Skagway Ideas - Not Train or Dyea Dave Tour

Flredhead

Looking for suggestions. Family of 10 people: 71 to 3. We are firming up plans for each port but Skagway is causing difficulties. We do not want to go on train ride; we have done them before but too long and boring for small children. The reviews on Cruise Critic have been such over several months that I do not want to go with Dyea Dave tours as he has been unreliable for many. It would be awful to book someone and then not have them show up! Are there other small tour operators that are good and reliable?

I would appreciate other suggestions besides train and Dave to do in 14 hours in Skagway on June 29th.

Looking for suggestions. Family of 10 people: 71 to 3. We are firming up plans for each port but Skagway is causing difficulties. We do not want to go on train ride; we have done them before but too long and boring for small children. The reviews on Cruise Critic have been such over several months that I do not want to go with Dyea Dave tours as he has been unreliable for many. It would be awful to book someone and then not have them show up! Are there other small tour operators that are good and reliable?

I would appreciate other suggestions besides train and Dave to do in 14 hours in Skagway on June 29th.

Without knowing more about this, you shouldn't be too negative. I've read about this on a couple of occasions, but it is quite possible that these people were late as well. He specifically told me to be there are 7:30 for my tour with him. I've been told that he is emphasizing this, due to the fact that he has been blamed for not showing and that is simply not the case. DYEA Dave tours has overwhelmingly good reviews vs. bad reviews. No tour company is perfect, you can't please them all. Besides, he states that if you don't like the tour, you don't have to pay him. If that's not a guarantee, I don't know what else is?

Edited by AmazingJourneys

Does everyone in your group have to do the same thing? Perhaps some would like to take the train, while others do something else.

You could rent two cars and drive the klondike highway.

There are several hikes that some of you can take.

Here is a link to some information on Skagway:

http://www.skagway.com/activities.html

Chilkoot operates some bus tours. I also see a fishing charter listed:

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/

The National Park Service has some activities:

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/index.htm

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/shorterdayhikes.htm

It sounds to me as if the idea of renting cars (or sometimes Avis Skagway has vans available) and driving over the pass would be ideal for your group. You can make frequent stops along the way and let the kids run around while you admire the scenery or take pics. The kids would love the dog camp at Caribou Crossing. Well, so would the adults! ;)

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/skagway.html

There are lots of other things to do in Skagway, too. Some that we have enjoyed are at

http://www.bully4.us/alaskaexcursions.html#skagway

I follow this board a lot and have seen pretty much rave reviews for Dyea Dave. You must remember that a single poster with some sort of complaint often has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We booked through this company http://www.klondiketours.com They have rafting, fishing, White Pass/Summit tours, Liarsville Salmon Bake, ect. This will be the first time I will be using them, but they were recommended by a reliable source :) We are doing the Summit and then the Salmon Bake with them :D

Edited by Mrs007

We are taking the ferry to Haines since our ship does not stop there. There is a river float through the bald eagle sanctuary that sounds interesting.

A caution - don't expect to see a lot of eagles there. The huge gathering happens in the winter, and you'll see just as many in downtown Ketchikan.

We are taking the ferry to Haines since our ship does not stop there. There is a river float through the bald eagle sanctuary that sounds interesting.

I've done this. As Yukon says, there will not be an abundance of eagles. I actually saw more on the dock in Sitka than on the raft float in Haines. But, I did enjoy just floating down the shallow river and taking in the scenery, especially if everyone on the raft stays quiet and you can take it all in.

I will warn you though, the trip I went on, they had us take our shoes off and put on rubber boots. Trust me, the boots are loose and cold, and add to that your feet are resting on a thin rubber raft floating on glacier cold water :eek: BRING AN EXTRA PAIR OF WARM SOCKS for when you take your shoes off ;)

I saw several horseback riding options. None of them worked out for me :(, but it looked cool.

Souteast tours had a flexible option of a van up to the Yukon and then you could either ride or go??? just remember there were options so the group could split and get back together.

Skagway can be a problem if you have been there before and done the train route. Unfortunately, Skagway itself is not big. Are you all trying to do an activity together or can you split up? I think with that age range it might be hard to cover all interest not to mention that size. I think the older ones, if they have not been there before would love the train, the scenery is incredible. The kids probably would get bored. I would recommend Chilkoot Charters, I think they have the best itineraries for the train.

There is 6 in my family going in July and everyone wants to fish except me, I'm the photographer. We have plans at the other ports, so Skagway is the only port left to go fishing even though I have heard it is not the best port to fish. I am looking at 2 charter companies, Fat Salmon & Choctaw charters for fishing. Keep in mind that the boats for fishing only hold up to 6 guest and only 4 can fish at a time, as to not tangle up the lines, so all of you won't be able to be together.

I have not used DYEA Dave but I would not be concerned about using him, the positive feedbacks are much higher then the negatives and there is always 2 sides to a story. Again, I have not used him, though.

Perhaps you could rent 2 cars but personally my kids at that age would of hated it. Kids that age like to physically do activities especially after being on a ship, they like to spread their wings :D

We enjoyed the "Days of '98" show. Walked up Broadway, got tickets at the theatre and then walked around until time for show. Also have enjoyed the walk to Yakutania Point. Can get maps for this and other walks and hikes at the NPS office. To get to the start of the walk, you walk toward the river and bypass the airport. There is a footbridge over the Skagway River. Then turn left and follow the signs.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

I now have Juneau (Marv n Harv, whale watching) and Ketchikan (Northern Lights Charter, fishing) planned and am still toying with different suggestions for Skagway. Both of my reserved tours so far are because of suggestions and recommendations from

Cruise Critic members. I am SO Excited about our plans to date. Keep those Skagway ideas coming.

Another very happy Dyea Dan customer. He won't wait very long for late customers. Not fair to those who come on time. He doesn't require pre-payment. I suspect some passengers who sleep late and knowingly skip the trip don't call.

Dan provides his cell number. Call if you can't find him or if you're going to be a few minutes delayed.

One person in our group had a wheelchair. He split us up. Got a second driver with a van. He thought we'd have a better time.

One point I suggest, is to split up. It is highly doubtful all these people are on the same page. Touring is vast and just excellent in Alaska, Costly as well, I see no point in dragging someone along with isn't interested and having others miss out some other priority tour, because the "group" has to stay together.

There is a wide range of Skagway activities to consider, hiking is superb. The rafting of the Taiya is just excellent for scenery compared to the Chilkoot River out of Haines, just my opinion, having done both. Just as much chance to see eagles.

There are countless rave reports about Dyea Dave. And last season had many satisified customers on this board.

Request the visitor guide http://www.skagway.com

Edited by Budget Queen

I am looking at the ferry to Haines and doing a kayak tour. Anyone kayak around Haines?

Ship tour Kayaking is on Chilkoot Lake, not real "exciting" in my opinion. But simple for first timers. I have a preference for sea kayaking myself. I suggest you find out the details of this tour, especially if they only include an hour of kayaking (about all you need), which can be less, by the time everyone loads/unloads etc.

Ship tour Kayaking is on Chilkoot Lake, not real "exciting" in my opinion. But simple for first timers. I have a preference for sea kayaking myself. I suggest you find out the details of this tour, especially if they only include an hour of kayaking (about all you need), which can be less, by the time everyone loads/unloads etc.

Thanks for the thoughts. I kayak a lot but my husband does not. The actual company didn't really want to give up too much info aside from go thru my cruise line. Hmmm...Ketchikan...orcas cove... I'm crosseyed