Sushi as much as you can eat?

newjerseygeorge

I am going on the NCL Gem over Easter with my daughter and want to find out if at the Sushi restuarant, it is an all you can eat place. I plan to pig out but not sure it is an all you can eat. Will they restrict you to one or two or three servings? Should I just order all the plates upfront or order until I am full. I know this is not a free restuarant but rather costs $15 maybe $20 if the price went up the first of the year. I am going to get my monies worth either way. :D

Do they offer other Japanese (or Asian) foods in addition to sushi? I like to eat sushi but enjoy eating it with other types of food too.

Thanks in advance!

If it is set up like the Pearl, which I think it is, you have a Teppanyaki restaurant, an upscale Chinese place, the Sushi place, and a place serving Mongolian Hot Pot soups, etc....

You will not be disappointed...

All of the Asian restaurants are separate but physically they're all grouped together in the same area of the ship. Each venue (Teppanyaki, Asian fusion, Sushi/Sashimi, and Mongolian hot pot) has its own surcharge. Some people have reported being able to order some of the sushi while dining in the Asian fusion restaurant. I'm sure that's entirely up to the discretion of the wait staff that you happen to draw.

Here's a link to all of the MDR menus and all of the surcharge restaurant menus from my Jewel sailing back in Sept 2009. The Gem's specialty restaurant menus should be very similar. Not sure about the MDR menus.

http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/johnql/Jewel%20Trans-Atlantic%202009/Jewel%20TA%202009%20Food%20and%20Menus/

And for those who don't want to go to the link or who are just interested in the Sushi place (since that's the topic at hand), here's the menu from the Jewel's Sushi restaurant. Again, the Gem should be very similar if not identical.

IMG_0307.jpg

To "mix" menus, we usually dine as a family, with two ordering from the sushi menu, and two ordering from the Asian menu. Then we just put it all on the table and dig in. I have noticed that the "medium rolls" are using far more rice than before and on the Jade they weren't able to adjust it for us - just told us to order off the "thin rolls" instead (not the same). The sashimi has been surprisingly excellent every time (wouldn't expect it from a long cruise and frozen fish).

Robin

Archived