? For Those Who Have Done the Americas Cup

My sister and I are two senior citizens but only chronologically. :)

We have booked the Americas Cup in St. Maarten, however my sister is a wreck because she read RCCL's description that it may involve steep walking, cobblestone walking, etc. Can anyone who has been on it tell me if there will be a problem. We can't swim but have been assured they have life jackets. Should we be worried about anything that might be too difficult for us. I am aware of the boat tilting (as long as there is something to hold onto) and I'm aware you get totally soaked. That's not a problem. Anything else to be concerned about? I would really appreciate hearing opinions.

It is a blast!!! The walking is down the pier, into a tender, and out to your boat. You have the choice of participating, or not. We didn't get wet at all. If you don't help "crew" the race, they make you a time keeper, or a bartender, both not very hard to do LOL. It was a great experience, you will love it, however, try to participate if you are able, makes it that much more fun!!

When we went on this excursion there was a woman who was in a wheel chair. She could stand up to get on the boat, and then she had a seated "job." We had such a marvelous time on this excursion. I rate it as one of the top 10 things I have done in my life. Be sure to take an underwater camera with you. (you won't be underwater, but your camera may get splashed. We did not get soaked.) In fact, I wish I had taken 2 and give one to someone on the competing boat so they could take OUR picture. You all meet back up at the end of the excursion and go to the dock to purchase pictures, t-shirts, etc. You are then taken back to the main dock. Yes, go, go, go!

Oh, I was a "winch wench!"

I did this excursion last May, and had a GREAT time!! The only thing I can add to above posters is that they asked our group about prior experience and then asked about what level of participation you wanted.

You were then 'assigned' a position from winchers ((heavy particapation), to bartender (light) to zero.

...and you WILL want to purchase their (professionally taken) photo at the end (it is that good, and you will have had a blast!!)

It is much, much different in Key West. In St. Marteen, you are on 12 meter sail boats and in Key West on a catamaran. I have done St. Marteen 3 times and would do it again tomorrow, even though it is pricey. In Key West, did it, it was okay, but would not do it again.

Mary, you can do as much or little as you want, from very active, (grinder) to keeping time or bartender. Do it, I don't think you will be sorry.

Karen

we did it in st martin in november and had a blast ... my husband walks with a cane and had no problem getting on or off ... the boat did dip a bit but no one got wet ... a bit of the spray but was refreshing ..... when we dipped a bit you can hold on to ropes and u will want to hold on.... it was a great time........dont miss this one !!! enjoy !!!

First of all, thanks so much for all the info. I called my sister in Vegas today and read her all your comments and she is now happy with it.

the cost is $84 per person. The whole deal is about 3 hours or less. This is what they e mailed me: 19 minutes on the boat being trained, 41 minutes approximate for the race itself, 21 minutes sail back to shore. They then have a rum punch party to celebrate the winners and you visit their museum and souvenier shop where they try to sell you anything they can :)

and yes, it must be booked through RCCL. This was not true with our parasailing which I paid $14. less per person doing it without the cruiseline. Once again, thanks everyone. I am very excited about this excursion.

We did the Americas cup 2 summers ago on a Princess cruise. It is great fun but I don't remember having to hike or walk a long way. You tell the Captain of the boat how "involved" you want to be and he assigns the duties accordingly. Our boat "lost" the race but it was great fun. If you are in fairly good shape, you should have no problem.:) And we aren't all that young!:p

Archived