How much damage is still visible?

DanielBu

Hello,

how much damage caused by hurrican Ivan back in 2004 is still visible? If one is out for nature, should he better go on tours on other islands or is Grenada worth seeing (again)?Thx.Daniel

Germany

The only damage I saw was to homes, that hadn't been rebuilt, because people didn't have insurance.

The jungle seemed un-touched, as we drove 45 minutes to go tubing. We noticed mountain homes dotted along the country side that were still a wreck from the storm. But it didn't take away from the nature.

• 1 month later...

Spiciegirl I dont think it has rained since your last visit so Grenada is no longer Gorgeous and green but rather gorgeous and brown. There are still quite a few of the larger green trees holding strong but the vast majority of 'bush' is now brown. It will however comeback overnight as soon as we get a good long rain.

For those visiting the island is still beautiful and has lots to see.

Hurricane IVAN was October 2004.

We visited family on the island the following May 2005

and found damage to the rain forest still quite noticeable, six mths. later

Parasitic vines were taking full advantage of the opportunity provided by the damage

and were climbing anything vertical they could find.

But this is now 5+ yrs. after the event.

Things repair quickly in tropical heat and Rainy Seasons.

As mentioned above, the big crisis right now is water, due to an intense drought

that has held the entire Caribbean region in a vice-grip now, since October last,

when it should have been absolutely pouring down.

Bring rain when you come: bring nuff water!

Seriously.

Spiciegiirl - it is hot as a hot thing now I can tell you. We had no rainy season and that has been a problem for water supply.

It keeps trying to rain we get great clouds but I think the land is so hot it is evaporating a lot before it gets to the ground.

We have fires raging in the north now and there is a major water shortage across the island with everyone being cut off from supply from 10a.-5pm for about 4 days in the week.

It really is bad now. Pray for rain!! oh and rain dance too but according to sum you need rum in you to really make that one work:D

Spiciegiirl - it is hot as a hot thing now I can tell you.

We had no rainy season and that has been a problem for water supply. ===> Barbados too!

It keeps trying to rain

-we get great clouds but I think the land is so hot it is evaporating a lot before it gets to the ground.

We have fires raging in the north now and there is a major water shortage across the island

with everyone being cut off from supply from 10a.-5pm

for about 4 days in the week. ===> Only our 3 desal. plants have saved us from that inconvenience!

It really is bad now. Pray for rain!!

oh and rain dance too but according to sum, you need rum in you to really make that one work:D

Well, boy?

Monday the 15th. Barbados was fortunate to have a small cloud mass come and perch over the island

for pretty much the whole day -and I had 1 inch and 10 parts out of it!

Bajans (the hydro-phobic nation!) were actually glad for rain, for once! if you can believe that!

A friend in Christ Church had 1 inch and 25 parts, so we had a lickle ting that has saved us for a short while

but already it is drying-back.

At least my lime tree looks like it might make it thru, until the rains come again, in Yr. 2012!! :D

Doh mek joke so, nah?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Aplmac how's it going?

We actually had rain for a few days back and now the maintains are at least green again. Methinks it must be filling up Grand Etang too as water restrictions seem to have stopped - phew.

Roll on the rains though before dry season come early :cool:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived