Rome hotel suggestions

gagirl7143

I will be staying at the Alimandi Vaticano: http://www.alimandivaticanohotel.com

It is located right near the Vatican and they even provide cheap airport transportation and free hot breakfast. They have received very good reviews. I have not stayed there yet myself, but it was highly recommended by someone on my roll call who has stayed there before.

We've stayed several times post cruise at the Hotel Lancelot, also near the Colleseum. Great staff, good comp. breakfast, super reviews on Trip Advisor. Small place, maybe 50 rooms. Reasonable price for Rome. Book early and ask for a room with a verandah!

The Hotel Smeraldo near Campo di'Fiori and only ten minutes from the Pantheon and Piazza Navona is a good budget hotel in a great location.

We stayed there five nights three years ago and another five nights post-cruise in June, and loved the location, near restaurants, the "Old Rome" atmosphere and just five minutes walk from the Largo Argentina transportation hub, which is super for catching the city buses to anywhere or the tram to Trastevere.

For 130 Euros per night (pluse 7 Euros for breakfast), it was a good deal. Clean, good soundproofing, good a/c and a small elevator.

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at Hotel Quirinale in Rome for 4 nts precruise in Nov 2009. It is a lovely traditional hotel on Via Nationale. Great location for cabs or public transportation. Beautiful large buffet breakfast each morning, piano bar in the evening in main reception area. Our room was 20'x20'--no kidding. Check out Tripadvisor reviews or Orbitz. Pictures posted were just as hotel presented itself. Would definitely stay there again!

I know you asked for a hotel, but when we went for a few days before our cruise, we rented a flat through VRBO in Trastevere. (They have other rentals throughout the city.)

It was a little out of the central area, but we walked almost everywhere. It was in a centuries old building, but recently remodeled, and there was laundry hanging over the alley. We felt like we were in with the local people. My husband and a neighbor had simultaneous monologs in English and Italian each morning. (Beyond Buon Giorno, I think not much was understood.) On weekends some of the buildings that looked like apartments set up tables in the alley and served dinner. It was a memorable experience.

hotel artemide on via ****onale.

delicious breakfast - with scrambled eggs !

great location - close to the subway and all other central sites within walking distance.

safe area - away from the hustle and bustle of termini station.

I can recommend Albergo (Hotel) Del Senato (Nov2006), which is about as central as you can get.

It's on the lovely Piazza della Rotunda.

I could almost touch the front of the Pantheon from my balcony!

There are many websites to rent apartments from ..... we have used vrbo before but this one is the best one I have found so far.....

www.rentalinrome.com

For a 6 day stay I would definately rent an apartment. You would have your own kitchen (for coffee and breakfast in your jammies) and even lunch or dinner when not going out. Eating out CAN be expensive in Rome. I would choose one near Campo di Fiori or Piazza Navonna/Pantheon. The market at Campo di Fiori would be a wonderful source of fresh goodies. Not to mention this is a central location for walking to all the sites.

Save some $$$ and get an apartment :)

Archived