Waldorf-Astoria

ColumbiaSC

From the clock in the lobby to the wonderful suites! I love the hotel!

We have stayed many, many times! Love it! Sunday brunch is a work of art!

The breakfast place on the ground floor towards the back of the hotel is wonderful. Yes pricey but more than worth it!

The rooms are old but old NYC elegant! It is not the W which is modern and built for today.

The Michelangelo, an Italian hotel is nearby and quite nice. Also old and elegant.

I am booked into the Waldorf for one night prior to May 21 sailing on QM2. Have had difficulty accessing the official site for the hotel, but that may be my machine.

I would be interested in finding out menus for the two restaurents - with prices, tried site, but only found misleading info. viz Croque Madame listed as Tomatoe soup for about $18 , I know the dish is not tomatoe soup, and if a bowl of soup is being offered at that price I shudder to think of the cost of any other dish.

Can any one here advise on their experieince of eating at the Waldorf, dinner and breakfast would be of great help/

These older hotels and restaurants are all icons, from the time that icons weren't little blobby thing on your computer and so should not be forgotten. It is difficult for them to modernize because of the cost but they look so old and tired and when I am in NYC I just want something that is a little less faded. Problem is, my favourite area is Central Park South and all the reasonable hotels ther have been turned into Condominium Buildings.

From the clock in the lobby to the wonderful suites! I love the hotel!

We have stayed many, many times! Love it! Sunday brunch is a work of art!

The breakfast place on the ground floor towards the back of the hotel is wonderful. Yes pricey but more than worth it!

The rooms are old but old NYC elegant! It is not the W which is modern and built for today.

The Michelangelo, an Italian hotel is nearby and quite nice. Also old and elegant.

I agree with almost all, except the rooms are not elegant nut very worn and tired and you will get better rooms else where, there are sites were people say whats what and would just read the reviews before you judge for yourself.

True that one person sees as it as NYC elegant and another sees as old and tired, we cant all be the same.

Capt, my pc icons are wonderful, I change them when they get tired lol

So, if not the Waldorf which hotel do you recommend?

Google The New York Palace Hotel and check reviews on tripadvisor. Prices range from high $200's to mid $400's dependent upon dates and online sites that you check for rates. The location is great and a "very picky" friend stayed there recently and highly recommends it.

Another option with wonderfully comfotable beds and a great view of New York Harbor is the Ritz Carlton at Battery Park. We really enjoyed it.

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/BatteryPark/Default.htm

I agree, it's a great hotel and not nearly as expensive as the Ritz-Carlton in Central Park or other top-level hotels in the Times Square area. Battery Park is not the best location for sightseeing, though; there is not that much in the area (except the ferry to the Statue of Liberty).

Hotels I have liked near Times Square and within walking distance of Broadway shows, 5th Avenue shopping, and other sights are the Marriott Marquis, Westin Times Square, and Sofitel.

If you are not that interested being in the Times Square area, the Ritz-Carlton at Battery Park can't be beat.

Native New Yorker here. One hotel I often reccomed to friends is The Lowel. It's on 63rd Street just off Madison Avenue. Very small, quite luxurious; a beautiful old apartment building converted into a luxury hotel many moons ago. It can be quite expensive, but a suite with fireplace and terrace is about as elegant and exclusive an accomodation as NYC has to offer.

• 3 months later...
Hi,

Is Waldorf-Astoria far from QM 2 docking in New York ? Can anyone give me a piece of advice how to get there once QM docks in NY ?

It is closer to the Manhattan Terminal but it is not far from Brooklyn either, Park Avenue and 49th street. The best way to get there is by cab. It is a very grand hotel but it is very old, big and has seen better days imho. For what staying there will cost there are better options I believe. Look at www.tripadvisor.com

Thank you very much. We would like to have lunch in Waldorf=Astoria only, as we will be on a roundtrip TA and have to be back on QM 2. Is there any restaurant in Waldorf=Astoria you could recommend (Peacock Alley ?)

It really depends upon what kind of food you want. All that I would say is that there are thousands of good restaurants and maybe hundreds of great ones in New York so it seems a shame to eat in a Hotel Dining Room. If you name what you want to eat I am sure that the recommendations from people who have eaten there will come flooding in.

I was quite disappointed with the Waldorf-Astoria - I suppose it is one of those iconic places, and sometimes they just can't live up to the image (although I have found a few that do).

When we stay in NY through Cunard we always stay at the Marriott Marquiss now - it isn't everyone's cup of tea (and we are in our late 30s so this may have something to do with it) but being right on Times Square is fantastic, and the lifts are great fun :D

If you are prepared to pay top dollar for a NY hotel I think The Mark is far better than The W-A or, if money is no object whatsoever, go for the Mandarin Oriental (only stayed one night there though - rediculous prices!)

Thank you very much. We would like to have lunch in Waldorf=Astoria only, as we will be on a roundtrip TA and have to be back on QM 2. Is there any restaurant in Waldorf=Astoria you could recommend (Peacock Alley ?)

Hello Spasowski,

I fully understand your desire to stop at the Waldorf, and thought I'd ask a friend who has been there for suggestions. Here's his response:

"I have only eaten in the Bull and Bear (not open for lunch) and Oscars (which is a bit casual). However Peacock Alley appears to do a nice looking lunch and of course the Foyer is the best part of the hotel. Everything I have eaten there has been good, but nothing has been especially good value. That latter point is, I presume, irrelevant to him.

Goes without saying that Brunch would be the option if they are in NYC on a Sunday."

There are a myriad of places to eat well in New York, but there's only one Waldorf Astoria...

Bon Appétit!

Captain Pugwash is correct, there are so many different restaurants to choose from I would not eat in one of the hotels unless it was necessary. Lunch favourite for me is at "Angelo's" which is on 58th around 6th I think, it is close to the director theatre. This is a casual italian reastaurant but offers great pizzas and salads and is great for a full or light lunch in a great atmosphere.

Enjoy wherever you go, I am sure you will find something to please your taste buds!

PS one of the most surprising meals we ever had in New York was at a Scottish restaurant when we could not get into Virgils BBQ restaurant, we did eventually get to Virgils and would prefer the Scotts one anyway!!!

Merci, NomDePlume, du fond de mon coeur. Thanks very much for this reply.

But tell me - I assume I can have lunch in the Waldorf not being hotel guest ? I am not very familiar with US standards, but here in Poland you can enter any hotel restaurant and don't have to be hotel guest....

But tell me - I assume I can have lunch in the Waldorf not being hotel guest ? I am not very familiar with US standards, but here in Poland you can enter any hotel restaurant and don't have to be hotel guest....

Yes, in the US you can dine in any hotel dinning room (unless its a private club hotel) without being guests including the Waldorf.

Il n'y a pas de quoi--don't mention it.

John Paul gave you the right answer--enjoy New York! :cool:

Archived