Fishing in Ketchikan (7/1) or Skagway (6/29

Flredhead

Family cruise on the Zuiderdam on June. 13 year old, 71 year old and an iffy 9 year old want to go fishinj. We have 8 hours in Ketchikan but have Totel Poles, Great Lumberjack show and possibility of Ketchkan Ducks for the remaining 7 people.

Skagway is 13 hours in this port. Train rides do not appeal. Would this be a good place for a fishing tour since we are in port longer. Suggestions for non-fisher would be appreciated.:D

Recommendation on Boat fishing tours in either place would be most appreciated. If you have a link or prcies that would also be important the most important this is quality of the trip. Any fish they catch we want cleaned and shipped home to remember the trip.

This is not even close. Ketchikan is a much better fishing port. We have gone with Rick at Explore Alaska Charters that last few years. We have had a blast every time we have gone. Rick has been helpful in finding other good boats for us when we have had large groups.

Went with Northen Lights in early May. On the way back to the dock he through out one small fish we caught to feed the local eagles off the back off the boat. Got this pic.

That is a cool pic! I sent an email to Northern Lights to see if they could accommodate our times but have not heard back from them yet. Were you happy with that tour company and did you catch anything? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Crusinzoe, thanks for the information. I am also conisdering a fishing trip in Ketchikan but for mid-September. Do you think the fishing would still be decent around that time??? Does Northern Lights pick up at the cruise docks? Were they dependable in getting you back on time?? Thanks everyone for your input:confused:

Sanpan, we were there in July so I don't know about September. I'm sure Ken would be able to tell you. He is very honest about what you can catch at what times. He pulls his boat up right near the ship and we met him on the dock then walked to his boat. Very easy. He is very dependable. I highly recommend him.

Another option in Ketchikan is Dan with North Pacific Charters. I am pretty sure all the charter boats are geared for the cruise ship schedules, and the fishing boats leave right from the place where the cruise ships dock. So you will be fine with the hours you have.

We caught 7 salmon last June, and kept 4 to ship back, a total of 22 lbs. Captain Dan also "called" the eagles for me to shoot - in our case, he did it by throwing mackerel bait for them. Here are our pictures.

579303050_mVsMP-S.jpg579302260_X4rri-S.jpg

Another option in Ketchikan is Dan with North Pacific Charters. I am pretty sure all the charter boats are geared for the cruise ship schedules, and the fishing boats leave right from the place where the cruise ships dock. So you will be fine with the hours you have.

We caught 7 salmon last June, and kept 4 to ship back, a total of 22 lbs. Captain Dan also "called" the eagles for me to shoot - in our case, he did it by throwing mackerel bait for them. Here are our pictures.

579303050_mVsMP-S.jpg579302260_X4rri-S.jpg

Thanks for posting the awesome pics! That is amazing...the eagles! I can't wait! We are fishing with Northern Lights tours in Ketchikan so we hope we can get some shots like you did.

I am curious, you mentioned you kept 4 salmon, just wondering, how much that cost you to ship back, and out of 4, how many fillet's did you get out of that? I sure hope we catch something and the waters are not rough. You know with this winter everyone has had, there is no telling!

Thanks for sharing!

They make the salmon into 1-lb. fillets (approx). We got 23 of them. They are individually flash-frozen and sealed in thick plastic pouches. They are sent via Fed-Ex to your home. Picture of how they showed up below.

The captain of your fishing boat will make all the arrangements, you just have to sign some papers on the boat, and give them a credit card. You also tell them when you want them shipped, in case you aren't going straight home.

Cost - I am going on memory here, but it was like $85 for the Fed Ex and $1+ per pound. My total was in the $110-$120 range, which I considered a bargain for wild salmon (not counting the cost of the cruise and excursion, of course:))

shapeimage_2.png

They make the salmon into 1-lb. fillets (approx). We got 23 of them. They are individually flash-frozen and sealed in thick plastic pouches. They are sent via Fed-Ex to your home. Picture of how they showed up below.

The captain of your fishing boat will make all the arrangements, you just have to sign some papers on the boat, and give them a credit card. You also tell them when you want them shipped, in case you aren't going straight home.

Cost - I am going on memory here, but it was like $85 for the Fed Ex and $1+ per pound. My total was in the $110-$120 range, which I considered a bargain for wild salmon (not counting the cost of the cruise and excursion, of course:))

shapeimage_2.png

That is awesome and exactly what I needed to know. The price is what we were expecting. Just looked at the price of Salmon at Sam's this weekend and it was $8 a lb. So approx $5 a lb sounds great, plus I'm sure it's much more fresh.

We are so looking forward to our fishing tour, but we don't want to rush June. March has come way too fast!!

Thanks again for the info. :-)

I would choose Ketchikan over Skagway for fishing hands down. I can recommend Strike Zone Charters, Luke Stamm and his father, Louis, have fished all of their lives out of Ketchikan and Louis now winters just a few doors down from me here in AZ. link

Sanpan, we were there in July so I don't know about September. I'm sure Ken would be able to tell you. He is very honest about what you can catch at what times. He pulls his boat up right near the ship and we met him on the dock then walked to his boat. Very easy. He is very dependable. I highly recommend him.

Thanks so much. We booked with Ken for September. He said that silvers are active at this time. So looking forward to our fishing trip. Hope to ship some salmon home. ;) Thanks for the extra vote of confidence. He was great to talk with and very helpful.:D

Went with Northen Lights in early May. On the way back to the dock he through out one small fish we caught to feed the local eagles off the back off the boat. Got this pic.

You might not want to post this. It is illegal to feed the eagles, especially with a sport caught fish.

Archived