Souvenirs in Japan

gerton

Hello,

What - reasonably inexpensive- souvenirs have people purchased in Japan? I would like a kimino- a fake one as I know the real ones are a fortune -and was wondering how much they cost. What little giftie type things were there that are good to bring back for grown kiddies etc.?

You need to do a bit more research on the subject.

"Real" Kimonos are not necessarily very expensive in Japan - unless you are looking for a new Wedding or Formal Kimono. Those can cost many thousands of dollars.

Department Stores rent out these expensive kimonos - just like a tuxedo rental in the West. These spectacular rental kimonos are usually sold after just a few uses - often at ridiculously low prices. The department stores have periodic sales announcements for this. You could Google the different Japanese Department Store websites to get more information.

Obis - the elegant silk "belts" that are wrapped around kimonos - are quite good bargains in Japan. They can be used as wall hangings, table decorations, or re-cycled into other types fo clothing.

Instead of a kimono, how about a yukata? This is the everyday cotton version of a kimono. Some are really beautiful, and not at all expensive.

"Jinbei" are Japanese pajamas. These are often worn around the house - and even sometimes outside - all day long. They are great values at Department Stores.

There is nothing in the world that compares to a Japanese Department Store. The food halls alone on the lowest floors are worth the trip.

Shopping at Narita airport is great. They offer a wide selection of souvenirs to take home. How about Mochi? This is a Japanese sweet made from pounded rice. Beautifully packaged and delicious. Very hard to find outside Japan.

Thank you- a yukata sounds like what I am looking for and I will keep an eye out for the mobi. That sounds like a great idea. We never do a lot of shopping when we are away but always like to bring something back.

We were in Japan for two weeks last summer, and I bought a variety of things, both for myself and for gifts. Some ideas:

Yukata (already mentioned, but get one for yourself too)

Fans -- they have all kinds and price ranges. Kids love the ones with Japanese anime (cartoon) characters painted on them.

Boxes -- I collect small boxes from places where I've traveled, and I got several in Japan because they are so unusual. I got a lacquer box (very traditional), painted papier mache box, and an inlaid wood box -- the wood is beautiful.

Small brass temple bells

Chopsticks

Silk or cotton scarves with traditional Japanese prints

Woodblock prints

The good thing is that none of these take up much room in a suitcase!

Enjoy Japan....we loved it.

You can purchase used ones..they have the family mark and can not be use by other Japanese. Summer cotton ones..yukatas ..make great robes.

Small good gifts are key chains..they have great decorations and are good for cell phones etc. They also have bells which are great for locating keys. Sandy B

Did you all eat on shore at all in Japan. What type of restaurant/cafe do you recommend for sampling the local food. We will have lunch included on two of our excursions but was not sure how local that will actually be. Would love to know of anywhere in Kobe harbour- for example -where we could dine- missing the ships dinner that night.

All the larger shrines have a small booth that sell small charms or "tokens" for a variety of wishes or blessings: some for safe driving that you can put in a car; some for students to assure good grades, some for good health. The selection is different from one shrine/temple to another - some are small embroidered pouches, others are charms attached to fancy tassels, some look like bookmarks, etc. - they made for nice, small and portable souvineers given the baggage weight restrictions these days. I also picked up some cute chopstick holders and lacquer chopsticks. More "kitschy" stuff for the kids were magnets and keychains in the shape of mini sushi and sashimi.

Archived