St. Petersburg w/ Kids - how does this look?

Hello!!!

We are a young family with 2 children (6, 8). We're Americans but live overseas and are VERY used to doing major city tours about once per month. We are booked on a cruise that does only 1 day in St. Petersburg - so we're looking to make the most of it.

I've come up with what I think are the major highlights that we'll want to see.

I'd love feedback from anyone who's "been there, done that" and let me know if I'm missing something, or what not.

I've already emailed a few tour operators and they seem to think that we have enough time for all of it....

Peterhof - tour of the gardens and fountains,

return to St.Petersburg by hydrofoil across the Gulf of Finland

inside visit to the Hermitage & Church of Spilled Blood in the afternoon (keeping it brief).

Some shopping time / time for lunch (we can bring quick sandwiches from the ship)

canal boat tour or city tour to see famous landmarks/photo stops

metro station stops to see some of the beautiful stations

We arrive in port at 7am and depart at 7pm, giving us roughly 9 hours to explore.

- Thank you!

Your plan looks good. I would only suggest trying to grab a quick lunch at a blini restaurant if you can. My dd loved trying the local foods in each port. I'm not sure about bringing sandwiches from the ship. I usually try to do that too but I have heard of people being stopped from bringing food into the country. If you are able to, or if you pick something portable up in the city, you could always eat on the canal cruise. It is a very relaxed way to see the city. A picnic lunch or snack would probably be very welcome by the kids. Be sure to pack a COMPLETE change of clothes for each child. My dd had such a ball playing in the fountains at Peterhof. She was soaked to the skin - as if she was swimming.

If you haven't looked at it yet check out the thread on this board about doing the Baltics with kids. I posted a lot of info there about our experience last summer with our then 4 1/2 yr old dd. Post again if you have any questions.

Edit: I almost forgot. Try to make sure each child has a kid safe camera. My dd loved taking her own pictures of the palaces and other sites.

Hello!!!

We are a young family with 2 children (6, 8). We're Americans but live overseas and are VERY used to doing major city tours about once per month. We are booked on a cruise that does only 1 day in St. Petersburg - so we're looking to make the most of it.

I've come up with what I think are the major highlights that we'll want to see.

I'd love feedback from anyone who's "been there, done that" and let me know if I'm missing something, or what not.

I've already emailed a few tour operators and they seem to think that we have enough time for all of it....

Peterhof - tour of the gardens and fountains,

return to St.Petersburg by hydrofoil across the Gulf of Finland

inside visit to the Hermitage & Church of Spilled Blood in the afternoon (keeping it brief).

Some shopping time / time for lunch (we can bring quick sandwiches from the ship)

canal boat tour or city tour to see famous landmarks/photo stops

metro station stops to see some of the beautiful stations

We arrive in port at 7am and depart at 7pm, giving us roughly 9 hours to explore.

- Thank you!

Your itinerary looks fine. A couple of questions though.

You have inside visit to Hermitage and Church of the Spilled Blood (keeping it brief).

If you are trying to keep your visit to the Hermitage brief, you will be missing a lot. Most tour groups spend about 2 1/2 hours in the Hermitage and basically just see the highlites. A visit to the Church of the Spilled Blood can be brief. You can do it in maybe 20 minutes.

Also, you mentioned a canal crusie or a city highlites tour. While the canal crusie is definitely great, if you had a choice between the two, I think you might see more with the city tour. That said, I also think the kids would like the canal boat ride better than sitting in a bus.

And I would also suggest you try and stop at something Russian for lunch. The blini places are quick and delicious. Also the kids might like that better than something off the ship. Hey, you can always tell your guides that MacDonald's will also do. They are all over.

A few pix of some of the things you were looking into

Video of the Hydrofoil boat ride

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster843.flv

Fortress of Peter and Paul as seen from the canal boat ride

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster760.jpg

Video of Peterhof and some of the fountains

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster838.flv

Chandelier inside one of the metro stations

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe850.jpg

Blini restaurant we stopped at for lunch

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe906.jpg

Some of the magnificent works of art in the Hermitage

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe920.jpg

Just remember, whatever you see and do, will be memories for a lifetime. Just enjoy yourself

Cheers

Len

Hello!!! We are a young family with 2 children (6, 8). We're Americans but live overseas and are VERY used to doing major city tours about once per month. We are booked on a cruise that does only 1 day in St. Petersburg - so we're looking to make the most of it. I've come up with what I think are the major highlights that we'll want to see.I'd love feedback from anyone who's "been there, done that" and let me know if I'm missing something, or what not. I've already emailed a few tour operators and they seem to think that we have enough time for all of it.... Peterhof - tour of the gardens and fountains, return to St.Petersburg by hydrofoil across the Gulf of Finland inside visit to the Hermitage & Church of Spilled Blood in the afternoon (keeping it brief). Some shopping time / time for lunch (we can bring quick sandwiches from the ship) canal boat tour or city tour to see famous landmarks/photo stops metro station stops to see some of the beautiful stations. We arrive in port at 7am and depart at 7pm, giving us roughly 9 hours to explore. - Thank you!

Agree with Len and sbhdmh that you've got a good plan and are headed in the right direction with your limited time in St. Petersburg. We did the Canal Tour and liked it (great to rest up from all of the walking and standing). But we had two full days in St. Petersburg and had done a long day in Moscow, also, the day prior. I would skip the Canal Tour and allow some added time for the Hermitage, etc. Spilled Blood is super, but it does not require a huge amount of time. Even if you are not an art lover, the Hermitage is a huge, great palace with many spectacular rooms, interesting other items to see and enjoy, nice views out its windows, etc. Lunch? We did a box lunch from our ship and enjoyed it with the van table up after doing the Hermitage as we parked overlooking Palace Square and Alexander's Column. It saved time and was a nice experience. If it doesn't take too much time, doing a Russian place for lunch can work well, too. Doing the Peterhof, hydrofoil, Spilled Blood, etc. are all super great. Below are some visual samples for what you will see and enjoy with your plan.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The Grand Staircase at St. Petersburg’s Hermitage:

1A-StP-HermitageGrandStairs.jpg

Examing one of the highly-detailed tables in the vast Hermitage collection that includes more than just paintings:

1A-StP-HermitageTableViewing.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, just one of many, many great galleries:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

These are the surprise fountains that go off on the hour to the delight of kids and others at the Peterhof:

1A-Peterhof-SurpriseFountains.jpg

Fountains and water at spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg:

A-StP-PeterhofFount.jpg

Showing the Spilled Blood spectacular ceiling with the large hanging light chandeliers:

StpSpBloodChandl.jpg

This is one time I am going to disagree with Len and Terry. Doing St Petersburg with children is a bit different. My dd has grown up visiting art museums but even she could not have done a long tour at the Hermitage. The OP says her children are well traveled but even so, they are children. A brief visit to the Hermitage is probably a good way to go. If you have to give up something I agree the canal boat is not necessary. It is nice, though, and matched the fountains at Peterhof as the top recommendation we received when planning with our dd in mind.

This is one time I am going to disagree with Len and Terry. Doing St Petersburg with children is a bit different. My dd has grown up visiting art museums but even she could not have done a long tour at the Hermitage. The OP says her children are well traveled but even so, they are children. A brief visit to the Hermitage is probably a good way to go. If you have to give up something I agree the canal boat is not necessary. It is nice, though, and matched the fountains at Peterhof as the top recommendation we received when planning with our dd in mind.

I'll agree with sbhdmh disagreeing with us!!! It is about the children. We don't know them and their interests, tastes, etc. I would discuss these various options with them to see what fits their interests. That's the nice thing about a private tour. You can make things fits your pacing and needs. You can also make some adjustments during the day depending on weather, what you're seeing and liking, etc. Your time is limited, but you can make some of these adjustments as you go along during this exciting visit to St. Petersburg.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

FWIW, we toured St. Petersburg 2 days with our kids, who were 14 and 10 at the time. The older one loved the Hermitage, but the younger one found it too crowded and not that interesting. Both loved everything else you're planning, including the canal boat ride. We didn't stop for lunch either day. I think you have an excellent plan for kids of that age. Have a great trip!

I defer to the ones that know this the best. Take their advice.

Cheers

Len

Archived