Car Rental in Kailua-Kona

jenny368

Just found out that the Budget in Kona does not provide shuttle service from the cruise ship pier to the rental office. I rebooked my car reservation with Enterprise because they do have shuttle service. No sense paying for a taxi to pick up your rental car. Just wanted to pass this information along.

We just got back from POA (1/9/05). We used Enterprise. They were very quick with the shuttle. The office was only 5 minutes away. Many others were waiting for shuttles to pick them up from the airport which was about 15 minutes away. While completing the paperwork at Enterprise, they must have received 5 calls requesting cars. By then, they had none available. We reserved a mid size and received a 2005 Mazda G6. The employees at Enterprise were very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Enterprise located at 74-5583 Luhia St, Kailua Kona. We reserved a full size car for $32.28 a day (includes rental surcharge and taxes).

We also rented:

Alamo Lihue Airport Kauai. We rented a convertible for $ 56.00 (plus taxes)for the day.

Alamo Hilo Airport. We rented a midsize for 47.22 (includes rental surcharge and taxes)

Alamo Kahului Airport in Maui. We rent a convertible for $53.00 a day.

In Nawiliwili Kauai we kept the car overnight. There is a parking lot right beside the ship. This was a very easy location.

In Maui, we kept the car overnight. By the time we got back to the ship we had to park about 2 blocks from the ship. Not a bad walk. Security guards were around but we felt safe.

I would need to know more about the one on Alii Drive, but everyone here has been talking about the one on Luhia Drive, which is in the "Old Industrial" area as we locals call it. It is up a steep, long hill if anyone is thinking of hoofing it. I personally wouldn't.

Emi

• 3 weeks later...

Okay....I get it now! There is an Enterprise location on Alii Drive but it is miles away at the Keauhou Shopping Center. So, the closest location to the pier would be on Luhia Drive and there is a shuttle and I would not recommend walking, but one could technically do it. It is hot and up a hill - not a great way to spend your day in Kona in my opinion.

Hope that helps!

Emi

• 3 weeks later...

We are having the same problem - Saturday is our port day in Kona too, so I'll be calling taxi companies to see about getting us to Fairwind on time for their morning snorkel cruise that leaves at 9am. The airport car rental places are too far away and the shuttle service last time we were there was not waiting when the tenders started arriving. We wasted a lot of time that day. Seems like Enterprise is the way to go during the week at least.

We rented from Enterprise (the Luhia Drive location) in December. We called when we got off the tender and they sent a shuttle van to pick us up. The price was reasonable and the shuttle was convenient (I absolutely wouldn't attempt to walk there), but there were other car company shuttles picking up passengers to take them to the airport rental locations. I would definitely check with Hertz, Avis, Alamo, etc. about shuttle service.

One warning about Enterprise: they can be very aggressive about selling you insurance coverage and they are known for notifying renters weeks later about supposed damage to the car. Be certain to review every mark on the car carefully and make sure every scratch or stain is marked on the rental sheet before you drive off. If possible, videotape the car outside and inside before leaving and get the rental person in the shot as he reviews the car. It's very difficult to prove you didn't do damage after you get back home.

Hi, we'll be at Kahului on the Carnival Spirit April 25-26. I see most folks like Enterprise. This is our first time, so I have NO idea where rental locations are in relationship to the pier. HELP!!!!

Our plan is to drive as much of Hana Highway as possible, then explore. Any suggestions??

I have AAA's book and have read several of the threads here.

Any help would be MOST appreicated.

Bob

Bob and Sandy - you had me so very confused for a few minutes!! We have locals named Bob and Sandi who live on Maui and I just couldn't figure out why they would be asking this question or if they were just pulling our legs....lol!!!

Anyway, maybe you should make a new thread since this thread is about Kona and more people who might be able to answer your question may look at it if they knew the correct port.

???

Emi :D

Archived