My Cruise on 1-18 to 1-22 on the Paradise!

smashedpumpkins

Well let me just say wow! This was my wife and I's first cruise and it sure was a nasty one. A few weeks ago California and up the coast had some bad storms and some record rain fall. Our itinerary was to head from Long Beach port to Catalina and Ensenda. Once we got there we found out that because of the storms they had to completely change our itinerary. We ended up going from the port Monday morning and arriving in Cabo on Wednesday morning and leaving Cabo Wednesday afternoon. (A whopping 7 hours of port time and a few hours of that was just getting on and off the ship) Now Cabo is better then Ensenada, but we really wanted some more shore time.

The first couple days to Cabo was pretty fun. We ran all around the ship exploring everything. The weather was pretty cold and foggy most of the time. It was a little wavy, but nothing too bad for the two of us. Cabo was 70 degrees blue skys and great out. We really enjoyed it.

However.....! The trip back was horrible! Haha. I didn't get sick, but my Wife was sick the entire way back. We had waves 20-30 feet tall. It was a roller coaster the entire way back. The top deck and back was closed most of the time back because of 75mph winds and jumps of even higher winds. We were in a Pent Suite for our honey moon. I enjoyed watching the waves on the balcony a lot. When the waves from the ship hit the ocean waves they splashed sky high past me and almost to the deck. The cruise announcer mentioned that he'd been working on ships for 12 years and that this cruise was in his top 4 worst cruises. We had other cruisers mention they'd never been on a cruise like this. 1/3 of the staff was sick!

The food was alright, but I never really got to try it all. We missed dinner half the nights. (When we did make it we waited over an hour for our food) I usually found myself running out to the Paris deck to get food by myself. I used the room service a lot ha. Mini Golf and basketball were impossible to play. You'd seriously walk down a busy area and everyone would shift 3 steps to the right or left.

Really overall it was an interesting experience. I didn't do as much as I'd have liked too. My wife doesn't want to ever cruise again. I'd definitely do it again some day. But it'll be Summer for sure. I've just got to convince her to go again. For now I think we'll be flying to our vacation spots.

A coworker of my wife's was also on that cruise and said the same thing you said. They were really jazzed that they were going to Cabo then regretted it coming home. Sick in bed for the better half of the rest of the trip. It was just bad luck that you picked a cruise during one of the worst week of storms California has had in recent memory.

Hi SmashedPumpkins--

We were getting off the ship as you were getting on. Sorry you guys had horrible weather. Please let your DW that she has experinced some of the worst the sea has to offer. Usually we don't get weather like that.

Inland here we got a year's worth of rain in 4 days.

You now have a great travel story to tell.;):p:rolleyes:

Archived