Waldorf-Astoria

ColumbiaSC

Is the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel still one of the listed preferred hotels by Cunard when one wants to book an airport/hotel/pier transfer. I am interested in the January 13th, 2011, sailings of the Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, and the Queen Elizabeth. In 2008 the Waldorf has reception rooms reserved for the passengers of each of the then three Queens. Will this be the case in 2011?

Is the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel still one of the listed preferred hotels by Cunard when one wants to book an airport/hotel/pier transfer. I am interested in the January 13th, 2011, sailings of the Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, and the Queen Elizabeth. In 2008 the Waldorf has reception rooms reserved for the passengers of each of the then three Queens. Will this be the case in 2011?

Hello Don, Happy New Year to you. I am sure that it is a Cunard partner as plenty of people were staying there from the ship last year.

If your thinking of staying in the once great hotel, PLEASE google reviews,

We stayed for a week in 2007 and yes it is a wonderful building, but not a good hotel, others may say the same or different so as for any hotel I stay in, get reviews

We stayed in early 2008, very disappointing. Cannot speak for the suites but once past the grand but frenetic public rooms it is/was just your basic NYC hotel room, small and ill lit, certainly no big deal. But check the reviews, one man's meat etc...

Ratty

I have no idea what the rooms are like but last September on the advice of our guide we went into the public areas which are rather grand.

I was disappointed though to see people sitting in the elegant chairs, with their brown paper bags of takeaway breakfast. It wasn't what I expected.

However, if there are special events for the Queens' passengers, then that would add to the whole experience.

Thanks, all, for your suggestions and sound advice and greetings from capnpugwash. I am interested in the Waldorf if it is "hosting" certain passengers --- certain transfer passengers to the Queen Mary 2 on Jan 13, 2011, as I am to be on that World Voyage. (All three Cunard Queens will again be in NYC for the grand departure on Jan 13, 2011.) The Waldorf was one of the three "official" hotels used by Cunard in 2008 for such passengers. The Waldorf did lay on big spreads in three separate large reception halls for those travelling on each of the three Queens. I just wondered if anyone knew if the Waldorf was to function again in the capacity in 2011. I must call Cunard today and see what the horse's mouth says!

I am booked into the Waldorf for one night prior to May 21 sailing on QM2. Have had difficulty accessing the official site for the hotel, but that may be my machine.

I would be interested in finding out menus for the two restaurents - with prices, tried site, but only found misleading info. viz Croque Madame listed as Tomatoe soup for about $18 , I know the dish is not tomatoe soup, and if a bowl of soup is being offered at that price I shudder to think of the cost of any other dish.

Can any one here advise on their experieince of eating at the Waldorf, dinner and breakfast would be of great help/

I am booked into the Waldorf for one night prior to May 21 sailing on QM2. Have had difficulty accessing the official site for the hotel, but that may be my machine.

I would be interested in finding out menus for the two restaurents - with prices, tried site, but only found misleading info. viz Croque Madame listed as Tomatoe soup for about $18 , I know the dish is not tomatoe soup, and if a bowl of soup is being offered at that price I shudder to think of the cost of any other dish.

Can any one here advise on their experieince of eating at the Waldorf, dinner and breakfast would be of great help/

Lynn, as I'm sure you know, restaurants in New York City are very expensive. You can go to http://www.menupages.com and find the menu for almost any restaurant in New York City. At the top of the page there is a link for the restaurant name. Type the restaurant name and click on that link and the information about the restaurant will come up. There is a tab at the top of the information page to click to find the menu. You can find information for Bull and Bear, Oliver's, and Peacock Alley. Unfortunately, I think you will find all the restaurants in the Waldorf very expensive. Good luck.

Beth

I found the Bull and bear to very good, it is small and intimate, I would if I were book it with breakfast inc, ther eplaces to eat around the hotel but you need to know about them.

You cant go wrong with the Bull & bear though, we had breakfast there every day.

I have to agree with Morrie Tania, she is spot on there, the are many hotels that are much better and a lot less money.

we were so dissapointed-I would never stay there again

Rob6852

Thank you, was the breakfast buffet or a la carte?

Beth, your info very clear, will try that later today. I know New York is not "cheap" but I do like to know what I am going to get for my money before I sit down at the table.

If you want an incredible breakfast with flare from the waitstaff try Norma's in the Parker Meridian. Reservations are recommended and plan to spend around $30 - $35 including tip and tax. Few if any breakfast spots offer a sorbet after the main breakfast course and OJ comes in glasses that require a lifeguard and refills are on the house.

