Schooner Bar Piano Player

nubble88

How strange.:confused:

He must have lost his talent mid-Atlantic as he was certainly very good on Independence, the Schooner Bar was packed, the British audience loved him, he played anything he was asked to, and he played for hours and hours, way past midnight, as the audience wouldn't let him leave.

Diff'rent strokes as they say.....

I second that! I LOVED Paul and spending lots of time in the Schooner. We were on the 2 / 7 sailing on the Liberty,and I can't tell you how disappointed I was with the schooner. only spent 1 night there for a short time. Did not like his choice of songs at all.

I agree..Matt Yee is great. We did so much of the Oy OY OY..slurp that he actually had my DH up singing New York New York with a feather boa around his neck. Matt is quite the entertainer

Matt is on the Volendam Atlantis Charter for the next week. The cruise ends up in Sydney for Mardi Gras. You can keep up with his schedule at: www.mattyee.com.

We went on the Freedom this past November and the crowd didn't seem as excited as usual. We usually love going into the Schooner bar after the show and usually remain there for the evening. We only went two nights that week, but I think it was because of the pianist, not because of there being more to do because the ship is a bit bigger. Not sure if it will lose any of its excitement on the Oasis, but we sure hope to find that out next year!!

But I do agree, the Schooner Bar is the place to be in the evening to chat, sing, and have a grand time!

My personal favorite is Will Bailey. If any of you know who I am, I am certain you understand why he is my personal favorite and you are smiling right now. Will is usually on a European ship but hopefully he will be crossing the Atlantic soon. He starts promptly at 9:30 or whenever he is supposed to start and stays to the end, or longer if there is a good crowd. I think the Schooner Bar is one of the better venues on each ship. It is great for chatting, drinking, etc.

Bonnie,

I thought of you as soon as I saw this thread!!

• 1 month later...

Not one for remembering names but did see a big crowd in the Schooner Bar on our Serenade cruise. Lively group.

On a Mariner cruise we located one of our favorite bartenders in the Schooner Bar. The piano player sounded horrible. We mentioned this to the bartender and his response was "try being here every night".

With the right player and crowd the Schooner Bar can be a fun place.

We've been on Mariner with Brian Blatz, and he was VERY good!

My favorite, however, was on our last cruise - Grandeur, last fall.

His name - Don Alexander. While Brian is very good, he played many songs from sheet music.

Don Alexander played everything from memory!! The only one who could stump him was my 89-year-old mom!! She asked if he knew "Ding Dong Daddy From Dumas!" :p

In addition to playing everything from memory, Don also played a rhythm machine with his left foot, a harmonica (on Piano Man), AND a saxophone with his left hand!! He often would play the piano with his right hand, the sax with his left hand, the rhythms with his left foot, and the piano pedals with his right foot!!!

I asked him one night how many songs he knew, and he said about 2000!

I suggested that when he plays everything at once, he needs to have a spider monkey!!:D

Don is on NCL's Norwegian Sun, but if you get a chance to see him on RCL, be sure to check him out!

Mike McCabe was on the AOS Easter week. DH and I spent a little time in the Schooner Bar. Mike was good, but not good enough to keep us glued to our seats. It may have been the crowd too - they also seemed a little "lifeless".

Don Alexander sounds fantastic. I know I would have remembered him seeing that he can play all of those instruments. It is too bad that I have not had a cruise where he was playing the Schooner Bar. I will have to keep him in mind next time I am on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

Archived