Questions now that room is assigned Majesty

Happy we finally got our room assignments. We paid our cruise up right after the new year. Thought we would have to wait till we boarded the ship. We did OK. This is the first time we ever tried a guarantee room. Our assignment came right after everyone had to pay in full Jan 28th. Few days later up it came. Since we booked way back in August we got a really low rate, so we thought we would be in the crew rooms frankly. So to end up on Deck 5 hey thats great. We are way forward but did not expect mid ship.

Now I have questions?

Can they change our room again? Would they notify us or should we just keep checking to be sure?

How loud are the anchor drops? Since we stop somewhere everyday will I hear it every day? Or just Coco Cay? Excuse my ignorance do they anchor at dock? Or just tie off? I plan to use ear plugs.

Also how much rocking motion is there? Huge difference from midship? Always had a mid ship cabin before this one. Should I bring Ginger pills? Never sea sick before, just have to be careful pulling out of ports for some reason can not look at the shore. Only forward or aft, strange but can live with that.

Excited to be trying RCCL have heard good things. No allegiance to any cruise line just yet. Being budget conscience always go for best price then ports, etc.

Anyone know what dry dock changes were to the Majesty?

Hey thanks for reading.

Happy we finally got our room assignments. We paid are cruise up right after the new year. Thought we would have to wait till we boarded the ship. We did OK. This is the first time we ever tried a guarantee room. Our assignment came right after everyone had to pay in full Jan 28th. Few days later up it came. Since we booked way back in August we got a really low rate, so we thought we would be in the crew rooms frankly. So to end up on Deck 5 hey thats great. We are way forward but did not expect mid ship.

Now I have questions?

Can they change our room again? Would they notify us or should we just keep checking to be sure?

How loud are the anchor drops? Since we stop somewhere everyday will I hear it every day? Or just Coco Cay? Excuse my ignorance do they anchor at dock? Or just tie off? I plan to use ear plugs.

Also how much rocking motion is there? Huge difference from midship? Always had a mid ship cabin before this one. Should I bring Ginger pills? Never sea sick before, just have to be careful pulling out of ports for some reason can not look at the shore. Only forward or aft, strange but can live with that.

Excited to be trying RCCL have heard good things. No allegiance to any cruise line just yet. Being budget conscience always go for best price then ports, etc.

Hey thanks for reading.

While it´s not likely they could change your room assignment again and no they would not necessarily contact you about this.

Ships do not drop anchor when docking. They will just tie up to the pier. If it´s a Tender port, they might or might not drop anchor. Modern ships have a so called DPS (Dynamic positioning system) the system is tied to a GPS and will hold the ship with the use of propulsion and thrusters in a certain position without dropping the anchor. This enables the ships to stay inplaces where they can´t drop the anchor i.e. to protect reefs.

However as you are asking about the noise issue connected with the dropping of the anchor, it´s a common misconception that the loud noise you can hear in the forward cabins is always the heavy anchor chain.

While dropping the anchor will cause some noise, it´s not the only noisy thing. Using the bow thrusters is noisy as well and can also reslut in some vibration. The bow thrusters are always used when docking and during sailaway and as I described above for tender ports they might be used all day to hold the ship in position.

Very informative. I was not sure with the Majesty being the oldest class of ship how advance their technology was. Makes sense they do not want to destroy the coral reef. So now I know to expect alot of noise AM and PM. I am an early riser so wont affect me so much, I hope. Just happy to be cruising again.

Thanks

Happy we finally got our room assignments. We paid our cruise up right after the new year. Thought we would have to wait till we boarded the ship. We did OK. This is the first time we ever tried a guarantee room. Our assignment came right after everyone had to pay in full Jan 28th. Few days later up it came. Since we booked way back in August we got a really low rate, so we thought we would be in the crew rooms frankly. So to end up on Deck 5 hey thats great. We are way forward but did not expect mid ship.

Now I have questions?

Hey thanks for reading.

Hey.... the Majesty does "tender" to Coco Cay.... and drops anchor :D

In Nassau and Key West... just tie up to the dock.....

The dry dock was mostly for "things" below... where passengers don't see.... however was told there would be a number of "improvements" on deck 11 - pool area. Also... cleaning everywhere and minor/necessary changes throughout.

We think the MJ is a wonderful ship - especially the staff/crew - enjoy. We are cruising her on 2/9 - the first cruise after she returns from dry-dock :)

PS - always bring ear-plugs and any seasick medicine... always can just take it home if not needed.... why take a chance. ;) We always complain because there is not much movement of the ship :p

Hey.... the Majesty does "tender" to Coco Cay.... and drops anchor :D

In Nassau and Key West... just tie up to the dock.....

The dry dock was mostly for "things" below... where passengers don't see.... however was told there would be a number of "improvements" on deck 11 - pool area. Also... cleaning everywhere and minor/necessary changes throughout.

We think the MJ is a wonderful ship - especially the staff/crew - enjoy. We are cruising her on 2/9 - the first cruise after she returns from dry-dock :)

PS - always bring ear-plugs and any seasick medicine... always can just take it home if not needed.... why take a chance. ;) We always complain because there is not much movement of the ship :p

Thanks for the reply and good advice. Good to hear the pool deck will get some attention and major cleaning overall. I think the pool deck gets the most use between the guests and just Mother Nature's wear and tear.

Have a great cruise and tell us how it was when you get back.

I believe for tendering into Cocoa Cay that Majest has to drop anchor.

Thanks for your reply. I will just expect lots of noise when coming to any stop. Forgive my lack of ship knowledge. When DH reads this he will say you are such a dork!!! But that what he gets for sleeping in and letting me run free on the internet.

Archived