On the other hand if you want a cheap breakfast in NYC that is just like your home diner etc. head over to the far east or west side and most any eatery on the avenues offer breakfast with eggs toast and a breakfast meat for a couple of dollars and as they are self serve from the order counter there is no tip required.

Rob6852

Thank you, was the breakfast buffet or a la carte?

Beth, your info very clear, will try that later today. I know New York is not "cheap" but I do like to know what I am going to get for my money before I sit down at the table.

We had the a la carte menu, the service was good and the food good as well, you can also just step out of the door onto lexington avenue for shops etc.

I would say for you, I would stay in the hotel and use the Bull & bear, it really is very good, Mammoth portions wont suit you at all . enjoy your stay, My tip is be forceful and polite at reception and ask for an upgrade room.get what you have paid for.

Peacock alley is great cocktail area.

Be sure to go up to the 3 rd floor and see the silver corridor

Wait! Read today's post from trailblazer about their experience with a Cunard transfer from the Waldorf-Astoria to the ship--you may want to change your plans and go with a cab or car service. Good luck.

I could not find trailblazer's posting, where did you see it please. I would really like to read it.

Transfers are like the ship, it depends on- a/ the transport itself, and -b/ the rep who is at the hotel. These change every time, some are good, and some are downright horrible. and it does not seem to matter which hotel you are at.

This time I am going by cab, as recomended by posters on this board.

as no one has mentioned it.--- spent 5 nights at this hotel in 2006. had breakfast every morning in oscars. first morning the buffet. there after it was al a carte. the food, very good. service very friendly and efficient. perhaps a little expensive, but on holiday, worth it. regards, mike.:)

The hotel breakfast will run to $35 to $40 each, you can walk 100 yards outside to any number of Diners and get the same food but with real people around you and it will only cost you $10 to $15 for a slap up meal. To me there is no choice, I will always hit the streets.

I'm with you, capnpugwash! Breakfast somewhere in the vicinity is fine with me. But one can't sleep in the streets. So, the gist of all I have said is that I would like to spend one measly night in the Waldorf-Astoria before embarking on the Queen Mary 2 the next day, January 13th, 2011. It certainly is not Siberia. It is not even the Red Roof Inn. It is "old glove." So I intend to bust a gut to be there, whether or not it is as good as it once was or not. Nothing is as good as it once was --- my God, I am 71 years old. LOL.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

Don, a young 71 if I may be so bold. I always try to stay in the nicest place possible and the WA was nice at one time, now it is a bit tired and old but aren't we all. I stayed there once and have no wish to repeat, but it was OK not great, very few places live up to one's expectations though.

I'm with you, capnpugwash! Breakfast somewhere in the vicinity is fine with me. But one can't sleep in the streets. So, the gist of all I have said is that I would like to spend one measly night in the Waldorf-Astoria before embarking on the Queen Mary 2 the next day, January 13th, 2011. It certainly is not Siberia. It is not even the Red Roof Inn. It is "old glove." So I intend to bust a gut to be there, whether or not it is as good as it once was or not. Nothing is as good as it once was --- my God, I am 71 years old. LOL.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

Cant say fairer than that, Thats one of the reasons we stayed there, to say we had done it-having done it, I would not do it again-there are nicer hotels for less money, better value for money.

Once you get in the elevator and then step out on to your floor you see what I mean, as I said it is a shame that this amazing, beautiful iconic hotel has been allowed to slide downwards.

If you can get a good deal on the place then go for it, and enjoy

The hotel breakfast will run to $35 to $40 each, you can walk 100 yards outside to any number of Diners and get the same food but with real people around you and it will only cost you $10 to $15 for a slap up meal. To me there is no choice, I will always hit the streets.

This is very true, but dont look too close, I always look for the busy places you can hope they are clean,and too us in the UK $35 is not so bad is it???

I could not find trailblazer's posting, where did you see it please. I would really like to read it.

Transfers are like the ship, it depends on- a/ the transport itself, and -b/ the rep who is at the hotel. These change every time, some are good, and some are downright horrible. and it does not seem to matter which hotel you are at.

This time I am going by cab, as recomended by posters on this board.

I'm sorry; I don't know how to add a link, but it is the thread labeled "QM2". The post was by someone who stayed at the Waldorf-Astoria for two days and then took a Cunard transfer to the ship. It did not go well, with the bus dropping them off at a very inconvenient location

Archived