San Juan Flights

caribb23

We are thinking of going on the Carnival Victory cruise out of San Juan. We love the cruise, and how affordable it is, but we have never taken a cruise out of Puerto Rico. We have visted Puerto Rico several times before though. On my searches, the roundtrip flights out of New York/Boston are very expensive. For 2, I found $700 altogether. How are the hotels? We want to fly in the night before and leave the day the cruise ends. Most of the times are very inconviencing. Around 10am - 2pm is the time we would prefer flying home. They are very expensive..:mad:

Can you guys tell me all the information i would need?

What is the closest (rating doesn't matter) hotel to the cruise port?

What is the cheapest flights you can find?

How safe is San Juan at night for 12 year old and 47 year old women?

Hows the cruise terminal in San Juan, is it fast/easy?

Have any tips for us?

Thanks!! I really appreciate it!

Just by checking Orbitz for random dates (Selected Mar 19-27) was able to find JetBlue for $290/pp and Spirit for $242/pp from LGA to SJU. Might be worth a check with your dates.

Closest hotel by far is the Sheraton. But it is rather small for a Sheraton and the night before a cruise is usually the most expensive nights. The Marriott and the Condado Hilton are huge and relatively close to the port.

Old San Juan (where the port is) is relatively safe, but for just the two of you, I would excercise due caution. (Similar to walking near Columbus Circle at night or down 8th from CC)

However your schedule means that you will miss a lot of what San Juan has to offer. Particularly Old San Juan. El Morro and Fort San Cristobal are both well worth and hour or two each. The shopping in Old Town is great. (And for a 12yo female, I would also look into the "Princess Walk" below El Morro--starts at the west end of the waterfront and winds almost a mile to the El Morro--home of many of Old San Juan's feral cats. Cute but wild)

The butterfly museum is cool. As is the Puerto Rico Crafts center.

I would come in a day or more early and leave a day or two after the cruise. (less problems with flights too.)

For other things to do, check CC's Ports board.

San Juan AP can be a mess b/c there are so many cruise ships. Don't think anything is going to be easy. The cheaper the flight, the less likely you can make it. Especially b/c it's international travel, give yourself a lot of time to get through customs & TSA. They never have enough machines at SJU.

we are thinking of going on the carnival victory cruise out of san juan. We love the cruise, and how affordable it is, but we have never taken a cruise out of puerto rico. We have visted puerto rico several times before though. On my searches, the roundtrip flights out of new york/boston are very expensive. For 2, i found $700 altogether. How are the hotels? We want to fly in the night before and leave the day the cruise ends. Most of the times are very inconviencing. Around 10am - 2pm is the time we would prefer flying home. They are very expensive..:mad:

my daughter and i are flying out of boston on us-air. I booked my flights back in may for just under $300 rt. She booked hers in november or december for over $600 rt. If you have time, book as early as possible. I recommend booking with the on-line agency where they offer you a price guarantee and will refund the difference if the price drops.

what is the closest (rating doesn't matter) hotel to the cruise port?

depending on time of year/weather concerns, there may be no reason to spend the money to fly in a day ahead. San juan is not really all that safe at night, so you'd probably be stuck in your hotel room. Hotels in san juan are pricey. I did the pre-cruise one-nighter on a previous cruise. With ships departing between 8pm and 10pm, if you can get a non-stop, early morning flight, you should have no problem flying day of the cruise. I'm doing that next month. My plane will reach san juan around 1:30 - plenty of time to get to the ship. The pier is very close to the airport.

what is the cheapest flights you can find?

How safe is san juan at night for 12 year old and 47 year old women?

Hows the cruise terminal in san juan, is it fast/easy?

some people have complained about pushy porters who want to grab your bags in exchange for a big tip. I've really had no problems boarding in san juan. In fact, my san juan cruises have been my easiest embarkations!

have any tips for us?

Thanks!! I really appreciate it!

enjoy!

We love San Juan, last year we stayed at Da House in Old San Juan, it was about a 6 block walk to the cruise port, downhill one way up hill the other way. We felt safe in OSJ, there is so much to see and do there. The port is very easy to get to and you can get there, put your stuff in your cabin, then get off the ship again and still have several hours to visit the old city, steps away from the port. The walk with all the cats is fun. Seeing the forts is amazing.

San Juan AP can be a mess b/c there are so many cruise ships. Don't think anything is going to be easy. The cheaper the flight, the less likely you can make it. Especially b/c it's international travel, give yourself a lot of time to get through customs & TSA. They never have enough machines at SJU.

Just an FYI, San Juan is not considered international travel for us U.S. citizens since it is part of the US. Yes, the airport isn't the quickest to go through. You will have customs when you disembark the ship.

For the OP:

Hotels are not cheap in San Juan. Check out the Ports of Call boards (accessible w/ the drop-down 'Forum Jump' box at the bottom of this page) (one way to get there) and at the top of the San Juan board is a sticky on Priceline bidding for San Juan. We have used Priceline many times and have been very happy with our results.

Here is a link to a map which shows a lot of information for the area around the piers and OSJ. (Victory docks at one of the piers on the OSJ side of the harbor; RCI and Celebrity dock across at the Pan Am Pier.) If you click on the names of the hotels, you will link to their websites. http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp

In OSJ, just keep with the crowds and you will be fine. We love that old city; you feel like you are in Europe with the narrow cobblestone streets.

Flights pricing is really all over the place right now...just keep checking or hire a travel agent (sometimes they can get good deals

What is the closest (rating doesn't matter) hotel to the cruise port?

Sheraton Old San Juan...nice hotel & nice area...right across the street from cruise dock.

How safe is San Juan at night for 12 year old and 47 year old women?

Old San Juan is pretty safe...Last year I walked around by my self because I had a bad craving for a chocolate shake and hubby was too tired (28yo female)

Have any tips for us?

I personally recommend staying not only a day before but a day after...it gives you time to relax before a day of non stop travel home...also sometimes you can get better flight prices this way.

Hope this helps!!!:)

Just did a really quick check on Jet Blue from both JFK and BOS for the times you need to go... and you're right, if you want to leave SJU after 10am, the prices go up!! But the price you quoted seems good, IF you're willing to leave early am from SJU - course in order to do that you will have to stay over-night and take an early flight next day. So, seems like you have to do the math and decide total costs ie. higher air later in the day, or hotel + lower air the next day. The cost to get to SJU doesn't seem to change much no matter what time you want to go. Like I said, I only checked Jet Blue, could be others ??

It's not so much flying in a day or two before the cruise (which you should absolutely do!). It's flying home the day the cruise ends (usually a Sunday) which makes the air price so expensive, as there are typically more than one ship unloading passengers who all want to fly out the day the cruise ends. If you can stay a day or two AFTER your cruise, you might get a better air deal, but the cruise terminal/beach hotels are expensive. We've stayed in some nice B&B type motels/inns in downtown San Juan that were decently priced. The San Juan airport is a real zoo - long lines for everything, and lots of confusion. The best experience I've had was flying in and out of SJU in August, when cruise ships aren't doing the Southern itin. (Hotter than helck!!) The good news is that if you have ATT, you can use your cell phone with no roaming charges. Good luck to you!

• 3 weeks later...

I always use( ita search )for flights. Google- ita search or http://www.itasoftware.com. Click the box to the left that says search airfare and then just add your info and it will list all flights for your area and their pricing. You cannot purchase from this site but you can see all airlines pricing and flight numbers. Then all you do is go to the airline site with best price and book. It saves so much time for me. Hope it helps!

Archived