will buy local produce and cook it for you onboard.

Does Silversea have any such programs or offerings for doing these "Shopping with the Chef" adventures during their cruise port stops? Sounds like fun!!! We did the galley tours on our earlier Seabourn and Crystal cruises and found that to be interesting.

Does Silversea have any such programs or offerings for doing these "Shopping with the Chef" adventures during their cruise port stops? Sounds like fun!!! We did the galley tours on our earlier Seabourn and Crystal cruises and found that to be interesting.

I have never experienced this on Silversea.

On Seabourn the chef fulfilled a request for a local fish. He went to the fish market in Split and purchased it. It was prepared the next evening. I was hoping Silversea would honor a request too.

The chefs on Seabourn are a lot more accommodating and relish the challenge of preparing a custom made dish or two.They like it because it takes them away from the menu that they prepare week after week.

The chefs on Seabourn are a lot more accommodating and relish the challenge of preparing a custom made dish or two.They like it because it takes them away from the menu that they prepare week after week.

Great insight and viewpoint for Seabourn versus Silversea. What does "catch the fancy" of the Silversea chefs and/or they like to do that is special or unique, if asked or requested? What's good to keep in mind or to seek. I assume part of the difference is that many of the Seabourn cruises are seven days, while Silversea seems to do more 11-15 day cruises. Any other factors or background?

THANKS for the info! Keep it rolling! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hi Terry,

I saw you post on the France forum. I was hoping you could help with some questions. First, we are arriving on May 16 in Cannes. Festival and Formula 1 that day.

I tried 3 raved about tour guides for that day. All booked. I did find riviera-prestige tours, they are available, but I know nothing about them. Sadly the cruise ship tours do not sound good. I would very much like to see Eze and then Nice ( and still deal with the tremendous traffic and get back to the ship on time.) We are there from 10am to 8pm.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Nadine

nmesch@fuse.net

Thank you

Hi Terry, I saw you post on the France forum. I was hoping you could help with some questions. First, we are arriving on May 16 in Cannes. Festival and Formula 1 that day. I tried 3 raved about tour guides for that day. All booked. I did find riviera-prestige tours, they are available, but I know nothing about them. Sadly the cruise ship tours do not sound good. I would very much like to see Eze and then Nice ( and still deal with the tremendous traffic and get back to the ship on time.) We are there from 10am to 8pm. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Nadine nmesch@fuse.net Thank you

Hi, Nadine! We did things on our own in those areas and I don't have any magic guides to suggest there. Have you considered or are you able to do things on your own with a car rental? What's your budget, number in your party, travel style, etc.? I can understand that with the other stuff in town, that things can be a little more busy and challenging. Are you sailing on Silversea for this cruise? THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hi, Nadine! We did things on our own in those areas and I don't have any magic guides to suggest there. Have you considered or are you able to do things on your own with a car rental? What's your budget, number in your party, travel style, etc.? I can understand that with the other stuff in town, that things can be a little more busy and challenging. Are you sailing on Silversea for this cruise? THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hi, No, I just looked to where you last posted. There will be 4 of us. I prefer not to rent a car, especially if it will be "that" congested. I just want to see Eze and Nice. See the sites, shop the little boutiques, eat etc... What about a taxi from the dock or would that be waaay to much.

As far as budget- that is hard to say.... lets put it this way. This cruise is a trip of a lifetime. we cannot go extravagant but at the same time we want to experience what we can.

I assume part of the difference is that many of the Seabourn cruises are seven days, while Silversea seems to do more 11-15 day cruises.

THANKS for the info! Keep it rolling! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry,looking at the two lines,both offer week long and 14-20 day voyages.The Silver Spirit is doing seven day Med cruises in the summer just like the Odyssey but the new Sojourn is doing 12 and 14 day Baltic cruises.There is a fair mix of voyages for both at present.It is making it hard for me as I try to decide which to go for,and the fact that i've done them all before.

Hi, No, I just looked to where you last posted. There will be 4 of us. I prefer not to rent a car, especially if it will be "that" congested. I just want to see Eze and Nice. See the sites, shop the little boutiques, eat etc... What about a taxi from the dock or would that be waaay to much. As far as budget- that is hard to say.... lets put it this way. This cruise is a trip of a lifetime. we cannot go extravagant but at the same time we want to experience what we can.

Things are busy in this general area. In part, it depends on where you dock and what all you want to do. If you were just going in the "country" direction, then you would not need to worry as much on some of the traffic questions. From Cannes, per MapQuest.com, it takes about 44 minutes to cover the 32.50 miles in going to Eze. Whatever you would do, especially to be time efficient, will involve some cost. Do any of the ship tours seem possible? For Nice, do you just want to drive around there or are you aiming to see and do certain things in particular? From the Eze tourism website, they suggest this company for a chauffeur driven car service: Turgot Limousine Service - 33(0)6 22 22 25 38 contact@turgot-limousine.com, http://www.turgot-limousine.com/

I keep checking and contracting different transportation options. I would also check the France section of the Europe ports section of this Cruise Critic site for other past posts on seeing Eze, Nice, etc.

We loaded fresh fish in Montevideo yesterday. Assume it will be on the menu this evening. Now in Buenos Aires, turnover port. There are 23 of us in transit. Weather the last few days has been fairly drab...rain, a little sun, more rain. Occasionally guests get to go shopping with the Chef. It usually depends on the Chef.

We loaded fresh fish in Montevideo yesterday. Assume it will be on the menu this evening. Now in Buenos Aires, turnover port. There are 23 of us in transit. Weather the last few days has been fairly drab...rain, a little sun, more rain. Occasionally guests get to go shopping with the Chef. It usually depends on the Chef.

THANKS! Good and helpful information!! Clearly, it all depends on the Chef and the market/supply options available at each port. Sorry your weather has been better. Look forward to hearing more on Buenos Aires, one of my favorite cities. Unique and very different in that one of a kind city. Say HI to Evita and Juan! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived